Some folks vision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
How in the heck did we get from "the shape of things to come" to Mr. FF's crooked neighbors?????

giphy.gif
First up,you take away OTDE. Then you observe that the conduct which led to OTDE`s closure migrating to HC.

Prediction options: moderate HC to comply with its preamble description,or watch it become the cesspit OTDE was. There may be other options.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. I think HC has been progressing fairly well. Several very interesting discussions thus far. "A crying shame" has about 200 posts of opinions that are, on the whole, quite civil.

Music fav's and Humor most definitely need a place to live and it is refreshing to see the "tone" of the humor thread has changed, IMO, for the better.
Like any dock talk, the subjects are rarely 100% boats.
A final word on OTDE-Good riddance.

Could not agree more, just like Cool Hand Luke I got my head together...at least on this forum.:lol:

"The case described above is a guy who used his position with the power company to defraud the state/city/county of taxes."

Sorry , he used his knowledge ,not his position , to keep power to an second building that could supply power to the home.

"Knowledge is power" Francis Bacon

It would seem if well over a decade is required to follow up on ongoing construction , perhaps the local building dept might have their staff cut by 3/4 so actual productive work could be carried out?

Greetings,
To get BACK to the OP and as a further comment to my post #7 (self aware AI)...

https://news.yahoo.com/deepmind-apos-alphazero-now-showing-190000147.html

The UN demands diesel and gasoline go away to save the planet.
Their solution is a carbon tax of $49 per gallon must be implemented in 12 years. And by 2100, $240 per gallon.

That will kill many people. And those Yellow Vests in France know that,

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckd...te-change-taxes-is-america-next/#6c70bd1c632e

If Paris streets burned over a proposed 25 cents per gallon climate change tax, imagine the global conflagration over a $49 per gallon tax.

That’s what a United Nations special climate report calls for in 12 years, with a carbon tax of $5,500 per ton—equal to $49 per gallon of gasoline or diesel. That’s about 100 times today’s average state and federal motor fuels tax.

And it goes up to $240 per gallon tax. This is what is angering the French against their EU world centered government.
By 2100, the U.N. estimates that a carbon tax of $27,000 per ton is needed—$240 per gallon—to limit global warming to no more than 1.5 degrees Celsius.

Here in America, Republicans in Congress passed a resolution against carbon taxes over the summer while Democrats embraced the concept in their party platform. Some incoming members of the new Democratic majority in the House are calling to create a select committee to map out a “Green New Deal” that would move the U.S. toward using 100% renewable energy for the electric grid while guaranteeing jobs for everyone.

That is nonsense and a bunch of idiot bureaucrats that will destroy the US.If the voters allow it.

"That is nonsense and a bunch of idiot bureaucrats that will destroy the US.If the voters allow it."

Creating a problem , and adding to the problem with a "solution" is the road to power since politics started.

About everyone has read 1984 , the gov there, and now was a piker compared to the information collected by private companys.

Sure NSA has every phone call you made and every E mail you ever sent , but only private enterprise collects your spending and eating and driving info.

Anyone Worried ?

If that's what it costs to "save the planet" I'm all for it. Imhotep...Imhotep...Imhotep.

Greetings,
Mr. 717. My "Good grief" was NOT directed at carbon pricing it was frustration due to the fact that NONE of this crap has ANYTHING to do with the OP!!! I've attempted to steer this thread back on track 4X. So if you and yours want to trash talk politically generated doom and gloom, fill your boots but do so in another thread.

THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. You will NOT change the whims of politicians. You will NOT influence OPEC in any way. You will NOT be able to make ANY changes to what is happening on a global or maybe not even on a local scale.
The only thing that you may accomplish is what you can do yourself. I turn off lights when I leave a room. I keep my machinery in good tune. I recycle. I do not throw trash about. I keep my bilges clean. All very small things but something I can do myself. If EVERYONE on the planet did their part we wouldn't have the mess we do now.

As I mentioned in post #7, I am a Sci-Fi fan and as a result am quite interested in technological advances on ALL fronts. I'm a firm believer that today's Sci-Fi is tomorrow's reality. This has been demonstrated too many times to be simple coincidence.

Mr. FF referenced Orwell's 1984 (post #37). Yup, it's here in spades.

newspeak

1. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) an official or semiofficial style of writing or saying one thing in the guise of its opposite, especially in order to serve a political or ideological cause while pretending to be objective, as in referring to “increased taxation” as “revenue enhancement.”
Newspeak Dictionary

Read some of the definitions and tell me they're not happening NOW.

Some technologies are excellent. Others, not so much.

Who knows what the future will bring....

But we can look at history and see a few things that will probably happen...

We will have inflation. With minor ups and downs, it's been with us forever.

We will have political influence and most likely it will get worse until the country goes under. Again, look at other countries that have gone thru what we are going thru and look at our history.

We will likely have more intrusion from government.

The quality of life in the US will go down, perhaps with a little fluctuation over the years.

We may or may not have a ton of electric cars. At the current rate and growth of them, they will never take over the gas power cars. And with other vehicles they may never go electric.... large vehicles... boats, cars or planes. Perhaps that will change but guess that it will take a bit over 100 years, plus or minus a few decades.

Some years ago a friend of mine was involved with permitting a coal fired power plant in a certain western state.. All the federal and state regulations were satisfied. A public hearing was in progress when a very vocal person stood up and objected to power generated by coal. As the opponents took over one of them shouted "We don't want coal power, we want electric power!"

The room broke out in cries of support for that statement. Due to public pressure like this, the power company relocated the plant funding to a Utah power company and increased the line capacity to yes, CALIFORNIA.

This was one of the starts to several coal and gas plants built in AZ, UT and NV to serve the CA populace. Everybody was happy with this visionary approach demanded by CA voters.

All showed pluck and vigor, to accomplish this far sighted, or not, vision.

I've no doubt that many of the predictions as stated in this item will come true. All this technology, and most of the world's gas and diesel guzzling boats still rely on petroleum fuel engines. Where are the electric motor-powered vessels and environmentally friendly marine power-generation and storage systems?

You mean "returning" to the Age of Sail. Probably not a bad idea, considering the technical advances in hull and sail technology made over the past few years.

You mean "returning" to the Age of Sail. Probably not a bad idea, considering the technical advances in hull and sail technology made over the past few years.

So what you're saying is that, with a few improvements, my 116-year old gaff-rigged Tjalk could spearhead modern technology. Cool!

Greetings,
This video (long-ish) contains some of E. Musk's comments regarding potential future developments. He is really difficult to listen to due to his manner of speaking BUT he raises some interesting and troubling (to me at least) points. For some reason it starts 3 minutes into the interview so it is necessary to restart from 0:00.

Right, Buck Roger's stuff is right around the corner and we will all have autonomous helicopters to fly to work in. Oh, I forgot, work will be a thing of the past. I hear Buck and Elon Musk are talking merger so we can all go to Mars.

FF - it takes energy to keep the flywheel spinning when not in use. Data centers use flywheel storage but they only last minutes, sometimes only seconds, not hours, just enough time to switch over to other backup systems without power interruption. Data center managers also are more concerned with 'uptime' than the cost of energy.
Ironically, when I worked in the energy business, those homeowners who installed solar systems generally started using more energy, installed AC, bought larger refrigerators, etc. Why, because it was cheap energy.
An interesting discourse, this posting.

Greetings,
Mr. 88. Sir Edmond Hillary wanted to help out the Sherpa who helped him climb Everest. They were very short of fuel for cooking and lighting. He had electricity installed in the village thinking this would ease the fuel requirements. Since the villagers could now stay up later they cooked more and used even more fuel as a result.

Greetings,
Mr. 88. Sir Edmond Hillary wanted to help out the Sherpa who helped him climb Everest. They were very short of fuel for cooking and lighting. He had electricity installed in the village thinking this would ease the fuel requirements. Since the villagers could now stay up later they cooked more and used even more fuel as a result.
Good chap Sir Edmund,from beautiful New Zealand.
I`m sure we water the garden more, using roof water collected in our 5000L tanks.Yes, of course,we have reticulated water, but tanks avoid restrictions which can be imposed in dry periods. Sydney Water used subsidize tank installs, to take demand off the supply. The Municipal Council now requires water tanks as part of building approval.

"it takes energy to keep the flywheel spinning when not in use."

Of course , but with a 200,000+ rpm fiber disc with air bearings and operating in a form fitting vacuum housing the loss can be low enough to rival LA batteries (3%per day) , and not require replacement , or watering.

A standby period of a couple of days , with a roof full of solar to spin it , might work as well as a basement full of La or Edison iron batts, or fire causing Li batts.

Last edited:
Way back when...Edison gave away radios to increase the use of electricity.

Elon Musk is the most brilliant, interesting, and accessible engineering mind on Earth today. He never ceases to amaze, and eventually he actually delivers. Doubt him on AI at your own peril.

Greetings,
Mr. DH. Thank you. Musk's concerns are mine as well. Even though some of the technology is still in it's infancy, the evolutionary speed of developments is mind boggling in itself.
Take facial recognition (FR) software for just ONE example. Great for picking the "bad guy" out of a crowd as it's currently being applied, evidently, in London, England.

I'm sure the day is fast approaching where a wallet full of ID and credit cards will be completely unnecessary. A quick facial scan by retail businesses will pay for your purchase and automatically deduct the fee from your savings balance. Hop in a taxi drone (as above) and be delivered to your destination with no effort on your part.

Crime will virtually be eliminated. Any 'perp' will be immediately identified, tracked and picked up by the local LEO robot/droid.

From what I've read the US military is or shortly will be using armed drones equipped with FR to deal with enemies. This last item is what has been published. I'm quite certain the tech' is way beyond that and we just aren't aware of it. Great if our side is the only user but.....
One can only hope that innocents will have some protection but it seems, these days, anything can be hacked which will make everyone a potential target.

The above example is with the understanding that the "device" will be under human control but once AI becomes self aware, all bets are off.

Tinfoil hat time? Perhaps...

200w.gif

One can only hope that innocents will have some protection but it seems, these days, anything can be hacked which will make everyone a potential target.

The above example is with the understanding that the "device" will be under human control but once AI becomes self aware, all bets are off.

Tinfoil hat time? Perhaps...

200w.gif

And all the more reason I plan to own a boat for the rest of my life.

Greetings,
Mr. FF. Interesting predictions yet you dismiss computer climate models?

That's an interesting point, but probably not in the way you think. Why do so many successful, highly educated and bright people. not buy into the whole carbon based climate change spiel?

And, yes, we know. We may be bright, and successful, (and even slightly charming at times) but we're still Deniers (capitol D!). And, that means we're heretics, and only deserving of a horrible death by fire at the stake! :D

Greetings,
Mr.9. As I mentioned in Post #7, I was just yankin' Mr. FF's chain based on his posts in OTDE. Sorry, I'm not going into climate change in the "new" TF.

I think the gist of the OP was someone's prediction of what will happen in fairly short order. I tend to agree. Things ARE changing and change is changing at a phenomenal speed.

Like the "prediction" of flying cars in everyone's garage, speculation about the future is just that. Speculation. Some are pretty good guesses and others, not so much. Sorta like next year's weather forecast.

Back
Top Bottom