Old 11-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #101

City: Sausalito CA
Vessel Name: GRACE
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 EU
I love this thread. Hopefully people do not take offense personally, but I thoroughly enjoy discussion about "proper" grammar, and enthusiastically welcome correction as a learning experience. Thanks, Mason, for your input (tell me more about your publishing in a PM).
So let's get serious: when offering advice, don't ever tell someone to "make sure" because your can't "make" sure. I think the correct verbiage is "be sure." OK, hit me with your best shot...
Dawdler

Old 11-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #102
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
I love this thread. Hopefully people do not take offense personally, but I thoroughly enjoy discussion about "proper" grammar, and enthusiastically welcome correction as a learning experience. Thanks, Mason, for your input (tell me more about your publishing in a PM).
So let's get serious: when offering advice, don't ever tell someone to "make sure" because your can't "make" sure. I think the correct verbiage is "be sure." OK, hit me with your best shot...
Dawdler
I recommend maybe removing the "r"

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #103

Great catch, Art. Thanks. Must have been in a hurry. Perhaps I should "right" haste makes "waist" (look forward to seeing you in the Bay when I bring my boat down end of next summer.)
Old 11-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #104
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. D. "...haste makes "waist"...". Au contraire M. la sauterelle. FOOD makes waist...and waste (not going there with an illustration)

Oh ya, and beer too...
Old 11-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #105
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
RT, is that a "selfie"?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #106
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
What's actually more of a problem than the spellchecker is the word replacement coding or whatever it's called. This is the programming that decides for you what word you want before you've finished typing it.

Sometimes this can be helpful. But much of the time, it sticks in a a word that's not the one you thought you were typing. And if one is a fast typist, either on a computer keyboard or a phone, it's easy to just keep typing and assume the correct word went in.

I've had this happen a lot, which is one reason I try to carefully re-read what I've typed before I send it. But even then I may not catch it, as it's easy to "see" the correct word in a sentence when in fact, it's not the correct word.
Did you mean to add the second a before the word "word" or did you not catch the mistake?
:-)
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #107
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
I know that my grammer and my spelling are not the best .I started very early at raising a family and school was not my thing. My computer at home just crashed .I bought a new to me used dinghy instead of a new computer and I have a
dinghy. I'm thinking maybe you guys can relate to that purchase rather than a new computer with spell check .My cell phone is my current computer and I have carpenters fingers .They are all there but don't work like they used to .
I feel very fortunate to own a trawler and part of the boating world. If my spelling and grammer are not up to snuff just do what they do in Louisiana and "CHOOT EM"
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #108
Guru

If the spelling and grammar police want to get truly frustrated they could deal with me with or without out spell check. I have some variant of dyslexia that has never allowed me to deal well with spelling and grammar. I make the same errors over and over. I was otherwise an A student with difficult subject matter and was inducted into at least three national honor societies despite the glaring handicap. I personally think the language is overly complicated and should be more phonetic and intuitive. My wife on the other hand is a spelling and grammar marvel and can look at a professionally printed page and pick out the errors like a radar homing devise. Its nice to know somebody cares but I doubt that the collective body of able seamen and boaters do.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #109
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. e. We have a friend who is dyslexic and she joined the local chapter of DAM. Mothers Against Dyslexia.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #110
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
RTF, I think you hit a new low with that one. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #111
Guru

I just thought of a situation where spelling might be important. What if I receive a ten million dollar check and my name is so poorly spelled the bank wont take it?
Old 11-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #112
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I just thought of a situation where spelling might be important. What if I receive a ten million dollar check and my name is so poorly spelled the bank wont take it?
In a case like that. Simply wait to cash the check. Go to court and change your name to that spelling.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #113
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
In a case like that. Simply wait to cash the check. Go to court and change your name to that spelling.
What are the chances the court would settle anything before the check times out? What percent of the check would the lawyers demand?
Old 11-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #114
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Great catch, Art. Thanks. Must have been in a hurry. Perhaps I should "right" haste makes "waist" (look forward to seeing you in the Bay when I bring my boat down end of next summer.)
A Dawdler in a hurry. Now, that's a new one on me.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #115
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
I used to be an officer in my HOA. One of the problem owners was continually late with her annual payment. She was visiting my neighbor across the street so I asked her about her dues check. As you might imagine, the HOA had an official name on its bank account. This lady scribbled out a check to "HMO" (yes "HMO") and handed it to me. I gave it to the treasurer and he was able to deposit it without question.

I think if you were supposed to get the ten million dollars there would be a way to get it.

Mistakes in spelling and punctuation can completely change the meaning of what you write.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #116
Art
Guru

Quote:
What are the chances the court would settle anything before the check times out? What percent of the check would the lawyers demand?
If some organization or person issued me a $10M check (with misspelling of my name or not) it would be cold day in hell before I'd let that slip away to non-cashable... time out clause or otherwise.

Lawyers have knees too... just saying.

The fee best be commiserate with services performed, if a lawyer was even required at all. Contact ten lawyers if needed and get the best bid!

Where there is $10M available - There is always the WILL and a WAY to harness it.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #117

City: Nokomis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

The fee best be commiserate with services performed,

commensurate

But, I can commiserate with you for this mistake.
harbor950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #118
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbor950 View Post
commensurate

But, I can commiserate with you for this mistake.
WOOOOPS! - I have commensurate spots of egg on me face! LOL

I can hardly blame it on "spell check"... cause... there was a selection of three when I misspelled that word in the first place. I simply punched on an incorrect one. In my haste I didn't proof read.

BTW - I never could spell extremely well. Just seems like such a bore to memorize all those word spellings... that's what proof readers are for! I run by NY brand of phonetics. And, that can get cha in a world of hurt sometimes (or is that some times???).

Happy Spelling Daze! - Art
Old 11-07-2014, 01:36 AM   #119

The posts about dyslexia remind me of the dyslectic atheist-- he didn't believe in dogs...
Old 11-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #120
Guru

Quote:
The posts about dyslexia remind me of the dyslectic atheist-- he didn't believe in dogs...
When I moved into the city and the local laws called for following your dog with a scoop being an atheist and a dyslexic had little to do with my no longer believing in dogs. I do miss my dobermans.