Question For You Bourbon Drinkers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bourbon

Several have correctly reported the technical requirements for a spirit to be labeled a “Bourbon”. Numerous other spirits—Scotch, Irish, Canadian, Rye, and “American” spirits are all whiskey that differers from the requirements to be titled Bourbon. Plus Bourbon is itself a Whiskey!

Despite the proliferation of spirits now produced “throughout the US and labeled Bourbon, most would argue that Bourbon must be distilled in Kentucky. Even the two largest Tennessee spirits (Jack Daniels and Evan Williams) are not labeled or represented as Bourbons but as Tennessee Whiskey

Not surprisingly all bourbons will have a slightly different taste. The formula for the grain that make the mash, the mineral content of the water used in the brewing process, the age, where the barrel is racked in the aging shed, the weather during the aging, and on and on contribute.

Enjoy them all!

It’s all whiskey of course. So if I’m just referring generically that’s fine. But I certainly do distinguish for my own tastes. I typically feel like bourbon or rye, and sometimes Irish. I rarely drink Scotch or Canadian.

There are a lot of amazing bourbons such as Blantons, EH Taylor, Angel’s Envy, etc. Eagle Rare is a great every-day. My personal favorite lately is an Old Fashioned with Dickel Rye.

Canadian rye whiskey is a shocker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What, none of youse guys mentioned the drink of your teenage years - Southern Comfort!

History

A pre-2010 Southern Comfort bottle with its label showing an illustration of Louisiana's Woodland Plantation. The label was redesigned in 2010.[8]
Southern Comfort was first produced by bartender Martin Wilkes Heron (1850–1920), the son of a boat-builder, in 1874 at McCauley's Tavern in the Lower Garden District, two miles north of the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana.[6] According to the New Orleans Convention & Visitors Bureau, McCauley's Tavern was "just off Bourbon Street", and the original form of the drink was called Cuffs and Buttons.[9]

Heron moved to Memphis, Tennessee, in 1889, patented his creation, and began selling it in sealed bottles with the slogan "None Genuine But Mine"[9] and "Two per customer. No Gentleman would ask for more." Southern Comfort won the gold medal at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis, Missouri.

In an episode of The Thirsty Traveler entitled "A River of Whiskey", spirits historian Chris Morris describes the original recipe of Southern Comfort. Heron began with good-quality bourbon and would add:

An inch of vanilla bean, about a quarter of a lemon, half of a cinnamon stick, four cloves, a few cherries, and an orange bit or two. He would let this soak for days. And right when he was ready to finish, he would add his sweetener: he liked to use honey.[10]

The original brand closed during Prohibition and was reopened afterward by Francis Fowler.[11]

Between the 1930s and 2010, the image on the label of Southern Comfort was A Home on the Mississippi, a rendering by Alfred Waud depicting Woodland Plantation, an antebellum mansion in West Pointe à la Hache, Louisiana, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and now provides bed-and-breakfast accommodation. In 2010 the plantation artwork was dropped from the label.[8]

Brown-Forman purchased the brand in 1979. In 2011, the brand began releasing flavored variations like cherry, lime, gingerbread, and Tabasco.[12] In January 2016 Brown-Forman sold it to Sazerac Company, along with Tuaca, as part of a $543.5 million deal.[13] Sazerac announced that Southern Comfort's formula would be changed in 2017 to restore whiskey as the base spirit, as the original formula used. Sometime before Brown-Forman purchased the brand, it had been reformulated to use neutral spirit, with only a negligible amount of whiskey as a flavorant.[5]

Janis Joplin was known to drink Southern Comfort to excess.[14]

It’s all whiskey of course. So if I’m just referring generically that’s fine. But I certainly do distinguish for my own tastes. I typically feel like bourbon or rye, and sometimes Irish. I rarely drink Scotch or Canadian.

There are a lot of amazing bourbons such as Blantons, EH Taylor, Angel’s Envy, etc. Eagle Rare is a great every-day. My personal favorite lately is an Old Fashioned with Dickel Rye.

during a trip through a few distilleries in kentucky i learned about the bourbon laws, yes there are bourbon laws, i was told that all bourbons are whiskies but not all whiskies are bourbons. by the way there are many distilleries near louiseville ky on the ohio river. great side trip if you are doing the loop.

btw, it looks like we have the same boat !

It's clear this is a boating site and not a whisky or whiskey site. We're usually spot on with boat information. We're only batting about .300 with the whiskey information. Everybody thinks they know what they're drinking, but clearly not everyone does. What they do know is what they like, and that's all that counts!

My 2 cents? I'll drink anything, but my preference is Bourbon. In a short glass. No stem, no snifter. No ice, no water. Just bourbon in glass. Like a man drinks it....:thumb:

Do you see it as, and/or call it, Bourbon or whiskey?
Well, if you were to ask me if I wanted a Bourbon, I'd answer "no"

If you were to offer me a whisky, I'd ask "what kind?". If you said "Bourbon", I would ask if you had any Scotch.

Canadians don't even call it whiskey, they just call it Rye.

Bardstown KY

I recommend traveling to Bardstown KY to fully research this most interesting conversation.

Bourbon.
I’ve been working my way through my Bourbon Bucket List. Problem is I keep adding to it so it’ll probably outlive me!
Tried a few whiskies but never really acquired a taste for it.

Here’s my Bourbon bucket list. I keep a copy on my phone for quick access.

??Four Roses Small Batch
Four Roses Single Barrel
??Angel's Envy
??Blanton's
Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 Year
??Hudson Baby Bourbon Whiskey
??Booker's
??Noah's Mill
Black Maple Hill 16 Year-Old Small Batch
??W.L. Weller 12 Year
Widow Jane 8 Year
Jefferson's Ocean: Aged at Sea
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
A.H. Hirsch Reserve
John E. Fitzgerald Larceny
George T. Stagg
Willet Pot Still Reserve
Heaven Hill - Elijah Craig
Larceny

Beer
Jack’s Abby Lagers

I interesting post - the favorite drink at our marina has become a bourbon old fashioned - largely at my urging.
We have evolved it to not only include a muddled orange slice and a cherry with a generous splash of bitters. Topped off with a splash of ginger ale instead of soda. It has become a favorite and everyone has a muddler aboard to release all the savory juices.

It's clear this is a boating site and not a whisky or whiskey site. We're usually spot on with boat information. We're only batting about .300 with the whiskey information. Everybody thinks they know what they're drinking, but clearly not everyone does. What they do know is what they like, and that's all that counts!

My 2 cents? I'll drink anything, but my preference is Bourbon. In a short glass. No stem, no snifter. No ice, no water. Just bourbon in glass. Like a man drinks it....:thumb:

Batting .300 will get you in the hall of fame in some years :)

We closed on one of my investment properties yesterday, (I’m still trying to downsize), and my Realtor stopped by a few minutes ago and offered this to me as a way of saying thank you for the business. I was pretty impressed, but to be honest, since Ive never heard of this particular “Irish Whiskey”, did a quick search of the ole interweb and was genuinely surprised.
Now I’m thinking I need to take it down to the boat in Mexico and give it proper taste!
Then again, I might get nailed on the customs going across the border. Oh well, guess Ill do the proper taste here at home.

Cheers All!

Attachments

• B0A2E4CD-F934-45D7-AC92-56BAF97D7E3E.jpg
    B0A2E4CD-F934-45D7-AC92-56BAF97D7E3E.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 33
We closed on one of my investment properties yesterday, (I’m still trying to downsize), and my Realtor stopped by a few minutes ago and offered this to me as a way of saying thank you for the business. I was pretty impressed, but to be honest, since Ive never heard of this particular “Irish Whiskey”, did a quick search of the ole interweb and was genuinely surprised.
Now I’m thinking I need to take it down to the boat in Mexico and give it proper taste!
Then again, I might get nailed on the customs going across the border. Oh well, guess Ill do the proper taste here at home.

Cheers All!

Yep, from Cork. And BTW, it is aged in ex-bourbon casks!

Canadians don't even call it whiskey, they just call it Rye.

Years ago I was in a foreign country (US of A) and wandered into a southern tavern. I asked for a Rye and the bar tender said "A what?". I repeated myself and he explained to me that they are a respectable establishment and don't serve that low grade booze. I was staggered and flustered. He could tell, so asked me exactly what I wanted. I was so flustered that I couldn't think of any brand names.
I thought Rye (also known as Whisky) was about the most popular alcoholic beverage on the planet. I looked over the bottles behind the bar and sure enough a Canadian Club bottle was front and centre. I pointed and said the name. Bar tender comes back with a comment I'll never forget. "That's not rye! That's CANADIAN BLENDED WHISKY." He told me there's no rye in it. "Bull." said I. He showed me the bottle and there wasn't a word on the label about any rye content.

In Canada it's generally called Rye.
In Canada, Canadian Club is not considered to be particularly good but it sure is plentiful.

Greg S

I interesting post - the favorite drink at our marina has become a bourbon old fashioned - largely at my urging.
We have evolved it to not only include a muddled orange slice and a cherry with a generous splash of bitters. Topped off with a splash of ginger ale instead of soda. It has become a favorite and everyone has a muddler aboard to release all the savory juices.
OK, I have to admit that old fashioneds are pretty darn good. Had one at Gretzky's airport bar, one evening when I felt fancy.

OK, I have to admit that old fashioneds are pretty darn good. Had one at Gretzky's airport bar, one evening when I felt fancy.

From Ludovica, the amazing bartender at The Palapa Grill in Sint Maarten - the New Fangled Old Fashioned:
1 shot of bourbon (or a nice aged rum if you prefer, like Zacapa 23)
4 to 6 shakes of Angostura Bitters (the original, or the orange flavored)
1/3 shot of Habanero rich syrup (twice as much sugar as simple syrup, with an habanero or two steeped in it. We use agave nectar with the habaneros instead.)

Shake with ice or stir vigorously to dissolve the syrup. Strain over fresh ice cubes, and finish with a twist of orange peel.

We had one last August, and it immediately became our favorite cocktail. If you get it right, you taste all the flavors, and it's fantastic.

If you are ever near Central Kentucky and want to learn about Kentucky Bourbon do the Kentucky Bourbon Trail or just a few of the distilleries. There are some big differences in the process between the smaller volume distilleries and the higher volume distilleries.

Woodford Reserve is in a pretty location and has an interesting tour. You really get up close to the process. It isn’t far from Lexington. It is a smaller volume distillery. Wild Turkey is a higher volume distillery and very different than Woodford Reserve.

https://kybourbontrail.com

After going to school in KY it is bourbon all the way... Buffalo Trace, Col EH Taylor, Woodford Reserve, all good!

Col. M Joplin
Kentucky. Colonel, 1984

I like the smokey flavors of Scotch myself. One could also ask the question of is it Whiskey or Whisky?

I always thought that if it had an E in it, it was from the States.

I prefer the cousin, Rob Roy.. The wife makes a dam good one!

Use to drink all my whiskies straight or on the rocks. As I got older I found that a drink above a certain percent of alcohol gave me the hiccups and I had to give it up. Now, all I drink are manhattans shaken with ice and strained. I've had then made with all types of American whiskies. My favorite was Jefferson's Ocean, but too expensive for me at $90 bottle (a friend had turned me on to it). I will spend that much(or more) on special occasions for wine. My go to's are JD, Makers Mark, Bulleit (rye or not), and Knob Creek. If I'm feeling flush I'll get an upgrade on the vermouth.

To my wife's chagrin, I am known for going into foreign restaurants and, if I see the ingredients on the shelf, instructing them in making me a manhattan. My favorite was in a small bistro on Lappe St. in Paris called Sans Culotte (used in a scene in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel series). The waiter and bartender were enthusiastic. I speak no French and they spoke little English. It ended up being a blended ice drink as that was how their other cocktails were made. Still good and I appreciated the effort. I was now known as Mr. Manhattan when ever we would return.

Despite having been a partner in a craft brewery for 32 years, my other beverage is red wine. That's a whole different subject!

Tator

Bourbon Requirements
On 4 May 1964, the United States Congress recognized Bourbon Whiskey as a “distinctive product of the United States.” The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 CFR 5) state that bourbon must meet these requirements:

Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.
Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.
Bourbon may not be introduced to the barrel at higher than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.
Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.
Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.

Much more interest in this thread than most of the boating threads!

We are much more expert on boating than drinking although there is a lot of overlap.

Father's Day gift. Jefferson's Voyage 19. It's a whole new level of smooth and complex. Cedar, tobacco, and flavors and aromas I can't quite place. Surprisingly light but so complex at the same time. Almost zero burn. No ice for this one. Wow. It's a while new Bourbon experience for me. 20200621_093440.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom