Old 10-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #81
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I'm an ardent, severe traditionalist English major but even I don't care too much about the "no problem" habit. The intention is good, I figure they're just trying to be polite.

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #82

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
I am extremely tolerant with regards to English grammar. After all, this site attracts people from around the world. In my opinion, it's arrogant and petty to dwell on a poster's grammar. Especially when the meaning is usually clearly understood. But, if it makes you feel better about yourself, by all means, go ahead and point it out. I'd just prefer you do so internally....

Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #83

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I do hope you are joking...

There have been plenty of informative posts on TF from members not well able to articulate, grammartarize (there's a word for ya - lol), or even correctly spell English.

That was sarcasm Art. Your instinct, or hope, was correct. Hence the "good grief'.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #84
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Like it or not, people judge you on the impression you present. If you make a poor impression with bad grammar or spelling or misuse of words, they will tend to think you are less intelligent or knowledgeable than you may be.

When I was working there was a guy in the office in a low management position who had been promoted for political reasons (government job) from the trades. Spelling and grammar were not his high points.

He would often compose memos and send them around the office. They were so poorly spelled and worded that it got to the point that we made a game of circling his mistakes and the winner was the one who caught the most.

One time he decided that signs were needed in the hallways and he had several made up and installed. There was a misspelling on the signs.

In my observation, members on this forum do a lot better with spelling, grammar and word use than people on so other forums I participate in. I suppose the reason has to do with education and earning power.

I have been on the receiving end of a few posts on word usage but I like to think I learn something every day so if I can learn from a post and appear smarter the next day I'm not going to get upset about it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #85
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
For real confusion what if you have your wench use the winch to pull the anchor or your winch operated by your wench to pull the anchor. Or if your winch is broken and you order your wench to pull the anchor, or if your wench is broken and...........
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #86
Guru

Hey Ron, thank god for spell check......
Old 10-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #87
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Mule, What if your wench has to use a wrench to fix the winch?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #88
Guru

I operated dazed and confused. I would be lost
Old 10-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #89
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Or what if your wench fixes your winch with a wrench and then you need to wrench your wench off of your winch?
hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #90
Guru

When my wife accepted a job at an elementary as. PRINCIPAL and on the sign out front was "Welcome Mrs ___________, our new Principle". She was the go to proof reader as asst principal at her previous school. She came home that day, smiled and rolled her eyes. I ask how long it was that way for the community to see in front of their place of learning. Answer, "less than 5 minutes after my arrival."
Old 10-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Or what if your wench fixes your winch with a wrench and then you need to wrench your wench off of your winch?
That calls for lube. And a bigger wrench I would guess.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #92
Guru

There's a church I pass on the way to my marina that puts this sign out every now and then:

Chicken Diner $6.00
Old 10-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #93

City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Like it or not, people judge you on the impression you present. If you make a poor impression with bad grammar or spelling or misuse of words, they will tend to think you are less intelligent or knowledgeable than you may be.

When I was working there was a guy in the office in a low management position who had been promoted for political reasons (government job) from the trades. Spelling and grammar were not his high points.

He would often compose memos and send them around the office. They were so poorly spelled and worded that it got to the point that we made a game of circling his mistakes and the winner was the one who caught the most.

One time he decided that signs were needed in the hallways and he had several made up and installed. There was a misspelling on the signs.

In my observation, members on this forum do a lot better with spelling, grammar and word use than people on so other forums I participate in. I suppose the reason has to do with education and earning power.

I have been on the receiving end of a few posts on word usage but I like to think I learn something every day so if I can learn from a post and appear smarter the next day I'm not going to get upset about it.
there is a huge difference in calling someone ignorant for misspelling something on a forum as opposed to a work place environment
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
there is a huge difference in calling someone ignorant for misspelling something on a forum as opposed to a work place environment
Yes there is. I don't recall anyone calling anyone ignorant though.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #95
Guru

Is it fish sticks or cod rods?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #96
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #97
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
What about sweet and sour chicken balls? Chickens don't have....oh, never mind.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
When my wife accepted a job at an elementary as. PRINCIPAL and on the sign out front was "Welcome Mrs ___________, our new Principle". She was the go to proof reader as asst principal at her previous school. She came home that day, smiled and rolled her eyes. I ask how long it was that way for the community to see in front of their place of learning. Answer, "less than 5 minutes after my arrival."
I was an electronic technician in the maintenance department of a very large public school system. Over 200 schools, over 350 trades people in the maintenance department not counting custodians.

They had a couple vacant school buildings and they would move the staff and students into one of these while the original school was being renovated.

One of the carpenters was tasked with moving the metal letters spelling out "XXX School" from the old building to the new one. He had to drill the brick, install anchors, and bolt the letters on. He misspelled "School". A staff member pointed it out to him and he was able to correct the spelling before too many people saw it.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #99
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
The most bothersome word to me is use of "anyway[s]". Such as: I don't like that car anyways. or... You never should have done that anyways. It is a crude dialectic diversion off the word "anyway", which stands on its own volition for singular or plural in context of sentence. Not too unlike the animal word deer[s].

Although, unlike deer[s] that give plural intent but no possessive word qualities... anyway[s] acts as a dialect spelling in attempt to make it sound more representative of both plural and possessive.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #100
Scraping Paint

City: -
What's actually more of a problem than the spellchecker is the word replacement coding or whatever it's called. This is the programming that decides for you what word you want before you've finished typing it.

Sometimes this can be helpful. But much of the time, it sticks in a a word that's not the one you thought you were typing. And if one is a fast typist, either on a computer keyboard or a phone, it's easy to just keep typing and assume the correct word went in.

I've had this happen a lot, which is one reason I try to carefully re-read what I've typed before I send it. But even then I may not catch it, as it's easy to "see" the correct word in a sentence when in fact, it's not the correct word.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote