Spelling for Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or what if your wench fixes your winch with a wrench and then you need to wrench your wench off of your winch?

That calls for lube. And a bigger wrench I would guess.
:rofl:

There's a church I pass on the way to my marina that puts this sign out every now and then:

Chicken Diner $6.00

Like it or not, people judge you on the impression you present. If you make a poor impression with bad grammar or spelling or misuse of words, they will tend to think you are less intelligent or knowledgeable than you may be.

When I was working there was a guy in the office in a low management position who had been promoted for political reasons (government job) from the trades. Spelling and grammar were not his high points.

He would often compose memos and send them around the office. They were so poorly spelled and worded that it got to the point that we made a game of circling his mistakes and the winner was the one who caught the most.

One time he decided that signs were needed in the hallways and he had several made up and installed. There was a misspelling on the signs.

In my observation, members on this forum do a lot better with spelling, grammar and word use than people on so other forums I participate in. I suppose the reason has to do with education and earning power.

I have been on the receiving end of a few posts on word usage but I like to think I learn something every day so if I can learn from a post and appear smarter the next day I'm not going to get upset about it.

there is a huge difference in calling someone ignorant for misspelling something on a forum as opposed to a work place environment :banghead:

there is a huge difference in calling someone ignorant for misspelling something on a forum as opposed to a work place environment :banghead:

Yes there is. I don't recall anyone calling anyone ignorant though.

Is it fish sticks or cod rods?

Greetings,
What about sweet and sour chicken balls? Chickens don't have....oh, never mind.
what.gif

When my wife accepted a job at an elementary as. PRINCIPAL and on the sign out front was "Welcome Mrs ___________, our new Principle". She was the go to proof reader as asst principal at her previous school. She came home that day, smiled and rolled her eyes. I ask how long it was that way for the community to see in front of their place of learning. Answer, "less than 5 minutes after my arrival.":D
I was an electronic technician in the maintenance department of a very large public school system. Over 200 schools, over 350 trades people in the maintenance department not counting custodians.

They had a couple vacant school buildings and they would move the staff and students into one of these while the original school was being renovated.

One of the carpenters was tasked with moving the metal letters spelling out "XXX School" from the old building to the new one. He had to drill the brick, install anchors, and bolt the letters on. He misspelled "School". A staff member pointed it out to him and he was able to correct the spelling before too many people saw it.

The most bothersome word to me is use of "anyway". Such as: I don't like that car anyways. or... You never should have done that anyways. It is a crude dialectic diversion off the word "anyway", which stands on its own volition for singular or plural in context of sentence. Not too unlike the animal word deer.

Although, unlike deer that give plural intent but no possessive word qualities... anyway acts as a dialect spelling in attempt to make it sound more representative of both plural and possessive.

What's actually more of a problem than the spellchecker is the word replacement coding or whatever it's called. This is the programming that decides for you what word you want before you've finished typing it.

Sometimes this can be helpful. But much of the time, it sticks in a a word that's not the one you thought you were typing. And if one is a fast typist, either on a computer keyboard or a phone, it's easy to just keep typing and assume the correct word went in.

I've had this happen a lot, which is one reason I try to carefully re-read what I've typed before I send it. But even then I may not catch it, as it's easy to "see" the correct word in a sentence when in fact, it's not the correct word.

I love this thread. Hopefully people do not take offense personally, but I thoroughly enjoy discussion about "proper" grammar, and enthusiastically welcome correction as a learning experience. Thanks, Mason, for your input (tell me more about your publishing in a PM).
So let's get serious: when offering advice, don't ever tell someone to "make sure" because your can't "make" sure. I think the correct verbiage is "be sure." OK, hit me with your best shot...:)
Dawdler

I love this thread. Hopefully people do not take offense personally, but I thoroughly enjoy discussion about "proper" grammar, and enthusiastically welcome correction as a learning experience. Thanks, Mason, for your input (tell me more about your publishing in a PM).
So let's get serious: when offering advice, don't ever tell someone to "make sure" because your can't "make" sure. I think the correct verbiage is "be sure." OK, hit me with your best shot...:)
Dawdler

I recommend maybe removing the "r" :whistling:

Great catch, Art. Thanks. Must have been in a hurry. Perhaps I should "right" haste makes "waist" (look forward to seeing you in the Bay when I bring my boat down end of next summer.)

Greetings,
Mr. D. "...haste makes "waist"...". Au contraire M. la sauterelle. FOOD makes waist...and waste (not going there with an illustration)
th

Oh ya, and beer too...

What's actually more of a problem than the spellchecker is the word replacement coding or whatever it's called. This is the programming that decides for you what word you want before you've finished typing it.

Sometimes this can be helpful. But much of the time, it sticks in a a word that's not the one you thought you were typing. And if one is a fast typist, either on a computer keyboard or a phone, it's easy to just keep typing and assume the correct word went in.

I've had this happen a lot, which is one reason I try to carefully re-read what I've typed before I send it. But even then I may not catch it, as it's easy to "see" the correct word in a sentence when in fact, it's not the correct word.

Did you mean to add the second a before the word "word" or did you not catch the mistake?
:)

I know that my grammer and my spelling are not the best .I started very early at raising a family and school was not my thing. My computer at home just crashed .I bought a new to me used dinghy instead of a new computer and I have a
dinghy:facepalm:. I'm thinking maybe you guys can relate to that purchase rather than a new computer with spell check .My cell phone is my current computer and I have carpenters fingers .They are all there but don't work like they used to .
I feel very fortunate to own a trawler and part of the boating world. If my spelling and grammer are not up to snuff just do what they do in Louisiana and "CHOOT EM"

If the spelling and grammar police want to get truly frustrated they could deal with me with or without out spell check. I have some variant of dyslexia that has never allowed me to deal well with spelling and grammar. I make the same errors over and over. I was otherwise an A student with difficult subject matter and was inducted into at least three national honor societies despite the glaring handicap. I personally think the language is overly complicated and should be more phonetic and intuitive. My wife on the other hand is a spelling and grammar marvel and can look at a professionally printed page and pick out the errors like a radar homing devise. Its nice to know somebody cares but I doubt that the collective body of able seamen and boaters do.

Greetings,
Mr. e. We have a friend who is dyslexic and she joined the local chapter of DAM. Mothers Against Dyslexia.
fozzie-facepalm.gif

RTF, I think you hit a new low with that one. Keep up the good work!

I just thought of a situation where spelling might be important. What if I receive a ten million dollar check and my name is so poorly spelled the bank wont take it?

I just thought of a situation where spelling might be important. What if I receive a ten million dollar check and my name is so poorly spelled the bank wont take it?

In a case like that. Simply wait to cash the check. Go to court and change your name to that spelling. :popcorn:

In a case like that. Simply wait to cash the check. Go to court and change your name to that spelling. :popcorn:
What are the chances the court would settle anything before the check times out? What percent of the check would the lawyers demand?

Great catch, Art. Thanks. Must have been in a hurry. Perhaps I should "right" haste makes "waist" (look forward to seeing you in the Bay when I bring my boat down end of next summer.)

A Dawdler in a hurry. Now, that's a new one on me.:D

I used to be an officer in my HOA. One of the problem owners was continually late with her annual payment. She was visiting my neighbor across the street so I asked her about her dues check. As you might imagine, the HOA had an official name on its bank account. This lady scribbled out a check to "HMO" (yes "HMO") and handed it to me. I gave it to the treasurer and he was able to deposit it without question.

I think if you were supposed to get the ten million dollars there would be a way to get it.

Mistakes in spelling and punctuation can completely change the meaning of what you write.

What are the chances the court would settle anything before the check times out? What percent of the check would the lawyers demand?

If some organization or person issued me a $10M check (with misspelling of my name or not) it would be cold day in hell before I'd let that slip away to non-cashable... time out clause or otherwise. :facepalm:

Lawyers have knees too... just saying. :popcorn:

The fee best be commiserate with services performed, if a lawyer was even required at all. Contact ten lawyers if needed and get the best bid! :thumb:

Where there is $10M available - There is always the WILL and a WAY to harness it. :D

commensurate

But, I can commiserate with you for this mistake.

WOOOOPS! - I have commensurate spots of egg on me face! LOL

I can hardly blame it on "spell check"... cause... there was a selection of three when I misspelled that word in the first place. I simply punched on an incorrect one. In my haste I didn't proof read.

BTW - I never could spell extremely well. Just seems like such a bore to memorize all those word spellings... that's what proof readers are for! I run by NY brand of phonetics. And, that can get cha in a world of hurt sometimes (or is that some times???). :rofl:

Happy Spelling Daze! - Art

Last edited:
The posts about dyslexia remind me of the dyslectic atheist-- he didn't believe in dogs...

The posts about dyslexia remind me of the dyslectic atheist-- he didn't believe in dogs...

When I moved into the city and the local laws called for following your dog with a scoop being an atheist and a dyslexic had little to do with my no longer believing in dogs. I do miss my dobermans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom