Old 09-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I've put a lot of thought into these episodes, and will just throw them out there:

The cops really do seem quick to react with lethal force. In some cases, they were following the "rules of engagement", in others rules were broken. But in most cases, there probably were other ways of handling the situation that would have had a better outcome without presenting much more risk to the officers.

So I think the inner city folk do have some legitimate gripes.

But the inner cities truly are violent. The cops are justified to be quick to react as to not would put them at risk. Hyper vigilant cops creates more friction with the citizens, and that friction reduces trust in both directions.

The cops should do a better job of de-escalating situations.

And the inner city communities need to do a better job of controlling themselves. If BLM and other leaders and protesters spent one tenth of the effort of protesting on controlling the violent elements in their midst, this situation would take care of itself.

We had a rental house nearby that was housing some known to have a criminal bent. These folks were shunned and eventually left, some to jail, some on their own. A community should not tolerate criminals and it is the community's job to handle that, not the police. The community knows who the trouble makers are. Shunning is a powerful tool.

Excellent post Ski.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: One thing that always increases racism is a poor economy, especially impacting those at lower mid range or below. Terrorism has increased bigotry.

We all have prejudices, many quite justified and not at all illegal. It's knowing what prejudice is justified and which isn't. I'm prejudiced against McDonalds as I don't like their food. I still imagine the pink slime in their hamburgers, although it's gone. However, I'm not prejudiced based on those things that are illegal and, in my opinion, uncalled for. I love people.

Sometimes in life it's one issue that turns us, one event. The three young men giving away hugs probably touched someone today in a positive way. My hubby's family that we have nothing really to do with lives in other parts of NC and is filled with hate for blacks, hispanics, muslims, jews, indians, gays, tattoos, and many other things. They present themselves as very religious and they're extremely narrowminded. My hubby's parents were prejudiced but always treated others differently and carried no hate. Then why isn't my hubby like his relatives. Partly, he grew up in Charlotte and while he lived in an all white neighborhood, he went to school in a mixed school. He went to a very mixed college. But he points to one thing in his childhood, a maid who worked for his family for 15 years. He spent far more time growing up around Martha than his mother or father. He loved her. So, as a white child, he loved a black woman and wouldn't have dared seen her hurt. Therefore, he couldn't hate all blacks. One person influence his life greatly even though she was in a stereotypical black maid for white family role.

I think humans evolve but events seem to sometimes turn them into their less evolved ways, tribal or whatever one labels them. When scared you last out and many people today are scared when not even schools or malls feel safe. The 9/11 events shattered feelings of being safe on US soil.

Charlotte's events built off of others. Ferguson really set things off. Then last week you had Tulsa. When you see Ferguson and Tulsa and some of the others, you get scared in Charlotte. Police see Dallas and other police shootings and they get scared.

If you're out walking and someone approaches you who you find scary, what do you do? Driving in a scary neighborhood? You try to avoid. I don't know what it feels like to be a policeman in the situation of Charlotte. I am sure much is based on prior events. I don't know what it feels like to get stopped or approached by a policeman if you're black. I listen, and I'm glad not to be in either's position. The fact they both feel fear says we have issues.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: One thing that always increases racism is a poor economy, especially impacting those at lower mid range or below. Terrorism has increased bigotry.
You can also add racial preferencing or reverse discrimination to things that promote racism. When you advantage one group over another to correct theoretical historical injustices, you only stoke the fires of racism. It's no surprise that race conflict is much worse now that it was 8 years ago.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I suspect racial conflict has much to do with world overpopulation causing competition for available territory. Human nature being what it is, I don`t see population reducing, the desire to reproduce is intrinsic. Hard to see a solution, except as opined by Malthus.
Hope this this not seen as political, it has been an exemplary discussion so far.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:41 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I suspect racial conflict has much to do with world overpopulation causing competition for available territory. Human nature being what it is, I don`t see population reducing, the desire to reproduce is intrinsic. Hard to see a solution, except as opined by Malthus.
Hope this this not seen as political, it has been an exemplary discussion so far.
Wifey B: Well, the fact some groups have more kids than others sure contributes to a changing demographic in the US. Also the fact that over 40% of births are to unmarried women plays a role in society, although hard to tell how much of that change is those in long term relationships vs those alone.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote