Park Bench

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
You are having an evening stroll through the park on a warm fall evening and decide to rest for a while on a bench.

Who would you like to have walk up and sit beside you for a pleasant one hour conversation? Anyone past or present.

Family and religious figures excluded.

I know there are a lot of people who read this forum and never post - this might be a great way of making your first post and letting us know, indirectly, a little bit about yourself!

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. m. What an interesting and thought provoking question. Where does one start? Discounting any language barrier, I suppose WHO one chooses would say more than any topics that might be discussed.

One has to ask oneself to what purpose would one want to chat with any specific person and what level of edification one hoped to achieve?

I do suppose that anyone I might choose would depend on what I think I know about them based on commonly available information about said person which may or may not be correct. I would hate to waste my precious hour talking to someone who did not deserve their reputations.

Greetings,
Mr. m. What an interesting and thought provoking question. Where does one start? Discounting any language barrier, I suppose WHO one chooses would say more than any topics that might be discussed.

One has to ask oneself to what purpose would one want to chat with any specific person and what level of edification one hoped to achieve?

I do suppose that anyone I might choose would depend on what I think I know about them based on commonly available information about said person which may or may not be correct. I would hate to waste my precious hour talking to someone who did not deserve their reputations.

Agreed. When I was working there were training sessions where I was asked who I saw as my "person I would like to meet." After my father I always said Churchill.

I then challenged myself with the above question now that family was excluded. Would I like Churchill to walk up - maybe not because he was pretty egotistical. Einstein? I couldn't even start to hold his attention in a conversation.

So who would I really like to have a conversation with? I feel it should be more of a peer to peer (clearly though me being the less interesting peer) to get more out of it.

Still thinking.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. m. Can one include fictional characters? Sheriff Andy Taylor or perhaps Hercule Poirot?

Greetings,
Mr. m. Can one include fictional characters? Sheriff Andy Taylor or perhaps Hercule Poirot?

No, real people only. Past or present.

Struggling to pick just one?

Or struggling to pick even one? :)

Greetings,
Mr. m. Aw snap! There goes Barbarella.

So many to choose from. Confucius? Julias Caesar (We share the same birthday)? Samuel Clemens? Isaac Asimov? Yup. Struggling to pick just one.

iu

One of the most memorable people I met and conversed with many years ago was a WW2 Vet. He wasn't pretentious, nor was he bitter about life. Just a guy who made it back home from hell....and very grateful. Married his hometown sweetheart, had several kids, lots of grandkids and even more great grandkids.
But could describe what happened as a youth in a far off war as though it was yesterday.
And yes, he could tell you the names and history of every friend he lost during a few precious years in that far off place.
It was a different time, less we forget.
Cheers

I could name many, but I'll just go with Sir Robert Peel.

He served two stints at Prime Minister, during one he helped pass some of the first child labor laws in Britain at the beginning of the industrial age (actually putting caps on how much both young children and women could work in factors where there had been none) and later formed the London Metropolitan Police. His work in that arena was so well thought out that his core principles still stand today as the basic model today for how police should operate (derive their authority from the people they police).

It would be a very interesting hour.

I'd like to spend some time with an old co-worker. He was the "custodian" at a motorcycle shop where we both worked, and had been there since it opened. One of the most dedicated and lovable people I've ever known. He was a reasonably high functioning man with Down's syndrome, and his world view was a bit less expansive than my own. He had an absolute commitment to perfection in everything he did, and was protectively possessive about his duties. He didn't like anybody to try to help him, as he felt it reflected on his own abilities to perform a task. Heck, I even had to ask permission to make a fresh pot of coffee when I first started working there, as that was one of his jobs.

Anyway, I learned more about work ethic, compassion and humanity from that wonderful man than anybody else in my adult life.

Samuel Clemens or H.L. Mencken. Heck, I'd like to just sit in and listen to their conversation with each other.

I could name many, but I'll just go with Sir Robert Peel.

He served two stints at Prime Minister, during one he helped pass some of the first child labor laws in Britain at the beginning of the industrial age (actually putting caps on how much both young children and women could work in factors where there had been none) and later formed the London Metropolitan Police. His work in that arena was so well thought out that his core principles still stand today as the basic model today for how police should operate (derive their authority from the people they police).

It would be a very interesting hour.

Which is why policemen in the UK have the nicknames Bobbies or Peelers!

I'd like to spend some time with an old co-worker. He was the "custodian" at a motorcycle shop where we both worked, and had been there since it opened. One of the most dedicated and lovable people I've ever known. He was a reasonably high functioning man with Down's syndrome, and his world view was a bit less expansive than my own. He had an absolute commitment to perfection in everything he did, and was protectively possessive about his duties. He didn't like anybody to try to help him, as he felt it reflected on his own abilities to perform a task. Heck, I even had to ask permission to make a fresh pot of coffee when I first started working there, as that was one of his jobs.

Anyway, I learned more about work ethic, compassion and humanity from that wonderful man than anybody else in my adult life.

That's really neat. I wonder if you would like to have more conversation with him as he was, or now as a fully functioning man who remembers how he was and felt from back then?

Robin Williams.

I suspect it might not be much of a two way conversation, and I don't think I would ever ask why. But maybe before he got up to walk away I would have more of an insight into the person and people.

Benjamin Franklin.

For a living person it would be Cokie Roberts.

Greetings,
Mr. m. Along the same lines as Robin Williams, George Carlin. That man verbalized my outlook on life, in a lot of ways...

I've heard it said that behind every cynic is a disappointed idealist.

Greetings,
Mr. m. Along the same lines as Robin Williams, George Carlin. That man verbalized my outlook on life, in a lot of ways...

I've heard it said that behind every cynic is a disappointed idealist.

Wifey B: Can't believe you're being disloyal to your avatar. :eek:

Ours is easy and since there are two of us we get to choose a couple. We had a brief time once but only for a focused discussion, not wide and free flowing. However, this would involve no discussion at all about their lives before retirement, all about life since then.

Bill and Melinda Gates.

Neil Armstrong. I heard him speak once and it was fascinating. I don’t think he gets the credit he deserves for being smart. He had a Masters in Aeronautical Engineering and was a college professor. That’s on top of being a world class fighter pilot.

One of the most memorable people I met and conversed with many years ago was a WW2 Vet. He wasn't pretentious, nor was he bitter about life. Just a guy who made it back home from hell....and very grateful. Married his hometown sweetheart, had several kids, lots of grandkids and even more great grandkids.
But could describe what happened as a youth in a far off war as though it was yesterday.
And yes, he could tell you the names and history of every friend he lost during a few precious years in that far off place.
It was a different time, less we forget.
Cheers

Some of the best lessons about life, war, and peace come from those who had war thrust upon them. Most of them are gone now...

Greetings,
Ms. WB. "... disloyal to your avatar." I DID think about it BUT I talk to myself constantly. I seldom listen...

200.webp

Enzo

Attachments

• 51dxmrbWsdL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    51dxmrbWsdL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
We have a thing about park benches that overlook water. We have hundreds of photos and watercolours done by Sharon of benches we have encountered between Duluth MN and Antigua.

We have a little ritual in that we must sit on the bench have a chat and a kiss before it is photographed.

I can think of no one I would rather chat with on a bench than my Amazin' Sharon.

Attachments

• Park benches.jpg
    Park benches.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 53
We have a thing about park benches that overlook water. We have hundreds of photos and watercolours done by Sharon of benches we have encountered between Duluth MN and Antigua.

We have a little ritual in that we must sit on the bench have a chat and a kiss before it is photographed.

I can think of no one I would rather chat with on a bench than my Amazin' Sharon.

Neat!!

But...

No family! :)

If I could find myself sitting on a park bench, late fall, on a beautiful evening I would like to see me, myself, walking up and sitting down. I would then ask myself " What took you SO long to get here." Moral: Don't take too long to sit and enjoy the fall evenings of your life.

Benjamin Franklin.

For a living person it would be Cokie Roberts.

I spoke a couple days too soon. I am very saddened by Cokie Roberts death. I have been listening to her for 40 years. One of my secret fantasies has been how wonderful it would be to sit down and have a cup of coffee with her. RIP Cokie.

Lido "Lee" Iacocca

If I could pick two it would be Lee and Hank the Duce. Just not on the same bench at the same time.

Atticus Finch

Hello, I’m dan. No boat at this moment but a great passion for all of them. Life took me away from the sea, I’m in Alberta, Canada. Reading about boats, engines and navigation as well as watching videos about them is a good compensation for now.
I’d love to sit with Damien and Jess, an Australian couple refitting their steel trawler (love steel trawlers!). They have an amazing you tube channel with all the work their are doing called “Project Brupeg” https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq9WQmB1GqfhPKkKFvFkY4A
Trawler Forum is a great place to read, but I’m shy for posting too much. This was a nice invitation, thank you!

Fascinating topic, menzies!

There have been many good choices. Admittedly, I'm torn between Samuel Clemons and Albert Einstein. Einstein, not because I'm arrogant enough to think we're intellectual equals, but because he was well-known for being playful and seeing life a little differently. Either would make for an entertaining hour in a beautiful setting.

John

What a great story! Good call, Ed.

Back
Top Bottom