Please keep it a secret :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No problem with Australia scoring well, but Canberra??
Canberra is the compromise to Sydney or Melbourne becoming Australia`s capital, a characterless city created out of nothing at the mid point between them pleasing no one. Filled with public servants, politicians, surrounding the artificial Lake Burley Griffin (aka Lake Barely Tolerable), largely deserted when Parliament is not in session.

Canberra is the only city outside of Canada that my wife and I have been tempted to live in permanently. It depends on your scorecard of course, but I don't disagree with the ranking.

Have friends that live on the lake in Canberra they live a very nice relaxed life I love going there. One thing for sure if I did live there my big boat looking days would be over LOL

I guess Canberra is "an acquired taste" I never acquired, but I like that others like it. The Hyatt Hotel is nice, so is the truly amazing War Memorial, and it is a good cycling town, especially the ride around the lake I`ve done many times when there and in neighboring Queanbeyan for work. The black swans on the lake are cool. But it still leaves me cold, especially in winter.

Never been to Australia, but I don't think I could live without a sandy beach, reef and the smell of the ocean.

Never been to Australia, but I don't think I could live without a sandy beach, reef and the smell of the ocean.

Non of that here just barren deserts a few small hills covered in gum trees maybe 4 rivers lots blow flys and stinking hot weather spread it around .;)

Non of that here just barren deserts a few small hills covered in gum trees maybe 4 rivers lots blow flys and stinking hot weather spread it around .;)

:D I was referring to Canberra (inland city) I'm sure the Gold Coast rocks.

Been to Australia a number of times for work but only to three places: Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane. Our favorite by a long shot was Melbourne. It's been my experience that towns with trolley cars are always more classy than the ones without.

Sydney was second. We stayed in a hotel right under the bridge and across from the opera house. The coolest thing about Sidney in my opinion are the huge fruit bats that live in the park and head out across the harbor in the evening for points inland to feed. It's like watching a fleet of bombers head out on a night mission. Not sure what it says about a city that the coolest thing about it are its bats, but that's the way it is.

Brisbane didn't do anything for us at all. There are some great restaurants along the river walk but outside of that it's just a city. Didn't have any personality that we could see or feel.

Now New Zealand is a whole different deal. New Zealand is just flat out cool. We were there for work but we had time to do some driving around on the north island. What I've seen of the south island is a mind-blower but that was just a flight into and out of Queenstown on the flight deck of a Qantas 737 to shoot the world's most difficult approach (now made easy by RNP which is why we were there). But photos and videos friends have taken on vacations to the south island are really something.

Been to Australia a number of times for work but only to three places: Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane. Our favorite by a long shot was Melbourne. It's been my experience that towns with trolley cars are always more classy than the ones without.

Sydney was second. We stayed in a hotel right under the bridge and across from the opera house. The coolest thing about Sidney in my opinion are the huge fruit bats that live in the park and head out across the harbor in the evening for points inland to feed. It's like watching a fleet of bombers head out on a night mission. Not sure what it says about a city that the coolest thing about it are its bats, but that's the way it is.

Brisbane didn't do anything for us at all. There are some great restaurants along the river walk but outside of that it's just a city. Didn't have any personality that we could see or feel.

Now New Zealand is a whole different deal. New Zealand is just flat out cool. We were there for work but we had time to do some driving around on the north island. What I've seen of the south island is a mind-blower but that was just a flight into and out of Queenstown on the flight deck of a Qantas 737 to shoot the world's most difficult approach (now made easy by RNP which is why we were there). But photos and videos friends have taken on vacations to the south island are really something.

Glad you didn't like Sydney so your not coming back ?? :D

Glad you didn't like Sydney so your not coming back ?? :D

Oh, we liked Sydney. Nice vibrant city. Just that our favorite thing about it is the bats.

But no, we have no reason or motivation to return to Australia unless we have to go back to Brisbane for the project the company has going on up there. None of us were all that impressed with what we saw of the country compared to all the other places we've been on the planet.

It's sort of like going back in time, actually. Australia strikes us as a kind of bewildered kid staring at the world with big eyes as it tries to figure out what's going on. Nice people, don't get me wrong. It's just kind of a throwback to the 1950s.

New Zealand is a bit like going back in time, too, but the people themselves seem a whole lot more sophisticated and aware than the Australians. Don't know why that is, though. Do you? And of course New Zealand has it hands down over Australia when it comes to the beauty of the place.

So, no, I can't think of any reason to go to Australia unless work sends us there again. But I wouldn't spend my own money to go there, not when there are so many other great choices on the planet.

I agree with Marian. New Zealand is the place to go. Great landscape. Great landscape. Umm great landscape. The people you meet are friendly that's because there are so few of them. Please go to New Zealand they need all the people they can get. They will take anyone. Most New Zealanders live in Australia especially the Gold Coast. Please don't go to the Great Barrier Reef or the Australian outback, it's not worth seeing. Better to go to New Zealand and step back from in time. Forget Brisbane and Sydney. Maybe it's an acquired taste. I know where I want to live and play...

I agree with Marian. New Zealand is the place to go. Great landscape. Great landscape. Umm great landscape. The people you meet are friendly that's because there are so few of them. Please go to New Zealand they need all the people they can get. They will take anyone. Most New Zealanders live in Australia especially the Gold Coast. Please don't go to the Great Barrier Reef or the Australian outback, it's not worth seeing. Better to go to New Zealand and step back from in time. Forget Brisbane and Sydney. Maybe it's an acquired taste. I know where I want to live and play...

Martin likes the NZ sheep as well :lol:

Please don't go to the Great Barrier Reef or the Australian outback, it's not worth seeing.

Thanks, we know that. Everyone we know who's visited those places says the same thing. They're interesting but don't come anywhere close to living up to the hype. But everyone we know who's visited New Zealand says it far exceeded their expectations. So if anyone wants to spend their own money to visit that part of the world it seems to be a no-brainer decision as to which one to choose.

But for us we have no real interest in that part of the world anyway. There are far more regions with better scenery, cooler things to do, and truly fascinating histories than down there.

I guess if I had to sum up our impression of Australia in one word it would be "boring." I and my crew certainly were all the times we were there.

Last edited:
Maybe if we had a few more burger places gun shops and a Walmart on every corner Ozz just maybe a better Yankee tourist location .:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Maybe if we had a few more burger places gun shops and a Walmart on every corner Ozz just maybe a better Yankee tourist location .:rolleyes:
If we wanted those things we wouldn't leave the USA. If you want us to spend our money going to Ozz, you need to offer somethings that are better than what we can find here (or elsewhere). So what would those be?

Oh and the Daily Mail isn't my go to source for travel info.

Ted

Marsupials!

Big whoop. We have marsupials, too. The last picture is their reaction when they hear an Australian accent.:)

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1451068068.266389.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1451068085.696197.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1451068102.365964.jpg

Last edited:
You would need to be close to the australian to here there accent the american tourists accents can he heard from miles away;)

As seen in this shot american tourists :D
Not sure what the problem is? You want it kept a secret and we're happy to go elsewhere. ;)

Ted

Kangaroos are pests and koala bears are lazy and mean. If we had them it would be more business for the pest control folks and roo bar manufactures but outside of that I don't see any benefit. I suspect there's a reason why nature put them in a land far away from anything that matters.:)

Last edited:
Koalas are not actually bears,and their worst sin is peeing while being cuddled. It`s the drop bears in the trees visitors should fear. And the sharks, but they`re not in the trees. Yet.
I flew Sydney-Queenstown in an Air NZ 737, not in the cockpit, just upfront. Circling Lake Wakatipu before landing is spectacular, surrounded by snow laden mountains. A lake trip on the coal fired steamer SS Earnslaw is equally memorable.

The approach over the lake is the easy one. The amqzing one is coming in the other way, up against the mountains. The approach in a continuing twisting and turning around the bowl on the mountains all the way down to the runway. It used to be that this approach could not be attempted unless when the plane was several thousand feet up over the tops of the surrounding mountains the approach path was had good visibility all the way down to the runway. If it didn't the plane had to divert.

Today with RNP, the same twisting, turning approach can be made all the way down to just over 200 feet feet above the threshold of the runway in zero visibility until the decision height is reached. On autopilot. Very impressive experience to fly it that way.

I was living in the south island a few years ago when a Jet Blue pilot took off at dusk and some passengers thought they were going to die. He was charged in court, and it was in the news for months. I think he was ultimately acquited, but there was lots of public discussion about the challenges of flying big planes in and out of there.

Last edited:
... a few years ago when a Jet Blue pilot took off at dusk and some passengers thought they were going to die.... there was lots of public discussion about the challenges of flying big planes in and out of there.
"big plane" there probably means 737(the man of many names may have a contrarian opinion). Coming in you fly over snow capped mountains, and then among them.
PS. On Air NZ, never use the word "Erebus".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom