Speaker rattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ostriman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Our Happy Place
Vessel Make
Kha Shing Vista Sundeck Aft Cabin 46
All you certified audio buffs, heave to! New to me boat has a pretty good sound system installed by PO. Pyle 1500 watt amp drives some but not all of speakers. The part that grates on me is that the speakers rattle the side walls of the flybridge. Sitting in salon it sounds like walls are crashing in. Do I add some type of stiffener to the wall or what? I realize it just fiberglass sheet and not thick laid up stuff of hull. The amp is another issue for another day.

YEE HAW! Yes, turning down the volume does work, but the point of solving issue turns into no sound at all! Turning bass up (down) does not help. Amp needed to drive all the speakers, but it seems not all are in circuit.
I am probably the quietest boat on my dock. The charter guys rock the dock!

Are the speaker's secured properly? Using some gasketing material and through bolting with lock nuts/safety nuts will reduce any vibration caused by looseness.

The second task is location. If the mounting surfaces are very thin, then any volume will result in some unwanted resonances or vibrations. Only way around those is to thicken the mounting surfaces. Use 5200 to adhere sheets of plywood or mdf (or starboard) to beef up the surfaces. Attach braces to adjacent surfaces. Stuff empty spaces with fiberglass insulation. Whatever is needed to dampen vibrations.

finally, if all else fails, move the speakers, or decommission them place. Mount new speakers in more robust locations.

Or, just get a set of bookshelf speakers and use them in lieu of the mounted ones.

Oh, and Pyle stuff is crap.

Go chat with a car stereo guy, they deal with this issue all the time. They'll have a variety of solutions and materials.

Good advice!

Are the speaker's secured properly? Using some gasketing material and through bolting with lock nuts/safety nuts will reduce any vibration caused by looseness.

The second task is location. If the mounting surfaces are very thin, then any volume will result in some unwanted resonances or vibrations. Only way around those is to thicken the mounting surfaces. Use 5200 to adhere sheets of plywood or mdf (or starboard) to beef up the surfaces. Attach braces to adjacent surfaces. Stuff empty spaces with fiberglass insulation. Whatever is needed to dampen vibrations.

finally, if all else fails, move the speakers, or decommission them place. Mount new speakers in more robust locations.

Or, just get a set of bookshelf speakers and use them in lieu of the mounted ones.

Oh, and Pyle stuff is crap.
I had decided that bulking up the thin sidewalls would be the way to go. Insulation to deaden would be another great idea. I did talk to one car guy and he looked at me and did I realize I was talking about a BOAT not a car? Yeah, dude, so you are an idiot. Hey, the Pyle came on the boat! I have a Blaupunkt from the old boat that I want to stick in there.

Back
Top Bottom