Old 10-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #61
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
If I may interject at this point...There have been several suggestions, and good ones at that, regarding proper word usage and spelling BUT there are a number of members whose first language is NOT English. To those members who hesitate to post because they think they will be made fun of or badly thought of for their less than "perfect" use of the vocabulary...Please post. Your input IS valuable and no-one will or SHOULD criticize you for your use of English.
To the rest, continue on.

Yes, continue to post!! You're doing better than I could if I had to try it in your language!
I'm english only and not a professional in it.
Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #62
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
But Marin there still can't be rope in a rode. Any rope in a rode has been put to use aboard a boat and is therefore line and not rope.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #63
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Marin. I think I've been touting saloon for years on TF so it most probably WAS me that may have convinced not only you but others of the proper use of the term. Salon. Indeed!
You've touched a very sensitive chord in my psyche...Long version, so crank it!

Old 10-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #64
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
As the original poster of this thread I am compelled to clarify my reasons for starting the thread. It was not meant to criticize, or to correct any members' use of the language rather to have some "fun with words." We all make grammatical errors and spelling errors. TF is, and should be a friendly place and nobody should be afraid to post because of language difficulties. So, in the spirit of continuing the fun:

Why does our boat have a roll of aluminum foil while many others apparently have "tin foil?"

And, is it only on the east coast, or is it nationwide that the term "you're welcome" is disappearing from the lexicon? As a child I was taught that if a person said "thank you," the polite response was "you're welcome." Now, more often than not, if I say "thank you," the response I hear is "no problem." I never posed a problem, I simply expressed my thanks. Is it any wonder that English is so hard for a non English speaking person to learn?

Imagine trying to learn the word "up." The student is faced with:

Go up, wake up, what's up, give up, look up, screw up, f... up, pony up, blow up, cough up, which way is up, cheer up, etc., etc. not easy to define is it?

Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #65
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. hm. You forgot suit-up.

Oh, and it's aluminium for those who speak the "Queen's English".
Old 10-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #66
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
RT,
The death rays can't penetrate my oxygen tent. Contact me when it's safe to come out.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #67
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
But Marin there still can't be rope in a rode. Any rope in a rode has been put to use aboard a boat and is therefore line and not rope.
Of course there can. ""Line"is not a material, but something made out of a material. A line in logging (as in high-line, sky-line, haul-back line) is made of cable or wire rope. A line in sailing (as in halyard, clew outhaul, etc.) can be made of rope (often Dacron in the case of running rigging) or wire (more common for standing rigging).

If you're going to make a line for a boat, you buy the material (Nylon, Dacron, both of which are types of rope, wire, etc) and make a line out of it which probably includes some form of attachment, either hardware or a spliced-in loop.

So, according to Chapman's and other sources, the thing you pick up and use on your boat is a line. That line is made out of a material, which is rope in the case of most lines on the kinds of boats we have. In my edition of Chapman's (62nd edition) the definitions and descriptions of the different kinds of rope used for the lines on a boat start on page 277.

An anchor rode is a line. Like all lines on a boat, a rode is made of something. In the case of the typical, non-chain rode used on boats like ours, the rode (line) is made of Nylon (rope). As opposed to chain, wire rope, etc. Hence, you have a rope rode. As opposed to a chain rode or a cable rode. "Rope" (what the line is made of) and "rode" (the name of the line connecting the anchor to the boat).
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #68
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Go up, wake up, what's up, give up, look up, screw up, f... up, pony up, blow up, cough up, which way is up, cheer up, etc., etc. not easy to define is it?

Howard
Action words in most languages are difficult. Depending on how they're used they can go from being an adjective, to a noun, verb, etc.

My girlfriend is a citizen of Spain and many of our expressions are similar, but the idioms, throw her a curve, (no pun intended) and often are meaningless. Also end up as topics for long dinner time discussions.

Example: "Out" . . . . the runner is out of gas, I feel out of it, out for revenge, out of the way.

She thought Outback steak house was named after a city in Australia. Since in the few movies she's seen, the Aussies are always heading there. (Must be Crocodile Dundee movies, I'm afraid to ask )

But she's only been here for 12 years, so we're still working on it and I've learned not to laugh (on the outside)!!
Old 10-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #69

City: Nokomis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Of course there can.

If you are not inclined to read all that Marin wrote:

When a rope is cut into a length to be used on a boat, it becomes a line.
harbor950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #70
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Gas is NOT a motor fuel.

A motor=

An engine=

Or so my Grandfather would insist

*I like the definitions provided by WordNet and their definition is the way I've understood the difference:
  • A motor is a machine that converts other forms of energy into mechanical energy and so imparts motion.
  • An engine is a motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work.
So an engine is a specific type of motor. That's why it's not incorrect to speak of a motorboat, or a motorcar, or a motor speedway, even if the boat or car is clearly powered by combustion.
Note that if there's no combustion, there's no engine. Purely electric cars don't have engines.
As nouns, motor can also refer to a nonspecific agent that causes motion: "happiness is the aim of all men and the motor of all action", and engine can refer to something used to achieve a purpose: "an engine of change", a railway locomotive, or a machine used in warfare: "medieval engines of war".

*http://english.stackexchange.com/que...gine-and-motor
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #71
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
And, is it only on the east coast, .... if I say "thank you," the response I hear is "no problem."
It's not an east coast thing, it's a world thing. In France, I often hear (or say myself) pas de probleme in response to merci. In Australia there is the classic "no worries" response. In the UK, I hear "no problem" as often as I do in the US. Even in China, if I thank someone with "xie-xie" (more or less pronounced sheyeh-sheyeh) I'll get "no problem" back in English. And so it goes.....
Old 10-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #72
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. Marin. Ah, the French...As well as pas de probleme there is also or aussi, pas de tout et de rien. Mais, melange pas mois M. Marin...
More than you EVER would want to know about motor... Online Etymology Dictionary
and engine... Online Etymology Dictionary
Old 10-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #73
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The damn spill checker doesn't catch everything.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #74
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I don't understand what this thread is all about ? Might be because I'm just a hillbilly or maybe because I'm Sofa king we tart Ed
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #75
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
It's not an east coast thing, it's a world thing. In France, I often hear (or say myself) pas de probleme in response to merci. In Australia there is the classic "no worries" response. In the UK, I hear "no problem" as often as I do in the US. Even in China, if I thank someone with "xie-xie" (more or less pronounced sheyeh-sheyeh) I'll get "no problem" back in English. And so it goes.....
I have the same problem/issue! So why would it be a problem to do your job? A "you're welcome" would be much appreciated. And don't get me started on empty-headed sound fillers such as "you know" and such like.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #76
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
The damn spill checker doesn't catch everything.
"Spill" checker? You're pushing my buttons!
Old 10-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #77
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
"Spill" checker? You're pushing my buttons!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #78
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Nice to know you guys are playing attention.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:27 AM   #79
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I have the same problem/issue! So why would it be a problem to do your job? A "you're welcome" would be much appreciated.
If you drop something and I pick it up, that's not my job. I just happened to do it. I'm one of those who says "no problem" to someone who thanks me for doing something that I don't really have to do. It wasn't a problem for me to do it, so I say so.

Come to think of it, I probably say "No problem" to just about every "Thank you." If I carry the laundry out to the washing machine and my wife says "Thank you," I say "No problem."

I don't like saying "You're welcome." For whatever reason, that phrase always comes across as formal and phony to me. I think "No problem" actually sounds more sincere, but don't ask me why. And if I don't say "No problem," I think I generally say "Sure" instead.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #80
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
If you drop something and I pick it up, that's not my job. I just happened to do it. I'm one of those who says "no problem" to someone who thanks me for doing something that I don't really have to do. It wasn't a problem for me to do it, so I say so.

Come to think of it, I probably say "No problem" to just about every "Thank you." If I carry the laundry out to the washing machine and my wife says "Thank you," I say "No problem."

I don't like saying "You're welcome." For whatever reason, that phrase always comes across as formal and phony to me. I think "No problem" actually sounds more sincere, but don't ask me why. And if I don't say "No problem," I think I generally say "Sure" instead.
How bout... "My Pleasure"? I often reply with that phrase... because it usually is a pleasure to me when assisting others.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote