Old 09-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Red light cameras

I cannot think of a municipal addition more unpopular than red light cameras that send you a civil ticket. I have not been stung but I know almost without a doubt I would not be thrilled. Some communities bait the trap with short fused caution (yellow) lights.

Some studies say they actually increased accidents, especially rear enders at the monitored intersections. I have no intention of having a tailgater plow into me at the hint of yellow, or throw my dog against the dash likewise. As for the tailgater, I have heavy Ranch Hand steel bumpers, fo and aft, not too concerned with damage to my truck, but we all have an obligation to help fools out. I even have a custom bumper sticker warning the tailgater about my bumper.

Last time back home in N. Texas I had a meet up at the VFW Hall with an old work buddy. When we walked out to our trucks I noticed every hole in the bumper had a chrome hitch ball in it. He had no less than 6, maybe as many as 8. I ask, what is the deal. He said the balls throw reflections everywhere and keeps the camera from recording the plate number... I thought HMMMMMM.

To expand what about Disco ball for your bumper. How about diamond plate painted black and the paint buffed off the diamonds tops and edges and trim out the bumper cut out along with the trailer balls. That should really add to the mix.

Anybody out there know this camera technology to comment on the feasibility of this reflective defense?
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I'm more in favor of the vandals continuing to take them out. A little civil disobedience is good for the well being of the state.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Guru

Yeah, that too. Ruger 10-22, silenced (easy enough) at 25 yards, seldom need more than one shot.
Trouble is I do not know if that is legal night huntin' and licensing, bag limits and so forth.....is there an App for that?
Old 09-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Curmudgeon

A can of spray paint does fine.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Guru

Yeah but they can clean that off and boom be right back doing their nefarious business.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Lynnwood WA is notorious for red light cameras. So much so, that people are no longer shopping there. Businesses and merchants are suffering and the city's tax revenue from sales has taken a hit. But nothing beats the govt revenue stream of a red light camera once it gets installed...
Patemey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
FF
Guru

The boating equal is on the way ,

twice so far the FL folks have tried to pass a law that would photo boats demanding bridge openings, under the bridge .

If they see its just a sun cover or antenna that should have been lowered , $350 was the price in the bill.

Wave into the camera as you go by , might be a great X mass card photo!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Curmudgeon

If you don't like red light cameras, you'll hate this:

Mysterious Fake Cellphone Towers Are Intercepting Calls All Over The US - SFGate
Old 09-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The boating equal is on the way ,

twice so far the FL folks have tried to pass a law that would photo boats demanding bridge openings, under the bridge .

If they see its just a sun cover or antenna that should have been lowered , $350 was the price in the bill.

Wave into the camera as you go by , might be a great X mass card photo!
The state of Maryland is already using cameras and other electronics to monitor and catch people violating the fishing regulations on the Chesapeake Bay. It's no secret and apparently they have some very sophisticated and sensitive equipment. And the are catching and prosecuting people.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Few people like red light cameras but the alternative is either to not enforce the laws or hire and station police officers at dangerous intersections.

One big cultural shock I got when I retired from MD to SC is the disrespect motorists have for traffic signals and stop signs. You take your life in your hands if you don't look both ways even if you have the right of way. I'll often slow and stop for a yellow light that's about to turn red only to have someone behind me pull into the next lane and go through the intersection on the red. I don't care so much if they wreck themselves but one day it could be me or a loved one.

If people obeyed the law, there would be no need for these cameras.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
Guru

Obviously you were being followed by a fool.

Sidebar.....FL has announced a state wide effort to crack down on left lane creepers on our freeways. I hope they get hammered. If you are driving at the speed limit or below, not passing in the left lane in light traffic and people are passing you on the right a huge ticket is deserved.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

One big cultural shock I got when I retired from MD to SC is the disrespect motorists have for traffic signals and stop signs. You take your life in your hands if you don't look both ways even if you have the right of way. I'll often slow and stop for a yellow light that's about to turn red only to have someone behind me pull into the next lane and go through the intersection on the red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post

Obviously you were being followed by a fool.

Fools must be pretty common around here.

Light turns yellow for you, check your mirror first, 'cause the guy behind usually isn't intending to stop, usually accelerates.

Light turns green for you, don't enter the intersection until you're sure everybody in the cross street is actually intending to stop.

Not uncommon to see three cars in a row go thru a red light.

-Chris
Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
Curmudgeon

Still unconfirmed, but what I'm hearing is that the red light and speed camera data is, or will soon be, for sale. It's not hard to figure out some of the things that can be done with that info.

It's not just the red light cameras that I find offensive, it's the 24x7x365 surveillance of the citizens that bothers me.

Have you seen the movie "Minority Report"? It's sci-fi now, but it's going to be our world if things continue the way they are.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
Guru

All the more reason to get started on my reflection defense.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Guru

I suspect I my rear, (front for that matter, but that would be on me), would total most cars with little or no damage to my truck. Tailgate me at your own risk.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #16
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
We don't need no stinking red light cameras. In fact, we don't need no traffic signals or traffic round-a-bouts. Also, everyone knows that pedestrians are expendable.

Meskel Square Intersection on Devour.com
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote