Race to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Spy
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 26
This should be fun to follow. The website is hilarious. Starts June 4th.

Race to Alaska

RULES

● No motors
● No support
● No limit to vessel size
● No limit on number of crew
● First place team gets $10,000
● Second place gets a set of steak knives
● Teams completing Stage 1 without assistance can continue
● Any teams finishing ahead of the sweep boat are victorious
● Beware of: bears, hypothermia, driftwood, tidal whirlpools, other boats, hubris, irony, customs, everything else, and Rule 8.

Rule 8:​If we decide it’s necessary to consult a lawyer to figure out if you are disqualified or not, you are automatically disqualified.

Where's the website

Start and finish line? Sounds like a race for a long narrow row boat!

We watched a few boats getting prepped. Looks like we will be right in the middle of it as we head north. Should be very entertaining.

We watched a few boats getting prepped. Looks like we will be right in the middle of it as we head north. Should be very entertaining.

Hey, we shared the anchorage with you Monday in Echo Bay. What a surprise to see Tanglewood pulling in. We're heading north too and might see you again.

Nice to see our forum member Tad Roberts mentioned as a designer of one entry. :thumb:
From all indications, the majority of the race will run along the Alaska Ferry route.
As a often rider of the Bellingham/Alaska ferry knowing the route somewhat gives an appreciation and shout out to all those venturing in the race. It will be a "Bucket List" story to tell.
Skill and luck to all.:popcorn:
Al-Ketchikan

The rowers and kayakers will take the inside passage, while I think the fast cat sailboats will be outside.

I wish them all safe travels. We just completed N Vancouver to Sitka with great weather, not a drop of rain. A row boat in Johnstone Strait does not sound like fun.

The rowers and kayakers will take the inside passage, while I think the fast cat sailboats will be outside.

There is a checkpoint at Seymour Narrows, which pretty much forces everyone to the inside.

The Victoria Harbor start is two minutes from now!

I meant outside North of Vancouver Island. Looking forward to watching online. Unfortunately I fly off to work tomorrow, or I'd be out there chasing them as they pass by.

Timing of the rapids will take some interesting strategies, and some gut decisions...

Hey, we shared the anchorage with you Monday in Echo Bay. What a surprise to see Tanglewood pulling in. We're heading north too and might see you again.

Ah yes, I remember seeing your boat.

We just went through Seymour Narrows this morning and made it about 1/3 of the way down the Johnstone Straight before ducking into a cove to anchor. 30kts winds down the straight and pretty rough wind-against-current waves. I'm not sure how some of these boats are going to get through here until the winds die down, and that's not supposed to happen for quite a few days. Forecast is up to 40kts for tomorrow.

We're going to try heading out right at day break and get as far as we can before the winds really kick up. The current also won't be opposing the wind, for the first 4 hrs or so, but unfortunately it will be opposing us so progress won't be very far/fast.

Timing of the rapids will take some interesting strategies, and some gut decisions...

The "no rules except no motor" rules makes for an interesting eclectic field. I have no idea who will win (though I know who I'm rooting for!). A fascinating race.

It looks like a 27' trimaran may take or has taken the $10K home by a pretty good margin. Latitude 38 reported this morning that they had 16 miles to go with a 200 mile lead. I can't wait to see the race summary. If they do it again next year I bet they tweak the entries or at least have different classes.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

Back
Top Bottom