Old 01-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #61

City: Bella Bella
Vessel Name: Tenacious
Vessel Model: Uniflite 31 FB Sedan
What would you think of a hog farming operation on public land that covered the land with its waste and then moved on? Not ranging cattle or sheep but animals crammed side by side doing nothing but eat and crap a foot deep. It would be ok as long as it isn't a human health hazard, right(?). The necessity and merits of farming in general doesn't support a destructive method or product.

Would you have salmon farms in Pender Harbour? Would it be ok if I came and scraped my bottom paint into the water? One boatyard doing that wouldn't screw up much of the ocean would it?

Salmon farming makes zero contribution to feeding the world. No chronically hungry people get salmon to eat, or mussels, oysters, sturgeon, trout, or shrimp. These are supplied to profit from a demand, largely created by marketing, for variety from the relatively small segment with surplus wealth, and that well includes every one of us. Feeding the world means producing and delivering quality food efficiently from both economic and environmental standpoints. And it very much appears that salmon farming as currently practiced in BC fails there, the evidence just isn't in plain view. The video above shows a completely lifeless sea bottom covered in fish waste and medicated fish food waste, surrounding the facility for some distance beyond the actual pens, and this is pretty certainly the same around every one. I know the author of these videos and I'll tell you that nothing is 'fixed in the mix', it is just as you would see it if you were there. I don't dive and can't see it for myself. I've never seen the Eiffel Tower either, but I have clear evidence that it's there.

Naturally, mostly everyone in the path of the benefits is going to support their benefactor, especially if some believable science is presented. The industry had, could still have, merit and promise, but the business models don't include dealing with the waste products. And, basically, when it comes to this kind of stuff, as long as you do as much as the government makes you do then its all good. The laws as they are now - it's as Johnny Depp said in Pirates of the Caribbean, "they're really...just..guidelines".
EngNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:18 PM   #62
Guru

City: Puget Sound
Tom, I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. Open net Fish farms absolutely destroy the native fish stocks. I saw this happen around Echo Bay in the mid 80's when the farms came in That area went from exceptional good salmon fishing to dismal in 4 years. There was a woman that lived in the region Alexandra Morton that was at the for front of the farms damage to the wild stocks.. Her premise which proved true was that the native salmon smolt would be attracted to the food that dropped through the nets beneath the net pens. At the same time sea lice eggs "blooms" from the adult salmon in the pens would attach to native smolt that are under the pens because of food that has slipped through the nets... the smolt couldn't survive the sea lice like an adult salmon so they perished in great numbers. Alex continues to be a champion for the native fish and wildlife her blog which has lots of additional infomation can be found her https://alexandramorton.typepad.com
by the way the reason Pacific salmon aren't farmed is because they lose their scales when in contact with other fish... Then they are susceptible to disease, Atlantic salmon don't. By the way all their flesh is died orange.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:36 PM   #63
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
“Died orange?”

Ever seen a white spring?

This is approaching chicken little territory. Why not concentrate on the impeachment for your outrage? Even the anti-vaxxer movement is based on claptrap.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #64

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
“Died orange?”

This is approaching chicken little territory. Why not concentrate on the impeachment for your outrage? Even the anti-vaxxer movement is based on claptrap.
I’m not much for actually reading the rules, but I would assume this forum has some rule against trolls. I can only assume that posts like this are obvious trolling, as I always want to believe people are not this ignorant.
The dying of fish flesh in Atlantic farmed salmon is common knowledge, in fact it is pretty much a standard for marketing the product, not a conspiracy theory.
Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #65
Guru

[QUOTE=Xsbank;838502]“Died orange?”

There is a genetic strain strain of chinook that do not convert beta cartien to the typical orange flesh I caught white and cream cicle flesh colored springs.. If you are concerned with my spelling then it is dyed orange
Old 01-18-2020, 04:04 PM   #66
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Beta carotene is what makes carrots orange. If you think this is a problem you should also not eat carrots. Or maybe you don’t already but can we stop this fear mongering?

If farmed salmon are not your thing, McDonalds is always an option.
Actually it’s not the spelling that got me. Do you eat orange cheddar cheese?

The fact that there is a shortage of wild salmon is because we have over-fished them and the herring that they eat. The economists call this the “tragedy of the commons” where people who exploit the resource have no stake in it. There are so few fish, the lice are very evident. I caught a few wild salmon when I was a kid and I visited many canneries in the Prince Rupert area as well as the Namu herring plant and they always had lice, the cannery girls scraped them off. Long before farms were thought to be a good idea. Do you think we’d have farms if we had lots of wild salmon?

Ventana, I am not a troll, I have tried to contribute my knowledge to this site. An ad hominem attack means you have no opinion. There is a system for blocking posters If you don’t like to read what I have to say then you won’t be offended
Old 01-18-2020, 06:39 PM   #67
Guru

I'm not a proponent of fish farms, I also realize that about salmon is the 3rd most consumed seafood behind shrimp and tuna, also about 75% of the salmon eaten is farmed, for that reason farms are a necessary evil. They just have to reduce the negative impact on native fish stocks

Not only are sea lice a threat to smolts migrating but a significant percentage of fish in certain farms have the Piscine orthoreovirus (PRV) This disease was imported from Norwegian fish and there is evidence that it is spreading to native salmon. This virus has been linked to HMSI (heart, muscular, skeleto inflamation) HMSI is starting to be seen in native fish stocks...

I believe WA state has banned all new atlantic salmon farms and is not renewing licensing of existing farms partly due to this virus and the optics of escapement.... In the same vein I think that fish farms in the Broughtons will be required to shut or move...
Old 02-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #68

City: PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
Tom, I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner........... There was a woman that lived in the region Alexandra Morton that was at the for front of the farms damage to the wild stocks.. Her premise which proved true was that the native salmon smolt would be attracted to the food that dropped through the nets beneath the net pens. At the same time sea lice eggs "blooms" from the adult salmon in the pens would attach to native smolt that are under the pens because of food that has slipped through the nets... the smolt couldn't survive the sea lice like an adult salmon so they perished in great numbers. Alex continues to be a champion for the native fish and wildlife her blog which has lots of additional infomation can be found her https://alexandramorton.typepad.com
by the way the reason Pacific salmon aren't farmed is because they lose their scales when in contact with other fish... Then they are susceptible to disease, Atlantic salmon don't. By the way all their flesh is died orange.
There is a good film by Alexandra Morton that is a few years old, if you are interested.
Stabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #69
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
WOW, now that makes total sense. Why I never thought the fry are being infected on their way out, I do not know. We need more Harrison type fish. A proactive system would be taking the eggs and transplanting throughout BC waters so they take the southern route until government wises up and bans fish farms.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #70
Guru

Here is a group working on it, there may be more.

https://watershedwatch.ca/safe-passage/
Old 02-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #71
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Here is a group working on it, there may be more.

https://watershedwatch.ca/safe-passage/

Thanks for sharing
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #72
Guru

I sent an email

Never mind, they closed the door for public comments

Sent: February 25, 2020 8:27 AM
Subject: Pre-Budget Consultations 2020 / Consultations prébudgétaires de 2020

The pre-budget consultations have concluded.
Thank you for taking part!

Les consultations prébudgétaires sont terminées.
Merci de votre participation!