Old 12-19-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sydney
Please keep it a secret :)

Australia is best country in world to live while Canberra is the best city | Daily Mail Online
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
No problem with Australia scoring well, but Canberra??
Canberra is the compromise to Sydney or Melbourne becoming Australia`s capital, a characterless city created out of nothing at the mid point between them pleasing no one. Filled with public servants, politicians, surrounding the artificial Lake Burley Griffin (aka Lake Barely Tolerable), largely deserted when Parliament is not in session.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #3
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Canberra is the only city outside of Canada that my wife and I have been tempted to live in permanently. It depends on your scorecard of course, but I don't disagree with the ranking.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Guru

Have friends that live on the lake in Canberra they live a very nice relaxed life I love going there. One thing for sure if I did live there my big boat looking days would be over LOL
Old 12-20-2015, 12:57 AM   #5
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I guess Canberra is "an acquired taste" I never acquired, but I like that others like it. The Hyatt Hotel is nice, so is the truly amazing War Memorial, and it is a good cycling town, especially the ride around the lake I`ve done many times when there and in neighboring Queanbeyan for work. The black swans on the lake are cool. But it still leaves me cold, especially in winter.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #6

City: Vancouver BC
Never been to Australia, but I don't think I could live without a sandy beach, reef and the smell of the ocean.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
Never been to Australia, but I don't think I could live without a sandy beach, reef and the smell of the ocean.

Non of that here just barren deserts a few small hills covered in gum trees maybe 4 rivers lots blow flys and stinking hot weather spread it around .
Old 12-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Non of that here just barren deserts a few small hills covered in gum trees maybe 4 rivers lots blow flys and stinking hot weather spread it around .
I was referring to Canberra (inland city) I'm sure the Gold Coast rocks.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
I was referring to Canberra (inland city) I'm sure the Gold Coast rocks.

Many better places to go than the Gold Coast.Im spending 3 weeks at Hawks Nest NSW

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=h...ens+hawks+nest
Old 12-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #10

It's on my bucket list. I've been watching this show for a while ...
History Channel - Coast Australia - The History Channel
Old 12-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
It's on my bucket list. I've been watching this show for a while ...
History Channel - Coast Australia - The History Channel

"O" bugger now you have let the cat out of the bag now all the gun toting rednecks will want to spoil the place
Old 12-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: -
Been to Australia a number of times for work but only to three places: Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane. Our favorite by a long shot was Melbourne. It's been my experience that towns with trolley cars are always more classy than the ones without.

Sydney was second. We stayed in a hotel right under the bridge and across from the opera house. The coolest thing about Sidney in my opinion are the huge fruit bats that live in the park and head out across the harbor in the evening for points inland to feed. It's like watching a fleet of bombers head out on a night mission. Not sure what it says about a city that the coolest thing about it are its bats, but that's the way it is.

Brisbane didn't do anything for us at all. There are some great restaurants along the river walk but outside of that it's just a city. Didn't have any personality that we could see or feel.

Now New Zealand is a whole different deal. New Zealand is just flat out cool. We were there for work but we had time to do some driving around on the north island. What I've seen of the south island is a mind-blower but that was just a flight into and out of Queenstown on the flight deck of a Qantas 737 to shoot the world's most difficult approach (now made easy by RNP which is why we were there). But photos and videos friends have taken on vacations to the south island are really something.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Been to Australia a number of times for work but only to three places: Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane. Our favorite by a long shot was Melbourne. It's been my experience that towns with trolley cars are always more classy than the ones without.

Sydney was second. We stayed in a hotel right under the bridge and across from the opera house. The coolest thing about Sidney in my opinion are the huge fruit bats that live in the park and head out across the harbor in the evening for points inland to feed. It's like watching a fleet of bombers head out on a night mission. Not sure what it says about a city that the coolest thing about it are its bats, but that's the way it is.

Brisbane didn't do anything for us at all. There are some great restaurants along the river walk but outside of that it's just a city. Didn't have any personality that we could see or feel.

Now New Zealand is a whole different deal. New Zealand is just flat out cool. We were there for work but we had time to do some driving around on the north island. What I've seen of the south island is a mind-blower but that was just a flight into and out of Queenstown on the flight deck of a Qantas 737 to shoot the world's most difficult approach (now made easy by RNP which is why we were there). But photos and videos friends have taken on vacations to the south island are really something.

Glad you didn't like Sydney so your not coming back ??
Old 12-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Glad you didn't like Sydney so your not coming back ??
Oh, we liked Sydney. Nice vibrant city. Just that our favorite thing about it is the bats.

But no, we have no reason or motivation to return to Australia unless we have to go back to Brisbane for the project the company has going on up there. None of us were all that impressed with what we saw of the country compared to all the other places we've been on the planet.

It's sort of like going back in time, actually. Australia strikes us as a kind of bewildered kid staring at the world with big eyes as it tries to figure out what's going on. Nice people, don't get me wrong. It's just kind of a throwback to the 1950s.

New Zealand is a bit like going back in time, too, but the people themselves seem a whole lot more sophisticated and aware than the Australians. Don't know why that is, though. Do you? And of course New Zealand has it hands down over Australia when it comes to the beauty of the place.

So, no, I can't think of any reason to go to Australia unless work sends us there again. But I wouldn't spend my own money to go there, not when there are so many other great choices on the planet.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Gold Coast
Vessel Name: Carpe Diem
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 56 Pilothouse
I agree with Marian. New Zealand is the place to go. Great landscape. Great landscape. Umm great landscape. The people you meet are friendly that's because there are so few of them. Please go to New Zealand they need all the people they can get. They will take anyone. Most New Zealanders live in Australia especially the Gold Coast. Please don't go to the Great Barrier Reef or the Australian outback, it's not worth seeing. Better to go to New Zealand and step back from in time. Forget Brisbane and Sydney. Maybe it's an acquired taste. I know where I want to live and play...
Aussie Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:18 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Doug View Post
I agree with Marian. New Zealand is the place to go. Great landscape. Great landscape. Umm great landscape. The people you meet are friendly that's because there are so few of them. Please go to New Zealand they need all the people they can get. They will take anyone. Most New Zealanders live in Australia especially the Gold Coast. Please don't go to the Great Barrier Reef or the Australian outback, it's not worth seeing. Better to go to New Zealand and step back from in time. Forget Brisbane and Sydney. Maybe it's an acquired taste. I know where I want to live and play...

Martin likes the NZ sheep as well
Old 12-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Doug View Post
Please don't go to the Great Barrier Reef or the Australian outback, it's not worth seeing.
Thanks, we know that. Everyone we know who's visited those places says the same thing. They're interesting but don't come anywhere close to living up to the hype. But everyone we know who's visited New Zealand says it far exceeded their expectations. So if anyone wants to spend their own money to visit that part of the world it seems to be a no-brainer decision as to which one to choose.

But for us we have no real interest in that part of the world anyway. There are far more regions with better scenery, cooler things to do, and truly fascinating histories than down there.

I guess if I had to sum up our impression of Australia in one word it would be "boring." I and my crew certainly were all the times we were there.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #18
Guru

Maybe if we had a few more burger places gun shops and a Walmart on every corner Ozz just maybe a better Yankee tourist location .
Old 12-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Maybe if we had a few more burger places gun shops and a Walmart on every corner Ozz just maybe a better Yankee tourist location .
If we wanted those things we wouldn't leave the USA. If you want us to spend our money going to Ozz, you need to offer somethings that are better than what we can find here (or elsewhere). So what would those be?

Oh and the Daily Mail isn't my go to source for travel info.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 06:37 AM   #20
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
If you want us to spend our money going to Ozz, you need to offer somethings that are better than what we can find here (or elsewhere). So what would those be?
Marsupials!
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote