Piece of Trivia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Budds Outlet

I picked up a piece of trivia yesterday. I learned the meaning of the phrase "going balls out". Who else caught that?

Yes indeed Mr. Firefly, move to the head of the class. On Modern Marvels it was expalined by none other than Jay Leno to be the governor on a steam engine.

Last edited:
I learned something from the Sunday Funnies yesterday. Unlike cars, trucks and trains use power to deactivate their brakes. Now I understand why you occasionally see those semi skidmarks that go on and on...lost air pressure to keep the brakes off.

And "balls to the wall" are aircraft throttles jammed fully forward for max speed?

I've heard that one too.

"Unlike cars, trucks and trains use power to deactivate their brakes"

Not really.

A coach or large truck has dual chamber brakes , known as "spring brakes".

With about 60# air pressure the spring is held off and any application of the in cab brake tredle will supply graduated air to slow the vehicle.

It takes this air pressure to control the vehicle.

Many OTR trucks have a dash gauge for break line pressure

Should ALL air pressure be lost the spring will actuate and slowly stop the truck/bus.

The spring brakes are only on the rear axle (s) so the stop is not violent.

To tow the truck , either a special tool to cage the springs , or an air line from the tow truck is required to release the springs..

Here's another one:
How would you pronounce "block and tackle"?

The academically correct pronunciation of tackle in this use is "tay-kel" (from memory).

Of course using it this way may expose you to derision, just like using the soft "ji-ga" for the prefix "giga". Kudos to the movie Back to the Future for getting it right with gigajoules

I saw one on the term under my thumb and wrapped around your little finger.

Both come from Falconry.

The jesses or leather straps hanging from the birds legs. Once the bird in no your gauntlet the two jesses are held under the thumb of the gauntlet.
Hence under my thumb.

the reaming length of the jesses are then wrapped around the little finger of the gauntleted hand.

How 's that one.

Sd

Back
Top Bottom