Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Inland NW
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
OTDE: experiment fail

About two years ago we opened the OTDE forum as an extension of the harbor chat area. It was intended to isolate the most vitriolic and polarizing posts we had; those concerning politics, religion and gun rights. Folks were asked to opt in to participate and since that time we have stayed mostly hands off in that topic area.

Over the past months we've watched in dismay as topics went from simple crude humor to outright hate speech and the rancor engendered in that section of the forum has washed out onto the public forums and continues to be divisive and offensive to many. We have had many, many requests for closure.

No part of OTDE lines up with our site guidelines or the intent or spirit of the community:

Quote:
Be Courteous!
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our philosophy is that we want TrawlerForum to be an online reflection of the boating community. Treat each other with respect just as you would on the water.
  • Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.
Effective immediately OTDE will be closed. We are a forum about boating and we share an interest in boating commonly. Let's focus on the things we have in common rather than on that which divides us.

There are plenty of excellent places on the internet to discuss politics, gun rights, the merits of various body parts and which flavor of religion is the true way but we are a boating board. Let's stick to trawler related topics - it's what we do best and the interest we hold in common.

Thanks for understanding.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Old 10-30-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
👍🏻
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 10-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Really your closing it down before I could find it? Now I have nothing to chase down except how to get a shine on boat like Ted’s Very Slow Hand.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Really your closing it down before I could find it? Now I have nothing to chase down except how to get a shine on boat like Tedís Very Slow Hand.
You didn't miss much!!! And you can always buy a new boat to get that shine!...
Old 10-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
LIAR, LIAR.
Baker there is no way my boat, when new, every shined like Ted’s.

See you in Ft. Pierce with a Flor de Cana.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Guru

This should make the snowflakes happy, another win for PC another loss for free speech. What a shame.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
LIAR, LIAR.

See you in Ft. Pierce with a Flor de Cana.
Looking forward to it!!!
Old 10-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Vanilla rules in TF!
Old 10-30-2018, 07:10 PM   #10
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. ancora. The term "snowflake" might not be appreciated in this forum. The former denizens of OTDE will have to behave now. I look forward to your, I'm sure, valuable contributions.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Inland NW
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
This should make the snowflakes happy, another win for PC another loss for free speech. What a shame.
You do indeed have a right to free speech. The first amendment right reads as follows:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
This was designed to protect the liberties of individuals in the face of oppressive government that would seek to silence opinion in its own self-interest.

Trawler forum is a PRIVATE entity and the first amendment does not protect what you say—only your right to do so.

This means that you can say what you choose, but we may choose not to publish it. You can say what you want but may need to find another way to publish it. The forum has rules and while it's understandable that you are upset, this change is not personal and not aimed at you or any single individual. Posts need to meet the standard for publication at this site.

This change is made after trying something that ultimately wasn't in the best interest of the community.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Thanks. Now we can get back to talking about boats :-)
Old 10-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #13
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Thanks. Now we can get back to talking about boats :-)
And what caliber semi auto works best to protect them.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:15 PM   #14
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Janet, I think you made the right call and explained the rationale very clearly. Any posters we lose just because they canít lob grenades on a TF-supported forum will be, IMHO, no great loss and perhaps there will be less incivility via cross-contamination to drive away new posters.

<signed> one of the snowflakes
Old 10-30-2018, 09:11 PM   #15
Enigma

Greetings,

Mr. 99. Re: post #14. I'm still heeerreee....Bwahahaha...

Old 10-30-2018, 09:35 PM   #16
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Mule the true "Leftest"will be disappointed as well shocked to be shut down so by his "Left Leaning" peers.

It is what it is, now I can focus on the closing down the Southern Border!!

All in good spirits and good well to all.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
And what caliber semi auto works best to protect them.

1/2" chain. And a Maxwell with automatic retrieve and deploy. That protects my trawler quite nicely.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:02 PM   #18
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
1/2" chain. And a Maxwell with automatic retrieve and deploy. That protects my trawler quite nicely.
Well, you sound like a possible customer for my Anchor Cannon (pat. pend.). Kind of like a mortar, it fires the anchor, plus 200 feet of chain at evil doers. Needless to say, Rocnas suck in this application. Chain gets wrapped around the roll bar.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:08 PM   #19
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
My only regret is the I never went on that site. I would have liked to have judged for myself, but I am nevertheless, content.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:15 AM   #20
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Time to amend my welcome to the TF forum post, me thinks:

Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Welcome aboard the good ship TF.

Good afternoon, I'm the duty hospitality officer and I will show you around the ship. Follow me please.

On the port side is the engine room, the crew in this area speak in a strange dialect not often understood by the rest of the crew, they tend to be highly skilled and are not considered to be dangerous, although occasionally there will be a dispute about how best to configure the centrifugal capacitor for the main shaft( the MK 1 not the MK2 ).

Next to the engine room on the starboard side, the extreme starboard, is a door that you are not permitted to enter without a senior officer present.Take note of the sign on the door 'OTDE enter at your peril'. Crew have been seen to enter and never be seen again. You will notice that the door is on a watertight bulkhead, this is to protect the rest of the crew. I don't know exactly what they do in there, but rumours have it that they are connected to the navigation of the ship. The charts show stormy waters with the Obama shoals on the port side and with the neocon rip to starboard, it's full of icebergs, which some say are getting smaller. Sometime you will see this crew looking back over the stern of the ship, rumour has it they want us to turn around and go back.

At the forward end of the ship is a small but dedicated crew waiting for the order to drop anchor. They are considered to be entirely harmless and you are free to spend some time with them. However, it's better not to mention too much about anchors, as this just encourages them. The only slight issues this crew has is which is the best anchor to use, although they seem to have every anchor known to man, and then some.

Please follow me to the galley and officers mess. Some say this is the true reason the ship was built in the first place. The members of the ward room are a jolly lot, and as long as supplies are in, it's a good place to congregate. There has only been one instance of unpleasantness recently, a member of the mess had a picture of his empty fridge posted on our bulletin board, this caused great consternation through the normally placid crew. A board of enquiry may be convened.

The small group you see on the upper deck, sitting with their feet on the rail and beer in hand are the Oz east coast crew. That lot are so laid back it's a wonder they don't fall overboard. They are by nature members of the officers mess.

Slightly astern of them are the wood craft and screwdriver brigade, they also incorporate the flush em' away crew. These tend to be ex boy scouts and girl guides who like things neat and tidy, and working properly. They are safe to mingle with and give you good advice just like your mother did. They are nominally led by the senior female officer of the ship.

Last but not least is the bridge. The captain and senior officers pretty much let the ship steam it's own course, dodging those melting icebergs, with the occasional court of enquiry if required. They allow no flogging on board, despite hints from some of the OTDE crew. The good ship TF charts her course somewhere between Gilligan's Island and HMS Surprise(Mater & Commander)

Welcome aboard

Closed Thread