Sad Day for Northern B.C.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
A couple of days ago I was discussing the data on a tagged salmon with the Erik Grundmann, Canadian Sport Head Recovery Coordinator . We caught it in Area 6-23, Khutze Inlet. For us, Khutze Inlet is the best that B.C. has to offer. It is beautiful and unique.

Then we were told a new fish farm has been installed in Khutze Inlet sometime after August 7th. Surely not I responded. He sent me a Google earth image that shows the farm just inside the Inlet entrance. My heart hit the floor. Does every bay or inlet need a fish farm which endangers wild stock pacific salmon?

We are very upset. Is there a way to protest this and have the farm removed?

The coordinates for Khutze Inlet are:

Lat: 53.10087 N
Long: 128.4515W

Attachments

• Khutze.jpg
    Khutze.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 06-eng.jpg
    06-eng.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_4977.jpg
    IMG_4977.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4924.jpg
    IMG_4924.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Sorry to hear that about Khutze. It's one of our usual stops and is beautiful. Fish farms have been out of favor in both BC and Washington the last few years and I'm surprised they were able to get the required permits.

Sorry to hear that about Khutze. It's one of our usual stops and is beautiful. Fish farms have been out of favor in both BC and Washington the last few years and I'm surprised they were able to get the required permits.

Who within the Canadian Government regulates fish farms on the west coast? Is there a way to reverse this or is the fish farm lobby too strong?

Tom, you're not likely to get it reversed. I'm sure the "under the table" checks have already been delivered and we all know there's nothing like money to grease the wheels of progress.

Not sure on who the regulators are in Canada but what I don't understand is the Indian Tribes not objecting strenuously to these farms, particularly the Tribe at Klemtu, maybe 30 miles to the south. Maybe Murray knows something on the fish farm permitting process in BC.

Fish farms are getting better all the time and we are over-fishing the wild stocks. Who says they are bad? Is this part of the Climate Change Church?

It is a pretty area fo sure.

Fish farms are getting better all the time and we are over-fishing the wild stocks. Who says they are bad? Is this part of the Climate Change Church?

It is a pretty area fo sure.

I maybe able to accept that. However, the farms are Atlantic Salmon, not Pacific Salmon. When one of the farms fail, they dump hundred of thousands of an invasive species into the water. Then they mix into the wild stock.....

One day while waiting for the grocery store to open at Klemtu, we struck up a conversation with a man loading box's of processed farm raised fish into a large freezer. I asked where will these fish go from here? He responded they all go to the States, Canadians won't eat this fish. So Americans can start by not buying farm raised salmon.

There are many videos on YouTube about this subject.

Last edited:
One day while waiting for the grocery store to open at Klemtu, we struck up a conversation with a man loading box's of processed farm raised fish into a large freezer. I asked where will these fish go from here? He responded they all go to the States, Canadians won't eat this fish. So Americans can start by not buying farm raised salmon.

There are many videos on YouTube about this subject.

Well neither do Alaskans. Alaskans don't let Alaskans and friends eat farm salmon.

BTW Fish farms are illegal in Alaska......:thumb:

Oh, salmon farms are bad alright, as is farmed salmon. A substantial portion of the fish leaving these farms is going out in totes with no need for refrigeration, 'morts' they are called, fished out dead from just about every pen every day, but lots of the morts are not found till the pens are emptied. Every week totes headed to V.I. landfills are picked up by freight barges. Don't eat that stuff!

Why not call the First Nations involved and find out directly what their thinking and feelings are about the matter. You have nothing to lose but some long distance charges.

Inquiring mind wanted to know. So, the answer for Canada, or non-answer.

I love this section (said with total sarcasm):

The aquaculture industry is overseen in Canada by a combination of federal, provincial and local authorities. In recent years, both the federal and provincial governments have been striving towards a more efficient regulatory framework, balancing the need to protect the environment, sustain fisheries, and enable a competitive industry to flourish.

The federal government has jurisdiction over the regulation of fish products marketed in export and inter-provincial trade, the conservation and protection of wild fish stocks and fish habitat and research and development. Federal authority to regulate the aquaculture industry is shared between 17 departments and agencies, with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) as the lead.​

If anyone would like to read further (I can only assume as some form of penance), here's the link:

FAO Fisheries & Aquaculture Canada

So, short answer: Everyone is in charge so no one is in charge.

Oh, salmon farms are bad alright, as is farmed salmon. A substantial portion of the fish leaving these farms is going out in totes with no need for refrigeration, 'morts' they are called, fished out dead from just about every pen every day, but lots of the morts are not found till the pens are emptied. Every week totes headed to V.I. landfills are picked up by freight barges. Don't eat that stuff!

At a catered dinner tonight, I wisely avoided the salmon and chose the beef. After selecting the salmon, my partner said the fish was old and stank, having a sensitive nose.

Greetings,
Mr. rs. "Why not call the First Nations...". When has the federal government EVER listened to anything FN's had to say. Witness the recent fiascos with the MMIW inquiry and the TRC (Reports | NCTR). Absolutely NO resolution in spite of the millions spent.

Rather than eliminating poor logging practices that have been ruining spawning rivers for decades fish farms are meant to supply "replacement" fish. Same old story, I'm afraid. Follow the $$ in both the logging and fishing industries much to the detriment of the environment.

I've worked and played on BC's waters for over 30 yrs and the changes in the amount of aquaculture are staggering. It is my opinon that fish farms are bad.

Part of my dislike of fish farms is admittedly selfish and personal. I valued the wild beauty of BC inlets. Fish farms like any sort of development spoil the wildness of the areas. I do understand why BC's government and business like fish farms, in their eyes development that brings in revenues is good.

Part of my dislike is the changes in the environment they bring about. The farms consume a great deal of the nutrients in the area they occupy and release a great deal of waste into the enviroment. This brings about changes in not just the wild stocks they displace but the entire food chain.

Farms be they fish, beef, pigs or veggies and fruits all change the environment they occupy. It is a value judgement on whether the changes are good or not. I don't like fish farms, but they are here to stay.

At a catered dinner tonight, I wisely avoided the salmon and chose the beef. After selecting the salmon, my partner said the fish was old and stank, having a sensitive nose.[/QUOTE

I have bad news; the beef might have been farmed also.

Ridiculous arguments based on conjecture and (shudder) opinion. There are far too few wild salmon left to feed the people that want them. Farmed fish feed the market and are an excellent source of protein. Another advantage is shelf life, wild fish have more enzymes in them and deteriorate faster than farmed, which have about double the shelf life.

If I were the king, I would ban all fishing for all species in the inland sea from Puget Sound to Port Hardy for a minimum of 10 years. We over-fish all species and need to let them all recover.

Some fish farms have been bad but that is largely lack of oversight by our useless government; I have heard there is one conservation officer for the entire Sunshine Coast.

You can't replace Pacific salmon with Atlantic Salmon...
Greetings,
Mr. rs. "Why not call the First Nations...". When has the federal government EVER listened to anything FN's had to say. Witness the recent fiascos with the MMIW inquiry and the TRC (Reports | NCTR). Absolutely NO resolution in spite of the millions spent.

Rather than eliminating poor logging practices that have been ruining spawning rivers for decades fish farms are meant to supply "replacement" fish. Same old story, I'm afraid. Follow the $$ in both the logging and fishing industries much to the detriment of the environment.

Greetings,
Mr. ASD. Perhaps replacement marine protein source might have been a more appropriate term rather than "replacement" fish. My point being that it was/is a LOT easier and cheaper for someone to install a fish farm than to actually do something about the declining/disappearing Pacific salmon stocks. Introduction of a foreign/invasive species and the attendant problems of same were of secondary consideration.

Ideally, a moratorium should be put on harvesting Pacific salmon stocks AND all the spawning rivers and streams should be put back into such a condition where the natural species can spawn for starters as if THAT would ever happen...

anyone know why they farm Atlantic salmon and not Pacific salmon on the west coast?

Out of sight out of mind seems appropriate for this new location. Thanks for making it public

Atlantic salmon grow faster and they can make more money, which is what it’s all about unfortunately.

Atlantic salmon grow faster and they can make more money, which is what it’s all about unfortunately.

Dam it, they are farmed on the east, why not keep them there. Did someone say profitable goes with payoffs. Farmed salmon and elimination of commercial and sports fishing at the same time/

Below are emails from First Nations and Spirit Bear Lodge in Klemtu and BC Fish and game.

No fish farm. The picture is wrongly placed!!! Yee Haw

John Czornobaj <john@spiritbear.com>
To:
Thomas Teseniar

Dec 17 at 2:16 PM

Hi Tom,

I am certain, google earth images are often in the wrong place. That is the old Goat Cove farm near Sheep Pass.

There are no plans for a farm to be located near Khutze.

Thanks for your concern for this amazing part of our planet.

John Czornobaj
General Manager
Spirit Bear Lodge
john@spiritbear.com
778-677-4168

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 2:12 PM Thomas Teseniar <thomas.teseniar@yahoo.com> wrote:
Thank You John.

To verify can you look at Google Earth. This is a pic showing a fish farm.

We love Khutze and would be sad if a fish farm was installed.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you and your staff.

Tom and Kay Teseniar

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 12/17/19 11:24 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: thomas.teseniar@yahoo.com
Subject: Khutze

Hi Tom,

There is no fish farm near Khutze Inlet and no plans to put one there in the future.

I am not sure if you have heard the recent news, BC is set to remove all open net pen fish farms by 2025. A big win for wild salmon and the coast of BC!

Happy Holidays

John Czornobaj
General Manager
Spirit Bear Lodge
john@spiritbear.com

Grundmann, Erik <erik.grundmann@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
To:
Thomas Teseniar

Dec 17 at 2:31 PM

That is what my contact said in the Prince Rupert office, so maybe it is safe to assume that the picture is not well placed. Are you feeling better?

Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 2:07 PM
To: Grundmann, Erik <Erik.Grundmann@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Subject: RE: Fish Farms

Thanks Erik. I also contacted the Spirit Bear Lodge. They indicated there is NO fish farm in the inlet.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------

Date: 12/17/19 11:31 AM (GMT-08:00)

To: Thomas Teseniar <thomas.teseniar@yahoo.com>

Subject: RE: Fish Farms

Hi Thomas,

I’ve emailed a contact up in the Prince Rupert office and hope to hear from him. I also am attaching what I could find re the site and it doesn’t appear to be listed. I would be cautious to assume that there actually is a fish farm sited there given that we have don’t know who posted the picture.

You might also find some information at Aquaculture Licensing in British Columbia | Pacific Region | Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Erik

Sent: Monday, December 16, 2019 7:07 PM
To: Grundmann, Erik <Erik.Grundmann@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Subject: Fish Farms

Hey Eric,

Who is in charge of fish farms in northern BC?

Greetings,
Mr. ASD. I read above that BC is set to remove open net fish farms by 2025. NOW, we're getting somewhere!

The Kitasoo/Xai'xais Nation is co-owner of fish farms in that region of the coast and the fish processing plant in Klemtu processes fish from these farms. Klemtu has one of the lowest unemployment rates of any of the First Nation villages on the coast.

There is a strong and healthy debate about fish farms in BC. We are bombarded daily. Don't think that no one is regulating it or concerned about it.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for this government promise of net pen removal by 2025. So far on-land farms have not proven to be economically viable, there are thousands of people in coastal communities, like Klemtu, employed by the fish farms and this government is likely to change before the planned implementation date. From a personal note: Have you ever tasted an on-land farmed salmon (marketed as eco-salmon)? I have - it was awful and best eaten with a spoon.

I have never heard of "wild beef"?? Even Bison is now farmed (ranched).
IMHO, fish farming is basically bad, in that there is no doubt that it damages the natural stock and the environment. Even though the "rules" state that the fish farm must clean up the area, including the bottom of all debris when concluding operations permanently, a lot of the farms just "pack up and go", and there seems to be little to no enforcement of the clean up requirement. They are often placed in what would otherwise be good to great anchorages. Combine the growing numbers of fish farms with the proliferation of private mooring buoys, and in some areas, it is getting difficult to find protected anchorages.
To the best of my knowledge, wild salmon do not hunt or eat "pellets". As a result of being fed an unnatural food, ( and maybe to do with the species), farmed fish does not look (colour, texture, etc.) or smell "right" or natural.

This (next point) may have changed (but I somehow doubt it), but it used to be that the vast majority of fish farm operations in BC were owned "off shore" (not even Canadians), so we take all the negative impacts and the profits go out of the country. Now to be fair, they do supply some jobs for Canadians.
Personally, I do not buy or eat farmed fish (unless the odd piece is "snuck by me".)
The good news (from a source I trust), is that in recent years, fish farms have improved their operations and reduced their negative impacts (somewhat). I do not know exactly what they improved, but I think it is the immediate pollution from their open pens.
With all the talk about our endangered Orcas and the diminished salmon stock, I do not understand how the Government still allows the herring fishery. Shouldn't we start with the basic food source to ensure that the salmon are fed? Also it is my understanding that the vast majority of the herring are used for fertilizer or are exported, only benefiting a relatively small group of people?

Aside from the concerns with genetics, enormous quantities of antibiotics are in farmed fish food. Don't want it in my water or in my food.

Was buying salmon advertised to be wild caught. Packaging was changed to say: produced in China. Oh, well. It was good while it lasted.

My understanding is that the season for wild caught, never frozen salmon is very short.

My opinion of aquaculture mussels is far better but I admit to little knowledge of the overall operations. I saw the barges up in Maine. The store quit telling me the delivery date for the mussels. Again, good while it lasted.

Eating has changed for me as I age. Never been very picky. Enzymes are more important to me lately. A big slab of fresh pineapple, some vegetables and a little meat get me through most of a day. Still no prescriptions. Weight has been creeping up again, could lose 15. Next year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom