Old 11-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #121
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
"...sometimes (or is that some times???)." Could be occasionally. One thing I don't recall being mentioned is the difference in US spelling and British spelling. Harbor/harbour, color/colour, center/centre, meter/metre etc. (ooh boy, the spell checker is NOT happy). I suppose one checks the spelling on a cheque.
Language IS alive and evolving. One of the references I use somewhat frequently is:Online Etymology Dictionary

Old 11-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #122
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
One thing I don't recall being mentioned is the difference in US spelling and British spelling.
In non-professional writing, I tend to use a combination of both. I use "metre" for example, rather than "meter." I use "grey," not "gray."

I also use UK expressions in speech like "move house" instead of "moving" (as in moving to a different house). I tend to use the word "petrol" rather than "gasoline" or "gas" just because "petrol" is more fun to say. In France, diesel fuel is called "gazole" and I've started using that word, too, just for fun.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #123

City: Billings
Vessel Name: Bladerunner
Vessel Model: Sea Ray
Grammatical Vexations

I wonder if this bothers others. I see frequent use of the possesive when the intent is plural. For instance--I saw three Nordhavn's at the marina It seems to be coming a de facto linguistic usage--that a plural is expressed with an apostrophe. I understand previous posts relating to the function of language--that of communication rather than a formal art form--but this bugs me. Should I just chill out?
tkrfxrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #124

Does anyone know how to override the Microsoft Word popup:

"You have used your allotment of spell check." I keep getting?
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #125
FF
Guru

>Does anyone know how to override the Microsoft Word popup:

"You have used your allotment of spell check." I keep getting?<

You can have mine!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #126
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
Does anyone know how to override the Microsoft Word popup:

"You have used your allotment of spell check." I keep getting?

Maybe you should start with a good anti-virus checker.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #127

City: Sausalito CA
Vessel Name: GRACE
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 EU
Just read a post in another thread on this forum--the author said "laying a hull" instead of "lying ahull." I don't even want to get close to touching that one!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #128
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrfxrs View Post
I wonder if this bothers others. I see frequent use of the possessive when the intent is plural. For instance--I saw three Nordhavn's at the marina It seems to be coming a de facto linguistic usage--that a plural is expressed with an apostrophe. I understand previous posts relating to the function of language--that of communication rather than a formal art form--but this bugs me. Should I just chill out?
Chilling is probably the best option. Over here we have a guy called "Apostrophe Man" whose job is to haunt signwriters who do signs advertising things like "Hamburgers`,Used Cars`, etc etc. He is kept very busy.
BTW I corrected the spelling of "possessive" above. I deny entirely being a language pedant.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
>Does anyone know how to override the Microsoft Word popup:

"You have used your allotment of spell check." I keep getting?<

You can have mine!
i was a high school drop out so you will have to put pu with me on this forum
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:23 AM   #130
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrfxrs View Post
I wonder if this bothers others. I see frequent use of the possesive when the intent is plural. For instance--I saw three Nordhavn's at the marina.
This drives me nuts. I wish I could ignore it, but it's like nails on a chalk board to me.

Here's one that I've noticed lately. People are leaving words out of their sentences. Instead of saying 'the generator needs to be rebuilt,' or 'the fence needs painting,' they'll say 'the generator needs rebuilt and the fence needs painted.'

More nails on the chalk board.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #131
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jerry View Post

You're alright in my book Captain Jerry

15 or so years ago during a subcontractor meeting the superintendent was complaining about graffiti in the outhouses. We where told the graffiti would be removed and if the offender identified his contractor would be back charged.

When asked for any questions I spoke up and asked if the graffiti had been spelled correctly? After being assured it was I proclaimed my crews innocence as everyone knows pipe fitters and welders cannot spell to save their life.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #132
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jerry View Post
Ah, now that is thread creep. You dyslexia types are always mixing that up.

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #133
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
When I see some posts I think the people who write them are elementary school dropouts.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
When I see some posts I think the people who write them are elementary school dropouts.
some people had to work in ther early teens and could not finish school, i went to sea when i was 16 yrs old. that was my school?
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #135
Guru

As a Site Team member I happily correct misspelt thread titles. But, when it comes to expression and spelling which I might think could be improved, I almost always hold back, unless I think meaning has been compromised to the extent the replies will be less helpful.
TF has all sorts of members from all sorts of backgrounds, with a range of language skills.For some, English is not their first language. That`s how we are, we should accept and accommodate, without denigrating other contributors.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #136
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
As a Site Team member I happily correct misspelt thread titles. But, when it comes to expression and spelling which I might think could be improved, I almost always hold back, unless I think meaning has been compromised to the extent the replies will be less helpful.
TF has all sorts of members from all sorts of backgrounds, with a range of language skills.For some, English is not their first language. That`s how we are, we should accept and accommodate, without denigrating other contributors.
Bruce - Well said! Thanks!!

There are a slight number of members on TF that hold themselves OHHHH so high in their own estimation. They should be, possibly would be, embarrassed if they realized how their denigrating statements toward others sound to generally thoughtful members. Their mental assaults toward others are grating to say the least.

Again, Thanks!

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #137
Guru

Thanks Art.
On a lighter note, a spelling mistake in the engraving on a grave stone was once referred to here as a "monumental error".
Old 11-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #138
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Thanks Art.
On a lighter note, a spelling mistake in the engraving on a grave stone was once referred to here as a "monumental error".

That is funny!

My uncle, Dwight Allen was a stone mason who hand carved cemetery stones. Built like a piece of granite himself, family members knew him as The Monumental Man!

BTW: Uncle Dwight was a well known exhibition high diver and speed swimmer. He swam with Johnny Weissmuller ( of "Tarzan" movies) and was hired to teach him fine points of high diving.

http://petenali.hubpages.com/hub/He-...ssmuller-story

Unfortunately due to uncle Dwight's and Aunt Dot's constant unprotected exposure to sun, Dwight's life ended too early. Dot followed via broken heart (heart attack in bed room) only months latter.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:24 PM   #139

City: Sausalito CA
Vessel Name: GRACE
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 EU
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

15 or so years ago during a subcontractor meeting the superintendent was complaining about graffiti in the outhouses. We where told the graffiti would be removed and if the offender identified his contractor would be back charged.

When asked for any questions I spoke up and asked if the graffiti had been spelled correctly? After being assured it was I proclaimed my crews innocence as everyone knows pipe fitters and welders cannot spell to save their life.
Hello, CP. I know you wrote this intentionally to see if we were paying attention. So you really proclaimed your "crew's" innocence as ... to save their "lives."
Don't hate me for this--my first Delta cruise (or was that crews) was with an Owens Aruba some 45 years ago. Loved it! So I'm a fan... See you next year.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #140
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

Case in point!! So tell us, are you a pipe fitter or a welder?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote