Now is the time to act, we can all do something good!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My dinghy is electric. There, I’m doing my part.

Yes - I've also made numerous visits to China, and without a doubt there is plenty of visible smoke & smog which cause local health issues.

In most cases high levels of PM10's do not have an effect on global climate change except in very dramatic circumstances such as a massive volcanic eruption. In that case it tends to cause cooling. It is the invisible gases such as CO2 and methane that are causing the global damage.

Actually, in China, PM10s have a strong correlation to burning wood and then air borne C and N compounds. Or so says the government releases as they clamp down (or not) on open fires for cooking and fires for heating.

P articulate M atter encompasses a far reaching list of things including soot, ash and aerosols from burning wood.

"Don't believe everything that you think."

To keep it's "Green Marina" designation, our yacht club has eliminated plastic drinkin' straws and has gone over to paper straws that are worthless. The Sicilian and I are havin' lunch there today and we're sneakin' in plastic straws. Don't know if we will be patted down at the door or what the punishment will be...

Actually, in China, PM10s have a strong correlation to burning wood and then air borne C and N compounds. Or so says the government releases as they clamp down (or not) on open fires for cooking and fires for heating.

P articulate M atter encompasses a far reaching list of things including soot, ash and aerosols from burning wood.
More "proof" that one set of "facts" counteracts another set of "facts". This is why I don't get too excited about the attempts to paint everything as a catastrophic calamity. I remember back in the 70's, the big fear was the coming ice age! LOL.

To keep it's "Green Marina" designation, our yacht club has eliminated plastic drinkin' straws and has gone over to paper straws that are worthless. The Sicilian and I are havin' lunch there today and we're sneakin' in plastic straws. Don't know if we will be patted down at the door or what the punishment will be...

I've heard, handing an illegal alien a plastic straw in California and then turning him over to local law enforcement, will get him automatically deported. Think I'll buy a box and do my civic duty. ;)

Ted

I have to admit this thread has touched me. Now slowing my "sky trawler" down to 550.

Attachments

• gulfstream.JPG
    gulfstream.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 34
Judging by what I'm reading here, everyone on this thread is "touched."

Oh. Wait...:angel:

Those that read "Two Years Before the Mast" know that when written in about 1850 the locals in LA basin would cross as much of the valley as they could ,in as short a time as they could BAD AIR , was the reason, even then.

Perhaps if LA was simply relocated their air problems would be no more.

After relocation the failing water system would be replaced , so the politicos babble about global warming being the source of water shortages would cease.

I have to admit this thread has touched me. Now slowing my "sky trawler" down to 550.

Just Bob,

That's a neat plane and a real long ranger. If you're flying around in one of those, you've done well.

My sky trawler is 1/3rd the speed and 8 times more efficient.... doing my part.

I don't know anyone who does not believe in climate change....spring changes to summer, summer changes to fall, fall changes to winter.:rofl:

Yep, even I, a climate change denier who according to the likes of Bill Nye "Science Guy", (who is not a scientist by the way), should be incarcerated, agree with that. LOL.

I switched to stainless straws a few years ago. No, not for environmental reasons but because I prefer a straw. Plastic ones get tea stained and cannot be cleaned. So I switched to a permanent solution.

Then, with the advent of the microwave I switched again. Now I have glass straws. They too can be cleaned and go straight into the microwave when I'm making tea, coffee or hot cocoa. That's easier than removing the straw before reheating.

CupInStarTrekMug.jpg

The whole straws thing, and plastic bags... well, I Prefer plastic bags for taking trash to shore. Yet I bring and use fabric bags for toting the new items home.

Walmart sells fabric grocery bags (real fabric/a light weight canvas) for $4 to $4.50. They aren't the best quality however I'm still using the original bags. They are sturdy and after two years, I am pleased with my investment.

Before getting underway I would suggest folks purchase a few bags. They do make hauling groceries much easier. Lighter weight versus Heavy Duty is more practical. Anything that would handle Heavy items would most likely be too heavy for me to carry.

Really have to be careful with reusable bags for groceries. Problem stems from leaking packaging such as meat dripping into bag bottom and then becoming breeding ground. On your next trip, unwrapped foods such as vegetables get contaminated. I like the idea of reusable bags, but they need to be cleaned and sanitized.

Ted

Really have to be careful with reusable bags for groceries. Problem stems from leaking packaging such as meat dripping into bag bottom and then becoming breeding ground. On your next trip, unwrapped foods such as vegetables get contaminated. I like the idea of reusable bags, but they need to be cleaned and sanitized.

Thanks Cap'n Ted. That is indeed a not important reminder. Thank you.

Ted

For the reasons he mentions, we do not use reusable bags for groceries. With the level of food issues we're currently seeing from E-Coli to Salmonella to Listeria, just not an additional risk we undertake.

Now, the vast majority of our groceries get delivered in crates with no bags of any sort.

The plastic straw thing went well, even after the Sicilian passed the straws to the other people at our table of ten. No repercussions yet.:eek:

We like reusable bags for groceries, never had an issue and much easier to carry. For meat and fish, just add a plastic bag and no issue. Have never cleaned my bags, but just throw them out when they get bad. Get 100s of them at conventions and trade shows.

As for straws... never used them, feel that they are a waste of time. Drink straight from the glass.

:).hi every one,

Co2 emissions are too much for the planet if each of us Trawler Forum members decide to run 0.5 kn slower throughout the year 2019 CO2 load can be significant from the point of view of the whole, although this cannot save the racket, whether it is too much of a request from you. I don't have, besides, you can save money, is it dirty to think green for the future?

Would it be great to do our part in this matter, in a small matter that can be a big thing for the whole Trawler forum members to participate in this goal.

NBs

I only have 18hp so I'm doing something, the truth is we can't continue using fossil fuels and petrochemicals no matter how many excuses and errant explanations are made. Is the joy of simply living so uninspiring that we actually need to artificially entertain ourselves with toys? Wait until you encounter your last breaths before answering that.

LOL, if you cant ride the range, stay out of the kitchen! Just asked a question is all. Must have struck a nerve.. "fragile, childish, idiocy, threatened". Your words. You go be all you can be man...
Doesn`t get any better, does it?
You posted earlier,another thread I think (can`t be bothered looking for it),that the posts of some others made you "want to puke". Please do, it might remove some of the bile that sullies your posting.

I've already done my part by going from 8 nautical miles per minute in a Learjet 60 to 8 nautical miles per hour in a Californian 34 LRC.

Unfortunately, my MPG is still about 2.1 MPG in both cases, but I have a WHOLE lot more fun in my boat with the engines off than I ever had in the Learjet. It's the perfect pilot retirement passion. Can't imagine retirement without it...

I considered my impact when I bought my boat with a fuel burn of 3 litres/hour (0.75 gal/hr). Motor sailing brings fuel burn down to about 2 litres (0.5 gallons)/hour. I'll make the effort to use the sail more often and won't have to slow down.

One persons impact is minuscule but when you multiply that by 8 billion, it is very significant. Especially when most of us are in the top 1% of CO2 producers worldwide due to our lifestyle.

I get tired hearing, "but what about them". It's a bit like saying its ok to beat your dog because others are doing it more.

Well stated.

Ted

That's interesting, I am currently under going Chemotherapy, low immunity, so will make sure all reusable bags are sprayed with Glenn 20 to sterilize.

"but I have a WHOLE lot more fun in my boat with the engines off than I ever had in the Learjet."

The Learjet with engines off can be loads of fun too.

Maintain the correct airspeed , High Key ., Low key ,gear down & flair.

Call for a tug to taxi! Change skivvies!!!

One question comes up with a plastic ban.
Many eateries do not , and can not obtain "proper" plate and silverware washing.
They serve on plastic with plastic knives , forks etc.

Do we put a few hundred thousand eating places out of business for a Hoax?

You are right, Dave.

What you failed to mention, is that the natural world has developed a balance over hundreds of millions of years. CO2 is released and absorbed naturally in large amounts. The CO2 level in the atmospheric goes up and down but has a natural balance.

The natural cycle takes between 5000 and 20,000 year to increase the CO2 level by 100 ppm. The changes we have made have caused a 100 ppm increase in 120 years. This is not normal.

That last statement presumes we have the ability to measure atmospheric CO2 levels thousands of years ago with precision to ppm via surrogate measures. You'd have about the same accuracy of results examining the entrails of birds to figure out what was going on in the Juassic.

I hate it when scientists make stuff up and spoil all the fun, thank goodness we have clearer and more open minds to keep the issue on track.

Last edited:
Greetings,
I am in full agreement with this section of Mr. s's statement in post #44. "... and that money would be much better spent on eliminating disease, hunger, poverty, illiteracy, pollution, overfishing of the oceans, or any of the hundreds of other ways mankind is destroying this beautiful planet we live on."

As I've mentioned before, GW is a bit of a red herring IMO that is currently in vogue much to the detriment of all the other ills of the planet (see above) that are MUCH more evident, destructive and obvious and need addressing NOW.

Greetings,
I am in full agreement with this section of Mr. s's statement in post #44. "... and that money would be much better spent on eliminating disease, hunger, poverty, illiteracy, pollution, overfishing of the oceans, or any of the hundreds of other ways mankind is destroying this beautiful planet we live on."

As I've mentioned before, GW is a bit of a red herring IMO that is currently in vogue much to the detriment of all the other ills of the planet (see above) that are MUCH more evident, destructive and obvious and need addressing NOW.

You appear to be confused between detrimental to humans and detrimental to the planet, of the issues you cited only pollution is a long term threat to the planet the others are only detrimental to humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom