Old 09-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Rough Rides

These Mesmerizing Videos of Ships Going Through Storms Will Turn You Into a Landlubber for Life | Atlas Obscura
Old 09-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #2

City: Carrollton, Va
https://youtu.be/XqaVFTZub_w
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
rough rides for sure
Old 09-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Maybe I had posted this thread on the wrong site or- - - -I am able to kill a thread quick!!!

"Freak waves
Having recently experienced a rough passage in a area that is common for confusing seas (Camano Point) and (McCarthy Point) in Clarence Straits here in Southeast Alaska, the thoughts of facing some of the waves that seemed excessive during that voyage crosses the mind in retrospect.

Following posting on the subject of ballasting on another thread this evening I had opened my 'CaptainG.com' site finding an article on freak waves. It contained the following video. While it is somewhat long, it is well done and should prove interesting to many on the site.

Keeping vessel size in mind as one watches the seas in this video and others shared on the forum, the factors that affect large vessels subject of the videos, can be exstrapulated down to our personal boats. Ugly seas are ugly seas and the fears or concerns are equal. At least in my mind.

As an example, when the seas become 3 foot and the winds 15-20 Knots, I am well underway to find some 'hide-y hole' to dodge into. That being said if caught in those conditions. which was the status, and the conditions increased to 20 knots with gust and 5 foot riptide seas much as described in the video, while not 'freak', scary. and no 'hide-y hole available.

As often happens, conditions exhilarated quickly leaving no options but to buck along. This being said from a 27 foot boat length perspective. I am sure each of us has a built in limits factor that equals my concern.

Enjoy the video and the information contained."
Regards,
Al-Ketchikan

Al is online now Report Post Thanks
Al is offline   Reply With Quote