Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
If It Looks Like a Fishing Boat on Radar . . .

Hope this hasn't been talked to death already. Here's some of what the USN will disclose: (I checked; today is not April 1)

The USS Zumwalt, the first of the DDG-1000 class of destroyers, is longer, faster and carries state-of-the-art weapons that will allow it to destroy targets at more than 60 miles, according to the Navy.

At 610 feet long and 81 feet wide, the Zumwalt is longer and thinner than the USS Arizona, a battleship sunk at Pearl Harbor. But it weighs about half as much.

Much of the ship's superstructure is wrapped in a huge, canopy made of lightweight carbon fiber composite.

The canopy and the rest of the ship is built on angles that help make it 50 times harder to spot on radar than an ordinary destroyer.

"It has the radar cross-section of a fishing boat," said Chris Johnson a spokesperson for Naval Sea Systems Command.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
So now when at sea, someone is going to check their radar and think they are ok because there is just one little fishing boat out there in the dark. Then turn around and find a 610 foot ship bearing down on him at about 25 knots!.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Not really crazy about the lack of viewing ability, what do the do use video for outside view. Love the old is new again bow however.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Guru

I'm just wondering how it handles beam seas???

I haven't seen the top speed published, but betting it's better than 25 kts. : )
Old 10-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Beam seas? You should check to make sure there's no Willard guys around before mentioning beam seas.

Looks like the new DD has maximized her water line length. Perhaps there's a Ram like an Egyptian galley just under the surface.

Over in the eastern Med looking like a fishing boat sourrounded by the Russian navy could be a nice feature.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Beam seas? You should check to make sure there's no Willard guys around before mentioning beam seas.
Wasn't wondering how much it rolls, Eric. Just pondering how those slab composite sides might handle the shock of breaking waves.

Top speed, according to defense industry daily, is closer to 30 kts.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
Guru

City: Here
30knots ... I'd suspect that is what we call "misinformation". Big fat aircraft carriers are faster than that.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Wonder if they need an old hole snipe for sea trials?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I dunno. I guess technology is getting away from me. I think it looks better with the hull upside down. Maybe there was just a mis-understanding between the Architect and the builder.
Attached Thumbnails
upside down.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
Guru

Way to go Larry. Now it looks like a boat. Nice red racing stripe of AF paint at the gun'l.

poker, big fat acraft carriers are also LONGER.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
30knots ... I'd suspect that is what we call "misinformation". Big fat aircraft carriers are faster than that.
This admiral ask for 31 knots in WWII! (And yes, Flywright, it's from memory. ) P.S. Had dinner with the admiral (Riley, not Arleigh, last week and he sends his greetings!)
Attached Thumbnails
Arleigh Burke.jpg  
Old 10-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Most likely. ... WWII-era destroyers were faster. For instance, the Fletcher class with a top speed of 36.5 knots.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Seems that every ship in the Navy has the same "official" top speed........30+ knots.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
This admiral ask for 31 knots in WWII! (And yes, Flywright, it's from memory. ) P.S. Had dinner with the admiral (Riley, not Arleigh, last week and he sends his greetings!)
Have you read the books by Admiral Gallery? He's a hoot -- wish I could have met him! I've got five of them aboard, plus the biography by Herman Wouk of Caine Mutiny fame. I've barely started that one though. It supposedly has things not covered in the books. Cap'n Fatso was quite a guy.

If I ever get a chance to go to Chicago I'd like to see the U-505 museum. It sounds fascinating.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
In the Eye of the Beholder KJ

Old 11-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
Guru

Makes the bulbous bow look like old hat.

I'd be happy w just a plumb stem.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
If you remember the SS United States in 1952!
On her maiden voyage on July 3, 1952,[clarification needed] United States broke the transatlantic speed record held by Queen Mary for the previous 14 years by over 10 hours, making the maiden crossing from the Ambrose lightship at New York Harbor to Bishop Rock off Cornwall, UK in 3 days, 10 hours, 40 minutes at an average speed of 35.59 knots (65.91 km/h; 40.96 mph) The liner also broke the westbound crossing record by returning to America in 3 days 12 hours and 12 minutes at an average speed of 34.51 knots (63.91 km/h; 39.71 mph), thereby obtaining both the eastbound and westbound speed records and the Blue Riband, the first time a US-flagged ship had held the speed record since SS Baltic claimed the prize 100 years earlier.
United States maintained a 30 knots (56 km/h; 35 mph) crossing speed on the North Atlantic in a service career that lasted 17 years.
United States lost the eastbound speed record in 1990 to Hoverspeed Great Britain; however, she continues to hold the Blue Riband as all subsequent record breakers were neither in passenger service nor were their voyages westbound.[17]
United States' maximum speed was deliberately exaggerated, and kept obscure for many years. An impossible value of 43 knots (80 km/h; 49 mph) was leaked to reporters by engineers after the first speed trial. [18] Her actual top speed—38.3 knots (70.9 km/h; 44.1 mph)[citation needed]—was not revealed until 1977. A Philadelphia Inquirer article reported the top speed achieved as 36 knots (67 km/h; 41 mph),[19] while another source reports that the highest possible sustained top speed was 35 knots (65 km/h; 40 mph).[20]
Old 11-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Again, the same boat lightened a bit with just the hull turned upside-down.
Attached Thumbnails
upside down.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
In the Eye of the Beholder KJ

Those shapes clearly make them wave-piercing. Good for stability and ride, and also probably average speed, but I suspect very wet on deck in a seaway...
Old 11-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #20

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
With the ability to make 40Knots + if the vessel did stuff the bow into heavy seas, the hull shape will shed the water load with much less stress to the hulls backbone. The tons of water landing atop the decks of the old stile hull kept the bow under longer as the engines drive her deeper into the on coming sea. Making the stress on the hull multiply. A SeaLand container ship stuffed her bow at 34 knots and the damage to the steel on the bow was unbelievable . The most forward deck plates were 3 layers of 3" steel. 9" of steel was rippled like a wash board. There is a very important reason for the design.
Closed Thread