Old 12-31-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
VW cam belt broke

Was thinking since it broke while starting cold and only did one or two power strokes the pistons may be OK. And I could just replace the head w a wrecking yard head or fix the old.
From what I’ve read on internet forums the odds of that being a go are really low. Makes sense as the speed of the pistons and valves probably aren’t an issue. But the clearence is and also I’ve cranked it a bit since too. My mechanic said to take out the plugs and crank it w my thumb on the hole. Could that be dangerous? I’m not eager to do that.

I’ve been on CL and see there’s lots of VW’s, Volvo’s, T Marrix’s and Honda Fit’s. She wants a hatch and uses her car like a truck. Big time gardener.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I've got a VW diesel and that will for sho crunch the valves if belt breaks. But somewhere I read that the 2.0 gasser won't crunch valves. The turbo gasser will. Just don't know for sure.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #3

City: North NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
With your thumb on the hole its only going to be pressure out. It will not suck your thumb in if there's compression but you may still feel pressure even if there's valve damage. What motor is it and year and make? As ski said some are interference motors and some are not. Many with a timing belt are not interference motors. Best to check with a compression guage if it holds up.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Pull the head. See which valves are bent. Just replace the bent ones and put it back together.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
It’s not a 2.0. They have a terrible rep. Won’t get near them.
The Golf is a 1.8 turbo. Year 2000. Car just barely broke 100k mi.

tiltrider1,
That’s what I thought. But I’m afraid of wasting my time. I could push and shove it into the garage and het some heat. With bent valves wouldn’t the guides be damaged?

Towlou,
I would think that my thumb may get sucked IN. Intake stroke and both valves should be closed. And w a decending piston ....

Ski,
I’m quite sure it’s an interference engine.

All,
But again the 5cyl Rabbit is attractive. Black just like her Golf, stick, looks about the same (a bit more aerodynamic) and only $2.5k.
Hope to get the Toyota Sienna on the road first. Will take it in tuesday.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #6

City: North NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Pull the head if you have a machine shop near by. Sure is a interference motor the 1.8T. Good luck.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
Guru

City: Trenton
I've never broken a timing belt but I put a timing belt one notch off on a Fiat. You are supposed to hand crank the engine (especially interference fit engines) to be sure you have got it right before you start it up. Well I was in a hurry and had replaced the belt several times before with no problems so I just let'er rip.

I can tell you the engine runs for less than a second and stops. It is very quiet and smooth just like the boat anchor it has become. Bent valves and broken guides all through the head. Had to pull the head and have a machine shop sort it all out. Once I got it back together it never ran quietly. Could never get the valve lash set correctly using those stupid spacers. Sounded like a diesel but ran OK. Put on another 100K miles over several years and several belts with no problems.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote