Old 12-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #1
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Some facts about Christmas

Our country seems to be in a constant battle over what should or should not be allowed at Christmas. Aethists and other non-believers would lead us to believe that the vast majority of Americans do not want any religious symbols or Christmas symbols allowed on public property and that Christmas celebration are a thing of the past.

According to the Pew Research Center, at this website http://www.pewresearch.org/search/christmas+/ most Americans do celebrate Christmas. Here are some of their findings:

-92% of Americans and 96% of Christians celebrate Christmas
-81% of non-Christians also celebrate Christmas. This includes 87% of people with no religion and 76% of Asian-American Buddhists (76%) and Hindus (73%).
-32% of Jews said they had a Christmas tree in their homes.
-51% of Americans say they celebrate Christmas as more of a religious holiday while 32% say it is more of a cultural holiday.

When asked if they preferred the greeting “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Holidays” in a store, 46% said it doesn’t matter. 42% chose “Merry Christmas”. 12% said “Happy Holidays” was their choice.

When asked about religious symbols such as the nativity being displayed on government property 44% said they should be allowed regardless of whether any other faiths were represented. 28% say they should be allowed only with other religions represented and 20% say Christian symbols shouldn’t be allowed at all.

Americans believe the elements of the traditional Christmas story. 73% say that Jesus was born to a virgin. 81% believe he was laid in a manger. 75% believe the part about the Three Wise Men, 74% believe an angel appeared to the shepherds. 65% believe all four of these things happened while 14% believe none of them happened.

On gift giving, 86% of Americans buy gifts for friends or family.

There is a lot more to this survey so I’d recommend you take a few minutes to read it for yourself.

Now, with these facts in mind, why are we caving in to the wishes of a small minority of Americans who want to get rid of Christmas?

Merry Christmas,

Mike and Tina (GW)

Old 12-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #2

City: Vancouver BC
Love Christmas, but I don't see as many lights as I used to when being a kid, I assume many are rebelling against the pure commercialization of everything associated with the season/event.

I found this statement rather scary though "Most Say Christmas Story Historically Accurate". Especially since we can't prove things that happened last week, even with video and credible witnesses

West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
...............Now, with these facts in mind, why are we caving in to the wishes of a small minority of Americans who want to get rid of Christmas?
I personally am not caving in to anyone. Our politicians are, however. It's time to replace them!

Merry Christmas to all.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Atheists do not want to get rid of christmas. All that is wanted is that, as implied and tested by constitutional law, you do not use tax dollars and government property to promote any religion. How hard is that to understand? Christian privilege in this country has gotten out of control. The Constitution is the document this country was founded on, not the bible.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
Guru

And by the way... I celebrate christmas as a winter holiday to get together with friends and try and get thru this dismal, dark, and usually cold time of year. Not the birth of a man that never existed. But I am TOTALLY okay if you do.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Atheists do not want to get rid of christmas. All that is wanted is that, as implied and tested by constitutional law, you do not use tax dollars and government property to promote any religion. How hard is that to understand? Christian privilege in this country has gotten out of control. The Constitution is the document this country was founded on, not the bible.
Yea, that shouldn't be controversial!

I don't really care if someone is religious or not or what religion they are but what I see happening and Christians rebelling against is the "Holiday Trees" and the "Happy Holidays" greetings. It's still Christmas on the calendar, not "Holiday".

I guess the government ought to remove tax exemptions for churches and religious groups. Change the name of Christmas and Easter. Declare nul and void any Blue Laws.

And I'll finish with "Merry Christmas" to you and yours.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
Guru

True enough, but it is only christmas on the calendar because christians demanded it and hijacked the holiday to try and bring their declining membership numbers up. Hey look, nobody is going to change any minds here. Celebrate what you want to celebrate, but don't ask for special treatment because of it. Fly the rebel flag on you house and wear it every day, but don't put it on the capital lawn. Same goes for the holidays. Christians want to see everything through their own lens, but there are a lot of different people out there than just you. Try to see it from another side. Nobody is trying to stop you from believing what you want to, just don't pressure the government to do it. The government of the USA should be a secular entity. That is what freedom is.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
The First Amendment is distorted by anti-religionists as much as the 2nd is by gun nuts. The former conveniently (unfortunately supported by too many courts) ignore the part about passing no laws preventing the free exercise of religion. The free exercise of religion is what is under attack, and not just Christianity. I happen to think this whole "war on Christmas" thing is another tin foil hat made up crisis. Victimhood is the new national pastime; regardless of what your political or religious or cultural or ethnic or sexual orientation is.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:36 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Tom, just curious if you're OK with an Easter or Christmas parade on a city street (government property)?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
Guru

A little, but the organizers... usually a town's retail organization... pay a fee for usage. In addition, they almost always allow other groups to participate in the parade. If they don't, yea, I would have a problem with that. I don't see it as the same idea though. Groups like the klan and westboro church use public land to demonstrate their beliefs. Is that relevant here? I don't know, but if a christian only parade used it as a reason to disallow non-christian orgs from their parade... I guess that is a discussion to have then. Allowing parades and demonstrations is not the same as the government erecting christian symbolism on government property.

Maybe apples and oranges, but it does seem appropriate.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:12 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
.............. Not the birth of a man that never existed. .
You know that the current year is 2016 AD. What do you think that number is based on? He sure fooled a lot of people if He never existed.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #12

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
You know that the current year is 2016 AD. What do you think that number is based on? He sure fooled a lot of people if He never existed.
OMG- seriously? Do you really believe that a calendar (actually the modification of a Roman calendar that predates Jesus) introduced by a religious leader 600 years later is proof that Jesus existed? Bwhahahahaha!
Old 12-26-2015, 11:23 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
He sure fooled a lot of people if He never existed.

Actually, a recent study seems to point to the idea that a person named jesus never existed at all. A study of ancient texts and writings by some of the most acclaimed scholars of the period and in the direct vicinity of the region, make no mention of any profit or divine carpenter. How would such a high profile man with such a huge following that made such a stink with the government they felt the need to put him to death go completely unmentioned by every noted author of the day?

It reminds me of the story of moses leading millions out into the dessert for years and years, yet, not a single shred of archeological evidence was left behind. A million people walking around the dessert would have certainly made huge footprints we could have followed. Even today.

Like I keep repeating... Believe what you like. I suppose it's best I bow out of this conversation because it is likely going to get thrown Off The Deep End sooner or later, an I am not signed on to participate in there.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #14
Guru

"A recent study" means nothing at all. Anyone can conduct a "study" and publish it as "fact".

Please don't take me for some sort of religious nut, I am not, but a whole lot of what we come across in our daily lives in the western world (most of the world actually) has its roots in Christianity.

Think about it before you argue.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #15

OK, since this used to be a boat forum ...

I will give a $50 Christmas gift card to anyone who can tell me how they got a pair of every animal in the world on a boat
Old 12-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #16
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post

I will give a $50 Christmas gift card to anyone who can tell me how they got a pair of every animal in the world on a boat

Quite simply they didn't.

Because that is not what happened in the Genesis account, a complete misquote actually.

Keep your money and read the Bible, with an open mind.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #17

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
...read the Bible, with an open mind.
As you would any other work of fiction.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #18
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post

UP the ramp?
I'll PM you with the address where to send the gift card to. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
UP the ramp?
I'll PM you with the address where to send the gift card to. Thanks.
Good answer
Old 12-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #20
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Yea, that shouldn't be controversial!

I don't really care if someone is religious or not or what religion they are but what I see happening and Christians rebelling against is the "Holiday Trees" and the "Happy Holidays" greetings. It's still Christmas on the calendar, not "Holiday".

I guess the government ought to remove tax exemptions for churches and religious groups. Change the name of Christmas and Easter. Declare nul and void any Blue Laws.

And I'll finish with "Merry Christmas" to you and yours.

And no more holidays! Just another work day, including Sunday. Was that not created as a Christian day of rest after the non-existient soul created the earth? Just asking. but in the main, no more holidays or days off if this country was not founded on much of the bible teachings? Just asking agin.

Al is offline   Reply With Quote