Random Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mule

Guru
Vessel Name
Florita Ann
Vessel Make
1982 Present
Just a few fleeting thoughts:

From online reference source:"If the term pygmy is defined as a group's men having an average height below 1.55 meters (5 feet 1 inch), then there are also pygmies in Australia, Thailand, Malaysia, the Andaman Islands,[4] Indonesia, the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Bolivia, and Brazil,[5] including some Negritos of Southeast Asia."
I guess, should I decide to open a boat yard for our sized boats from the above I know where to run my help wanted ads. I would suspect I would have a fit with immigration getting H1B Visas for them not being a member of the Fortune 500. One source not mentioned is a tribe, group or "insert here" _________ the current politically correct flavor of the week, is in Puerto Rico, therefore US citizens....Just a thought.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Next, what happens to all the hatches, doors, fittings ports and so on of the broken ships such as the Costa Concordia...just an example, there are many, many more ships wrecked out every year and there must be a massive amount of stuff we could use. How can ya buy it, Why is not someone importing into the USA containers full for resale? If that is happening, how is it going? They break the ships in a 5th word country where the welders wear flip flops on the job so sand blasting, refurb work would be cheap over there, where ever that is.
=========================
More random thoughts invited here, lay off guns, anchors, Obama, battery cables and other religions might be a good idea...just a thought.:lol:

Last edited:
Did you pause and have second thoughts before you posted that?

I am glad he did not, and just posted some random thoughts.
Certainly it solves some issues on the thread about head tanks and hoses

The first paragraph is a direct quote from Wikipedia and all capitalized terms are proper nouns recognized as areas of the world or names of groups of people. So to answer your question, yes I thought that out.

The second paragraph, on the flip flop wearing welders, while serving in Vietnam I saw that type of disregard for safety, and it happens today in 5th word countries. By not talking about it does not change anything. If it is then it is.

I am completely surprised. Offering economic opportunity is not "heartless" by my rules of life. Were I a very small person dirt poor and offered opportunity, especially in a less than hopeful economic situation with relocation with a better chance for me and my family I would jump at it. Being small in statue is by no means the measure of a man and if you can use that to your advantage, why should you not? Happens here all the time, Kim K for instance, no talent ut makes it off her looks. I only know of the Puerto Rican tribe as relayed to me by a US Navy sailor stationed there in '68. I really do not get you guys, hell, I consider myself a liberal but I cannot change what is in the world and both of the subjects were employment ideas both in this country and overseas. I think the ships are broken somewhere in India, I saw a documentary and the people worked in conditions that was more than scary. Nothing I can do about that. The question is what happens to the stuff.

I think the ships are broken somewhere in India, I saw a documentary and the people worked in conditions that was more than scary. Nothing I can do about that. The question is what happens to the stuff.

That's where you and I differ, as I think I saw the same documentary and would never buy anything that came from there.

Point taken and noted. Now, that would change things how?

Keep your thoughts rolling Mule. Nothing wrong with them.

The biggest ship breaking operations are in Bangladesh. The ships are broken up for their scrap value, not for parts. And their parts would be worthless to the small boat crowd. Ever seen the hatches off a bulk carrier or the pipes and hoses off a tanker? Even a nav light fixture would cause one of our toy boats to list.:) Maybe the door knobs would be useful to the typical trawler owner but little else would be.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I could not find a single OSHA inspector in that photograph! The horror, the horror!

Seems we came here telling the native Americans how to run things, we tend to be that way.

I understand why the world is kinda tired of us telling them how to run things, we can't seem to get it right where we live.

Course this is just my opinion, you may think everything is honky dory, here wise, with happy unicorn farts and all.

I really like being left alone to chose as I wish as long as my choice ends 12" away from causing you any grief.

Now if the world would just see things my way, we would all be happy.

Random.

Jeeze...I just tried to start a somewhat surface, semi comical string looking for cheap doors and port lights and magnifying the unique services that can be provided by little people. :)Instead I received an ass whopping, deep thoughts, philosophy and guilt projecting likely by folks that might (heavy on the might) be wearing a shirts and shoes made in Bangladesh by semi slaves, purchased at Walmart. :confused: All while I am the left wing liberal...go figger. I gotta laugh:lol:

I'm with you, Mule. And when you get the H1b to get a pygmy here, please send him to my boat.

Mule, the balls to be eccentric in a non-threatening, not-aggressive way is rare and valuable and should be nurtured and encouraged by the rest of us boring old farts.

Its usually a British trait and often scarce in a gun-toting society.

Go crazy and keep posting!

On a lighter note, but still on-topic, when I was looking to buy a sextant on eBay I noticed a large number of these, along with all kinds of other "ship parts" that appeared to have been posted by the folks who break up ships, as in the picture above.

Stuff like port lights, doors, galley equipment, electronics, furniture, you name it.

Maybe it's short-sighted, but it always pains me a little to see a once-proud ship broken up. I feel there's some redemption in the fact that some small parts will get a new life.

I also think about the captain and crew who ran the ship up on the beach, and what that last cruise must be like.

I almost hesitated while typing "sextant". Something told me this crowd wasn't going to read ANY further...

I almost hesitated while typing "sextant". Something told me this crowd wasn't going to read ANY further...

Or turn it into something completely un intended, did she sextant you?? Did you hear of the politician sextant ing young women...:banghead::banghead:

Plenty of boating terms have other meanings that often times make prudish women blush.

Right now I would pay $50 to any small, skinny 8 year old kid who can turn a wrench, to squeeze into my engine bay and tighten a leaking fitting on the top of my water heater. I'm sure that would violate OSHA regs and child labor laws, so for now I just depend on the bilge pump to deal with the leakage.

"Little people," small flexible kids, street urchins in Bombay, heck, spider monkeys who can use a wrench, I don't care, they could make a killing at my marina.

I also think about the captain and crew who ran the ship up on the beach, and what that last cruise must be like.

Mark Knopfler wrote and recorded a great song about exactly that. It's called "Far From the Clyde" and it's a hard song to listen to if you like the sea and the ships that travel on it.

The Clyde, for anyone who doesn't know, is the river in Scotland along which many shipyards were located. For many decades it was the center of British shipbuilding.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom