Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #21
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Country: usa
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
OK, since this used to be a boat forum ...

I will give a $50 Christmas gift card to anyone who can tell me how they got a pair of every animal in the world on a boat
Seems to me that in the past, when questioned, the inquirer was quickly notified that the 'Off The Deep End' was a section that delt with "All other subjects" NOT related to boats particularly. Am I misquoting??

Thank you PC for the come back. Pisses me off no end sometimes. It reminds me that liberals don't like guns, instead of not buying or owing one, they want to stop you and me from having any. same it seems with religion. If they want to be a non-religion fine, but by God, they were born into a society that recognized specific religions.

Now if being a agnostic or what ever it their bag fine, I could care less,practice what you wish and often.

This from one who is not a Bible pound'er by any means, but I know that the Bible contains guidelines of rules if you would, that had to current times, kept us in bounds of moral and civil civilization.
Fast falling apart quickly as the 'Me,me,me' without any restraints reflects , a repeat showing of Sodom and Gomorrah in the making:

What was the sin or sins of Sodom and Gomorrah?

Al-Ketchikan
__________________
Advertisement

Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #22
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,153
Some facts about Christmas

So the bible has been around for how long? 1500 years or so? And so your argument is that no morals existed for all mankind prior to that? What if someone was to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt that no gods ever existed? Would we all then run out and rape children and murder people we didn't like? How long would mankind have lasted if our social values had us killing ourselves off? What really happened was we evolved into a social creature that lives to pass their genes down to the next generation. The bible, like it or nor, was a control mechanism to scare people into being under church control, in one of the greatest power-grabs in all human history.

Dang it... This time I am really done. Sorry mods.
__________________

__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #23
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
Mr. TB. I'm on your side here but to comment on..."... if our social values had us killing ourselves off?" History is filled with peoples with certain social values killing off other people with different social values. To this day, Sunnis and Shias are at each other's throats. Yup, religious based war.
The topic of lack of pre-scipture morals has been discussed before with no case being made for the bible as the definer of moral practice. Yes, morals existed pre bible times and currently exist in civilizations that never heard of the bible OR it's myriad of "interpretations".
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:25 PM   #24
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
So the bible has been around for how long? 1500 years or so?

No sir, less than 500 years in its current format


And so your argument is that no morals existed for all mankind prior to that?

Pretty much, Jewish and Christian influence upon European morality is hardly a matter for debate.


What if someone was to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt that no gods ever existed?

Every bit as impossible as proving beyond any doubt that God does exist.


Would we all then run out and rape children and murder people we didn't like?

A large proportion of Muslims currently do.


How long would mankind have lasted if our social values had us killing ourselves off?

Population control is what the current crop of progressives call it.


What really happened was we evolved into a social creature that lives to pass their genes down to the next generation. The bible, like it or nor, was a control mechanism to scare people into being under church control, in one of the greatest power-grabs in all human history.

Undoubtedly it was used as a control mechanism by the Catholic Church, the reformation started by Martin Luther was about removing that control and removing the shackles of the Christian faith.

Dang it... This time I am really done. Sorry mods.

For the record I can care less about apologizing for this discussion outside OTDE. All religious discussion is supposed to be there, if they didn't move it they chose poorly IMO.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:07 AM   #25
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Country: usa
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,690
Now comes this article on to days Brightbart site:
I sort of rest my case on the reason for decline.



“America’s loss of religiosity has been accompanied by a liberalization of moral views. Statistics from another Gallup poll last May indicate that Americans’ moral views have grown increasingly more liberal as religious affiliation has declined, with U.S. citizens tending to approve of behavior they would have deemed immoral or sinful just a generation ago.

While the most radical change has been in Americans’ positive moral evaluation of polygamy and human cloning, approval of gay and lesbian relations has also soared in the same time period, with an absolute majority of 63% of the population now seeing nothing wrong with this homosexual behavior, as opposed to 40% in 2001—an increase of 23 percent.”

Gallup Poll Confirms Americans Losing Religion - Breitbart

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:30 AM   #26
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Country: usa
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,690
Another wonderful source

And then again from one of the liberal's most reliable sources:

(And I thought it was due to beheadings!!! Silly me.)

“Atheists, agnostics and those who do not affiliate with religion will make up a smaller percentage of the world's total population by 2050 — even though the group is growing in the U.S. and Europe. The decline is primarily because those who are unaffiliated religiously have low fertility rates, with women bearing an average of 1.7 children in their lifetime.”

Pew Study Predicts Islam's Growth Spurt Will Make It The World's Dominant Religion by Century's End : Goats and Soda : NPR
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #27
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. TB. I'm on your side here but to comment on..."... if our social values had us killing ourselves off?" History is filled with peoples with certain social values killing off other people with different social values. To this day, Sunnis and Shias are at each other's throats. Yup, religious based war.

True enough, but that is not killing people because they don't know the difference between right and wrong, but for the survival of their way of life. Big difference there.
__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #28
Guru
 
kthoennes's Avatar
 
City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 857
Rats, the Ignore-Thread option doesn't appear on the phone app version of Trawler Forum.

Well, Merry Christmas all even so, the Lord maketh the the rain fall on the heathen and Christian alike. Some of you are missing the most profound joy and love humans can have in this sin-tossed world, but the door is always open.

Okay, now I have to fire up the regular computer and find that ignore button.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Rebel112r's Avatar
 
City: Birch bay wa
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 391
Saw this on a billboard awhile back. "He who honks his horn the loudest, is in the deepest part of the fog!" Boating related too.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #30
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Okay, now I have to fire up the regular computer and find that ignore button.

No sense ignoring people just because you don't agree with them. Ignore a thread, maybe, but I have nothing against believers. Only against the belief. I would hate to miss a good reply to an anchor thread just because someone thought I was a sinner going to hell. :-)
__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #31
Veteran Member
 
Wanderin Star's Avatar
 
City: Michigan City, Ind
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 69
"They" DID get two animals of every species on a boat and Noah thought the Unicorns were delicious. (stand back. Lightening strike imminent)
Wanderin Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
SeaMoose's Avatar
 
City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 136
Since the op's original topic was some facts about Christmas, how about the huge group of folks that believe Santa Claus (St. Nicholas) comes on New Years and Christmas falls on January 7?

They are certain we have it all wrong...
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:21 PM   #33
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMoose View Post
Since the op's original topic was some facts about Christmas, how about the huge group of folks that believe Santa Claus (St. Nicholas) comes on New Years and Christmas falls on January 7?

They are certain we have it all wrong...
Better tell Ariana that Santa is not real.

__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #34
Curmudgeon
 
BaltimoreLurker's Avatar
 
City: Stoney Creek, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,629
Hard to beat the original, though!

__________________

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012