Propane Gen...for an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Helmsman 4304
Down the road my wife and I may purchase a small, Class B or C RV. Many of the models in this class have propane generators, but some are diesel. Rating about 3KW and the predominant brand is Cummins Onan. Curious if there are any RVers out there, and how they like their propane generators? Any downsides to these compared to diesel?

RVs use permanently installed generators powered by gas, diesel or propane. All are 3,600 rpm units (except maybe really big ones on big diesel pusher RVs), are air cooled and are noisy. A Honda 2000 in Eco mode makes 2/3 as much noise.

Diesel gensets are only used on diesel driven MHs. Similarly for gasoline generators. LP generators are used on some smaller Mercedes Sprinter diesel based RVs as they are several thousand dollars cheaper and these RVs are price sensitive.

Diesel driven boats use diesel generators and gasoline driven boats use gasoline generators. I have never seen a propane generator on a boat. You can't install an air cooled RV type generator in the engine room of a boat and I doubt that any propane fueled ones are made for engine room installation.

So there is very little crossover from boat and RV generators. The only common element is the Honda type portable generators which are used on both, but sitting outside.

David

I'm in the process of buying a Mercedes Sprinter which I'll have fitted out as a class B camper van by a conversion shop. I've been asking myself the same question on having a genset or not. What I've decided is to not have a generator but add an second engine alternator, an additional house battery giving me a total of 400 house ah, and 200 watts of solar panels. This will cover my electrical budget using a 3 kw inverter and shorepower from time to time. I have read that propane gensets are sensitive to high altitudes, as in the Rocky Mountains, if that's an issue for you.

I'm in the process of buying a Mercedes Sprinter which I'll have fitted out as a class B camper van by a conversion shop. I've been asking myself the same question on having a genset or not. What I've decided is to not have a generator but add an second engine alternator, an additional house battery giving me a total of 400 house ah, and 200 watts of solar panels. This will cover my electrical budget using a 3 kw inverter and shorepower from time to time. I have read that propane gensets are sensitive to high altitudes, as in the Rocky Mountains, if that's an issue for you.

Class C - We don't like campgrounds so we boondock for 3-4 months at a time.
Propane stove and water heater. TV (through inverter), lights, stereo and near full size fridge are powered by two 315Watt solar panels. Don't know what we'd use a generator for.

Attachments

• IMG_9965.JPG
    IMG_9965.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 30
Boondocking is what we have in mind....sort of like anchoring out rather than marinas. This Sprinter has 4WD which will allow access to fly fishing spots via BLM and Forest Service roads. Looking forward to it.

The RV world is new to me. We rented one 20 years ago when my kids were little, and that was it. Now that I am retired and my wife will be joining me in another 2 years we figured it would be a fun way to see the US and Canada. I am also leaning toward the Sprinter Chassis with has the diesel main engine. Good point regarding the solar panels and alternators. All of the models I have looked at have the small 3KW Gen and most are propane. Lots more research to do as I know enough to be dangerous at this point. Also, does anyone have a Canadian built LTV? Their Unity model which is built on a Sprinter chassis is really nice. They seem to be very well built for the price point.

We have an older Sprinter based class B with a propane generator. It gobbles up the propane and is noisy.

There are so many other considerations in purchasing or specing an RV build out. I think you mentioned boondocking in another post? Take a close look at endurance. Potable water, black water and gray water and propane tankage. Cold food storage too. For van conversions make sure you have the ground clearance you want. A long wheel base Sprinter with skirts and waste tank drains under the skirt is a paved road machine.

If I do it over again I'll consider a heavy duty 4X4 pickup conversion. Far better off road capability. And a Cummins diesel, not a Mercedes that needs expensive techs and parts.

As with a boat, buy or build an RV set up the way you want it. Don't plan on making big changes to an already built rig.

Down the road my wife and I may purchase a small, Class B or C RV. Many of the models in this class have propane generators, but some are diesel. Rating about 3KW and the predominant brand is Cummins Onan. Curious if there are any RVers out there, and how they like their propane generators? Any downsides to these compared to diesel?

For about 10 years I used a 4kw Onan RV generator, 1800 rpm, propane powered, installed in a shed for off-grid power to supplement solar. So the same sort of power system as a boat or RV, but it just didn't move anywhere.

It came set up to run on gas/petrol, but I converted it to propane. The choice of propane was two-fold. First and foremost was to be able to run off our bulk propane tank. That way I didn't need to worry about refueling. The second was because a propane engine will start without a fuss at pretty much any temp. It commonly gets to -10F here, and it always started.

In a later upgrade I relocated the generator and replaced it with an 11kw diesel, once again installed in a building and drawing from a bulk tank.

I still have the Onan if anyone is interested. I think the big difference between it and current models is that it's 1800 rpm vs the current 3600 rpm designs, so it's much quieter. And I have both the gas and propane fuel kits, so it can be rigged to run of either type of fuel.

Propane generators are fuel hogs and propane storage on such a vehicle will be limited. So run time will be limited. Don't know the numbers but doubt you will get more than a day or two run time.

But the only thing you would really need the gennie for is AC. If you are travelling where AC is not really needed, you could go without a gennie. And if you really need AC but only a few times, nothing wrong with starting the main engine and using that AC unit.

I wouldn't use propane for the generator in an RV either. Use whichever fuel the vehicle uses, either gas or diesel.

BTW, another technical reason to NOT use propane is the required tank size, not for the quantity of fuel, but for the evaporation rate. When I set up ours for propane, I was cautioned that it would not run off a 20lb gas grill tank because the liquid propane can't evaporate fast enough to feed the draw from the generator, and it starves for fuel. You need physically bigger tanks with more liquid surface area.

Propane generators are fuel hogs and propane storage on such a vehicle will be limited. So run time will be limited. Don't know the numbers but doubt you will get more than a day or two run time.
Yes indeed they are fuel hogs. Running the gen enough to keep the house bank up and the propane forced air furnace in cold weather, by PNW standards, I get about 4 days endurance.
But the only thing you would really need the gennie for is AC. If you are travelling where AC is not really needed, you could go without a gennie. And if you really need AC but only a few times, nothing wrong with starting the main engine and using that AC unit.
What the gen is needed for depends so much upon the rig and how it is used. We need it to keep the house bank up when boondocking. Many van conversions are so close to gross vehicle weight before adding people, provisions, water and personal effects there isn't much 'free weight' left. Also space in van conversions is at a premium. Increasing the house bank size is just not a realistic option.

I wouldn't use propane for the generator in an RV either. Use whichever fuel the vehicle uses, either gas or diesel.
Agreed. Keep the # of tanks and different fuels to a minimum.
BTW, another technical reason to NOT use propane is the required tank size, not for the quantity of fuel, but for the evaporation rate. When I set up ours for propane, I was cautioned that it would not run off a 20lb gas grill tank because the liquid propane can't evaporate fast enough to feed the draw from the generator, and it starves for fuel. You need physically bigger tanks with more liquid surface area.
That entirely depends upon the size of the gen. Many Class B RVs run their gen on propane from small onboard tanks. There is a good technical reason to burn propane vs gasoline in an RV gen. Much lower CO emissions. The gen in a class B RV is usually under the vehicle. Often with exhaust exiting where it can easily get into open windows and doors.

On the subject of propane. On a multi weak trip through the desert SW in some areas we ran into problems finding places that would fill the built in tank. Exchange tank were everywhere. If using propane and endurance is a concern consider a bumper or hitch cargo rack and carry an exchange tank and adapter to fit the rig's propane system.

Good feedback, Thanks.

I am actually in the desert now and have been here the past week. I like the remoteness out here, similar to escaping the crowds on the open ocean. Some of The More popular state parks are actually very full now due to Covid. Joshua Tree had a half hour wait just to drive in the front gate.

Many of the class B and C models I have looked at don’t have an option for a diesel Gen, Propane only. I probably wouldn’t use it very much, but having it for an unusually hot day to run the Air Cond for the afternoon would be the primary use. Just considering the options At this point.

How about leveling systems for smaller Class B and C sized couches? Are they worth it/needed?

Last edited:
I had a Roadtrek SS Agile with a propane Onan. I generally used it only to run the air conditioning for the dogs. The bulk of the hours were to keep it exercised.

As others said, they are noisy. Ours was noisy.

I thought the propane consumption was efficient.

Ours was mounted under the Sprinter chassis, behind the rear axle. The wiring from Roadtrek was not adequately protected from moisture and road salt, so it had to be rewired.

I may have another Class B someday, they are fantastic travel vehicles. With the availability of today’s solar and lithium batteries, I would not consider a generator arrangement like I had on the Sprinter.

We did not have a leveling system - we just used the common blocks as needed.

Good Luck.

I boondock and stop at truck stops in my 24 foot RV class C every couple months all year.

I run my Onan genset occasionally, mostly monthly to purge old gas.

Runs fine, does the job.

As long as it is maintained properly, would not prefer the propane variety as mentioned before as propane tankage is way more limited than gas.

We have a 2005 Sprinter Class B with propane generator. Its noisy but its very dependable and with little maintenance. We know other Class B owners that have gasoline generators and have issues with the carburetors. Diesel generators don't seem to be an option for van conversions do to size.

Like Irene, If we were doing a build out today, I forgo a generator, load the roof up with solar panels and use lithium batteries.

Like a boat, its all a compromise.

Thread drift: We will spend a lot of time off grid including State Parks, but I was also planning on staying at privately owned RV grounds. These are more expensive than I had expected; 50 to $100 per night for a 25 footer on average. If you are traveling, and just want a parking spot to crash for the night, can you do this at rest stops along freeways and truck stops? What other places can you get away with it for the night? I know this is a very general question and it will vary depending on the State, etc.

Last edited:
I've used an app called iExit with some success to locate stops that allow overnight. Often rest areas with an 8 hr limit. On occasion I've tried just finding a quiet side street or in a parking lot. I never sleep well in those places. A side street will almost always not be level enough for a good night's sleep. Setting up leveling announces you are aboard and will often draw 'inspection' by locals or law enforcement. Finding a parking lot the leveling is usually eliminated but not the inspections. It's no fun to be awoken by someone shining a flashlight into the rig or trying the door handles.

Thread drift: We will spend a lot of time off grid including State Parks, but I was also planning on staying at privately owned RV grounds. These are more expensive than I had expected; 50 to $100 per night for a 25 footer on average. If you are traveling, and just want a parking spot to crash for the night, can you do this at rest stops along freeways and truck stops? What other places can you get away with it for the night? I know this is a very general question and it will vary depending on the State, etc.

I just did 2 round trips from Florida to Vermont. Pennsylvania doesn’t allow more than 3 hours in the “car” parking area at a rest stop but you’re ok parking within the 18 wheelers. That was the only state I was asked to move. Truck stops are always an option. I stopped at a Petro Truck stop that had separate parking for RVs, plugins for a fee and a dump station.

Walmart is an option, and they encourage RV overnighters. Based on what I read, most states allow around 12 hours of stay at rest stops and it isn't actively enforced. Another possibility is Harvest Hosts, which is a network of wineries, breweries, and farms that allow RV's to stay overnight on their property. The rule is that you have to be self sufficient since there are no hookups or facitilites, and you have to behave and not make noise, etc. The expectation is that you will buy things from the Hosts to make it worth their while. I have joined HH but haven't used them yet. Lots of good reviews online.

These places will often let you park overnight:

Rest stops in the truck/trailer section
Truck stops, but ask first
Walmarts, ditto
Cracker Barrels, ditto
Dick's stores, ditto
Cabelas stores, ditto

These membership clubs let you sign up for free overnight stays:

Boondocker's Welcome
Harvest Hosts

Finally, George ? the king of boondockers would find an out of the way spot, sometimes in a commercial business park and stop for the night. He would arrive after dark and leave just after dawn. Don't know what happened to George. Last I heard he had settled in Mexico.

David

Fletcher,

With your interest in small RVs and possibly a Sprinter conversion you may find these helpful

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/ for general Class B as well as specific conversations.

And

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php for Sprinter specific info.

I don't post much on either site but read a lot. I have when having problems on a trip reached out to the Sprinter forum and gotten timely help.

We also have a sprinter built out for boondocking, but it's somewhat primitive. Heat/bed/cabinets/sink/solar/inverter.

The only thing a generator would be beneficial for is A/C. Very hard to power a/c with solar/batteries. Otherwise, solar is relatively cheap and easy to do. I have 200W panels, 200amp-hr AGM battery. Plenty to run coffee pot/microwave/lights/fan/laptop charger/diesel heater overnight.

Like others said, Harvest Host is generally well liked by users for overnight camping spots. We have about 100 nights spent in the van in the last 4 years, and I have a list of boondocking sites stored on my phone. Way better than a Walmart, IMO. Especially the view, access to hiking/biking/fishing sites!

With our '03 Sprinter chassis and '05 Gulfstream conversion we have endurance issues when boondocking. Specifically black water and potable water. We don't like the big crowded campgrounds. The gems we've found are National Forest unimproved camp grounds. The camp sites tend to be smaller, further apart and more private than the bigger fully serviced places. The big rigs making lots of noise tend to shy away. They help us extend endurance by having potable water available and toilets, often pit toilets.

I came across a discussion about Advanced RV (AVR), a high end custom van/Class B build out company. It sounds like they’ve installed one Cummins Onan propane generator in the last 8 years and it wasn’t because of cost.

I third the recommendation to ditch the generator and instead go with a good sized battery bank that is charged by the vehicle engine when running AND also charged from solar panels.

I have a Chevy P30 that I made into a food truck and put solar panels on it with a battery bank. Contrary to all the very adamant internet and social media "expert" advice I never did install a generator on my truck..... After 6 years of operation I never once needed one. I also power my HOME off this solar/battery system.

In my experience, it is a matter of not wasting power and also sizing your system to accomodate your actual useage, NOT OVER COMPENSATING. Those who say do the math to see what you need, add 30%, then double it, are OVER engineering things making them far bigger and more expensive then they need to be.

We have a MB Sprinter class C 24 ft Isata with a propane gen set.

The huge delight of propane is the very low maint required , especially if the unit is seldom used.

The carb stays clean and operation after 2-6 months of non use is fine.

Propane reefer and heat and hot water require some batt juice but not the gen set.Solar easily makes up for the parasite loads and function loads.

It for us is a "nice" to have , rather than a "need" to have.

We prefer campgrounds so a question of overnight with air cond by gen set seldom is a choice.Fine for an o'nite , but would get old and costly 24/7.

WE have had class A 20&24 gas units , 35 ft bus conversions and noe the Sprinter. The sprinter is a delight as it is as quiet as a gas unit but cruises at 80mph towing a 12 ft trailer (for snow birding).

Sprinter weight is a concern so a total electric camper might better use a diesel, and forget a huge batt bank.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/

The Escapees RV club is one of the best source for folks that need free camping info.

Last edited:
"Campendium" is an excellent app to find campgrounds, all types including boondocking sites.
we've stayed at one Harvest Host so far, the Tallahassee Auto museum. It was a good experience.

Have a 2019 ERA 70A 4x4 (Class B), love the it, it has propane Gen, Solar Panels, Lithium batteries...the propane consumption is reasonable we get about 24 hours run time on 16 gallon tank... (you do not run it 24 a day). We have a habit of filling up the propane when fill up with diesel. The diesel tanks on the sprinters are SMALL...you have refill at 1/4 tank, if you run lower and are on hills you risk air getting into the system as it shallow long and narrow tank (hence the lights and warning you get at 1/4 tank. We still love our boat more, but the Van as we call is great tool for long road trips, and get aways when not on the boat or going to it. We have put 25K miles in just 1.5 years so I guess we like it alot more then I am sharing.

MD, I'm also getting 4x4 on my Sprinter, which will be built out by Sportsmobile. On various Class B and Sprinter forums, there has been grumbling about engaging/disengaging 4x4 and other difficulties using it. How has your experience been with Sprinter 4x4?

Back
Top Bottom