Is this OK with you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wifey B: Can a single one of you state why you refer to a boat as a she? :rolleyes:
Can you think of one reason for chivalry?
All it did was delay women's rights.....

Except being it's being polite and I continue to choose to act that way after many decades of women giving me a hard time about it.

TS.... I dance to a higher standard. :)

Greetings,
Mr. ps. "Except being it's being polite..." No matter how many dirty looks I get I'm STILL going to hold a door open for ANY man, woman and/or child. Doesn't cost a thing to be polite and chivalrous. Ah. I also remove my hat if a woman and I happen to share an elevator.

Greetings,
Mr. ps. "Except being it's being polite..." No matter how many dirty looks I get I'm STILL going to hold a door open for ANY man, woman and/or child. Doesn't cost a thing to be polite and chivalrous. Ah. I also remove my hat if a woman and I happen to share an elevator.
There are many things in life that don't make sense to the average person.

To a few, there is a code / rule of life that supercedes all else. In the end, respect for those that live by that code and try to meet it throughout life is very gratifying.

Can you think of one reason for chivalry?
All it did was delay women's rights.....

Except being it's being polite and I continue to choose to act that way after many decades of women giving me a hard time about it.

TS.... I dance to a higher standard. :)

Wifey B: I think one should be polite to all people. I think circumstances dictate. I probably hold as many doors for men as men do for me. One old custom some of you may observe but we don't is man opening car door for woman. We find it unnecessary and consumes extra time. Now, in a period in which car doors were more challenging, perhaps. Now, I still do appreciate "ladies first" but then I put children before ladies and elderly before them also.

I don't see polite social behavior at all as connected to equal pay for equal work or equal job opportunity. Hubby is from the business world where equality was difficult to find and he was always an activist toward equal opportunity for women and minorities. I worked in a profession where pay was the same regardless. However, long before my time working, the lack of opportunities for females in other professions did lead to teaching being female dominated.

I still appreciate when men are courteous and don't see it at all as an affront to equal rights. Was just curious as to whether those so adamant over calling boats "she" actually knew why they did so. I suspect the primary reason is simply "have always done it that way." If you like doing so, I don't care. I've never done so.

I did a poll of 10-12 year olds just to see what they'd say. They were overwhelming for "it" as they didn't see anything distinctively tying a boat to either sex. Most specifically a couple of them cited lack of any body parts. Now then hubby pulled out some pictures of boats. Then a couple were considered "he" and a couple "she" based on styling or type boat. None of it answers anything, but just found it interesting but most of the group stuck to their "it." :)

I don't in any way though see "she" or "it" on a sign as being major one way or the other. It's not really that important to me. I think whoever defaced the display was wrong and overreacted and I think those attacking the museum over the change are also overreacting. It's a pronoun. I feel an Allen Iverson moment coming on. Pronouns. Pronouns. We're talking about Pronouns. What are we talking about? We're talking about pronouns, man. :lol:

Wifey B: And for the record, I find nothing disrespectful about calling a boat a "she", an "it" or a "he." :)

One final thought on the museum.
While it may be wishful thinking, I expect a museum to be accurate to history. In an era when ships were referred to as she, I think it's correct to refer to those that way, maybe with a footnote. The rewriting of history based on the standards of the current time or whims of PC, drives me crazy.

Ted

You asked 10-12 year olds? Well that settles it then!!

Please also ask them how late they should be allowed to stay up at night. Ask them if they should be allowed to watch anything they want on tv.

Last edited:
giphy.webp

Greetings,
These days doing that risks being called a "white/black/whatever sexist pig",but it`s good to be true to beliefs centered around human decency.

I have to call BS on the door thing.

I hold the door open for everyone, everywhere. The convenience store, the supermarket, the doctor's office, the gate to a marina, etc. etc. I have NEVER had anyone do anything other that acknowledge it with a thanks or a nod.

And many others do it for myself and missus.

Many stores have a bit of a lobby (probably for AC reasons), with two doors, if I have held the first the other person usually holds the second and vice versa.

Let's actually report what we see happening rather than what we "think" or "believe" people might do.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. Perhaps but....

200w.webp

Mr. m. Not total BS. I have had an occasion where a young woman said to me "I can hold my own door" but I it's about 70/30 whether anyone acknowledges my holding a door for them. I don't care. I'm doing it any way...

Last edited:
Never ever had anyone say anything negative to me - even young men.

It is even a habit when I am entering a building and someone is clearly coming behind me that I open the door and wait to let them in first - even though they may be 10-15 seconds away.

I would go further and say I have never ever heard anything negative being said between others in my 60 plus years.

Personally I wonder how a society can continue when we cater to the lowest common denominator, the unending victims of their own fantasy?

I remember once or twice decades ago in the militant feminist era, getting the "I can open my own door " comments. I'm sure I smiled and held it open anyway.

What's more telling is that now many are surprised by the courtesy, but all are truly appreciative.

Ted

Personally I wonder how a society can continue when we cater to the lowest common denominator, the unending victims of their own fantasy?

Oldies said the same thing when they saw Elvis on TV!

Greetings,
Mr. BK. Perhaps but....

200w.webp

Mr. m. Not total BS. I have had an occasion where a young woman said to me "I can hold my own door" but I it's about 70/30 whether anyone acknowledges my holding a door for them. I don't care. I'm doing it any way...
It started in my life in 1973. Had a fellow college student say she had 2 perfectly good legs to stand on when I offered her my bus seat.

Heck lately it seems like many people today let the door slam in your face or don't even acknowledge you when you hld the door for them. I agree 70/30 might be on the money.

Heck even n my walks it's hard to get the majority to make eye contact and nod/say hello.

BS? Let's see where that one goes. :)

Last edited:
Think grammatical gender as used in modern German. Adjective/noun agreement. Dates to old English. Why? Who knows.

No, it's not ok to go into a museum and deface displays because of your social/mental maladjustments or hurt feelings or whatever this is.

Then, like Lloyds, the powers at be caved and changed the convention.

"Strange" is a nice way to put. I have stronger words that are unacceptable to the forum.

"Strange" is a nice way to put. I have stronger words that are unacceptable to the forum."

Your Dad probably called it FUBAR!

Yep. Very apt, Fred.

Guess I'll go by the marina on the way to work this morning and see how it is doing. What infantile BS!

Just because a museum chooses to do it doesn't mean you all have to.

If you all want to continue the tradition of calling boats 'she," go ahead, no one us going to stop you.

Just because a museum chooses to do it doesn't mean you all have to.

If you all want to continue the tradition of calling boats 'she," go ahead, no one us going to stop you.

The point is, there are plenty of people who will, as soon as they figure out a way to do it.

1984 was supposed to be a warning, not a how-to manual.

Wifey B: I object to the defacing, regardless. That's a separate issue then the museum making the change. :ermm:

I agree. .....

I suppose that there will be less of a problem for languages with multiple articles depending on the "sex" of the object/entity such as die, der and das in German; Is "window" masculine, feminine, or neither?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom