Paypal breaking away from Ebay and going public.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ben2go

Guru
Vessel Name
Shipoopi
Vessel Make
derilic sailboat
I have used Paypal since 2005.Now Ebay is breaking Paypal away and going public next year.How would I invest in this?Local broker?Online?I just have this gut feeling that Alibaba will pick up Paypal as a way to make online transactions.That could possibly make both stocks go up.What do you all think?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebay-spin-off-paypal-adopting-110014208.html

Well, I'm not an insider, but if it is really a true spit and will be managed and run completely separately by its own management its a winner. IMO, PayPal's growth has been hindered by its marriage to ebay.

I have used Paypal since 2005.Now Ebay is breaking Paypal away and going public next year.How would I invest in this?Local broker?Online?I just have this gut feeling that Alibaba will pick up Paypal as a way to make online transactions.That could possibly make both stocks go up.What do you all think?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebay-spin-off-paypal-adopting-110014208.html

Understand for the first several years of their life, Paypal was separate from Ebay.

Now, as to how to invest in an IPO. Very difficult. The shares are placed with an investment bank that then spreads them through a syndicate. They banks in the syndicate then allocate shares. The shares to be sold at the IPO price are typically going to go to very large investors, institutional investors and others whom the syndicate members choose. But the only way they go to small individual investors is if the preferred investors don't want them all.

So then the stock opens on the market. Now, you as an individual want some. Let's take the case where the stock goes up which is normal for the first day. If you put in a purchase order at market then you pay more than the IPO price. If you put in a purchase order at or around the IPO price, you don't get shares.

If the stock goes down and you put in around the IPO price then you get some shares at the price of the other initial investors but they end the day worth less. If you put in at market you still likely pay more than the low point for the day. But who wants stock in a company that drops the first day?

Reactions: Al
Well, I'm not an insider, but if it is really a true spit and will be managed and run completely separately by its own management its a winner. IMO, PayPal's growth has been hindered by its marriage to ebay.

True spit. :lol: Typo.

I agree on the split.I've been a paypal customer since '05 and have never had an issue.They have actually saved my but and recovered my money when a thief was caught selling goods on ebay.I had no idea that I was buying stolen property.I've been a lot more scrutinizing about what I buy on ebay since then.

Understand for the first several years of their life, Paypal was separate from Ebay.

Now, as to how to invest in an IPO. Very difficult. The shares are placed with an investment bank that then spreads them through a syndicate. They banks in the syndicate then allocate shares. The shares to be sold at the IPO price are typically going to go to very large investors, institutional investors and others whom the syndicate members choose. But the only way they go to small individual investors is if the preferred investors don't want them all.

So then the stock opens on the market. Now, you as an individual want some. Let's take the case where the stock goes up which is normal for the first day. If you put in a purchase order at market then you pay more than the IPO price. If you put in a purchase order at or around the IPO price, you don't get shares.

If the stock goes down and you put in around the IPO price then you get some shares at the price of the other initial investors but they end the day worth less. If you put in at market you still likely pay more than the low point for the day. But who wants stock in a company that drops the first day?

Thanks for the explanation.I didn't really understand how those IPO stocks worked.

Back
Top Bottom