Now is the time to act, we can all do something good!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The inconvenient truth is that the real greenhouse gas is water vapor. There is an order of magnitude more of it in the atmosphere than CO2 which is just a trace gas. Have you noticed how cold it gets without cloud cover in the winter? That is a real greenhouse gas - no 100 year models with multiple non-linear variables needed.

Last edited:
The climate cult set forth it's decree...and the sheeple dutifully replied bah!

Am I alone in seeing how incongruent it is to knowingly participate in an activity that is "bad" for the planet...then wave the flag of "Aint it great?...I'm doing less of a bad thing!" Why wouldn't one stop cruising if one truly believes that?

When the eco camel gets his nose under the tent /in your ER, all bets are off. It's really about one group (they just know better don't ya know) yearning to control another - not saving the planet.

Last edited:
As methane is a greenhouse effect gas worse than co2 I choose to stop eating beans, I think just this move will result in at least 1% reduction overall lol

L
Australia thanks you.:D

We're not going to slow down on our boats but we do support engines that meet current standards and we do in our business and personal life take every energy efficient move we can at minimal negative effect. We've reduced the energy consumption in our businesses by 40% since 2014. We also support other programs enthusiastically. We will continue to do so. Doing one's part doesn't have to be painful to individuals or society. In the spirit of this thread, each can find a way to contribute.

We couldn't justify solar in FL but we now have engineers analyzing in SC and looking at the potential even for some schools. We'll see.

My carbon footprint is a tiny, tiny portion of Al Gore's. Al Gore is a so-called environmentalist. (Me in my 1100-square-foot man-cave and less than 2-gallon-per-hour trawler.)

Last edited:
The climate cult set forth it's decree...and the sheeple dutifully replied bah!

Am I alone in seeing how incongruent it is to knowingly participate in an activity that is "bad" for the planet...then wave the flag of "Aint it great?...I'm doing less of a bad thing!" Why wouldn't one stop cruising if one truly believes that?

When the eco camel gets his nose under the tent /in your ER, all bets are off. It's really about one group (they just know better don't ya know) yearning to control another - not saving the planet.

Well said!

In thinking about it, I believe my electrical consumption has probably dropped to less that 40% of what it was 10 years ago. Switching to LED lights, energy efficient washers and dryers, and going to a geothermal heating / cooling system in the Maryland house have made a huge difference. Now to be honest, this wasn't to save the planet, this is part of an ongoing effort to reduce monthly living expenses in preparation for retirement. The goal was to have the same comfort level with reduced operating costs.

Ted

In thinking about it, I believe my electrical consumption has probably dropped to less that 40% of what it was 10 years ago. Switching to LED lights, energy efficient washers and dryers, and going to a geothermal heating / cooling system in the Maryland house have made a huge difference. Now to be honest, this wasn't to save the planet, this is part of an ongoing effort to reduce monthly living expenses in preparation for retirement. The goal was to have the same comfort level with reduced operating costs.

Ted

Well done. The results pay off in many ways.

:).hi every one,

Co2 emissions are too much for the planet if each of us Trawler Forum members decide to run 0.5 kn slower throughout the year 2019 CO2 load can be significant from the point of view of the whole, although this cannot save the racket, whether it is too much of a request from you. I don't have, besides, you can save money, is it dirty to think green for the future?

Would it be great to do our part in this matter, in a small matter that can be a big thing for the whole Trawler forum members to participate in this goal.

NBs

Hi NB,

Your idea is well-intentioned, but I like to call it a distractor.

We make a little sacrifice, we don't notice that the people, industries, governments that do a million times worse every day.

For example, Germany.
By closing it nuclear power plants, they are forced to dig up more coal than ever. i see they have a whole new area to dig up in Europe. Coal, however is one of the worst CO2 emitters, after volcanoes and other natural Earth processes. (that includes the billions in Asia who use charcoal for cooking).:eek:

So, maybe your efforts would be better directed at your fellow EU member Germany??

or while you are on a forum for Trawlers, one sport fisher probably uses the same amount of fuel as ALL the folks on this forum put together. :confused:

Just saying.:dance:

As my mother would say, "you have another think coming"

Co2 emissions are too much for the planet if each of us Trawler Forum members decide to run 0.5 kn slower throughout the year 2019 CO2 load can be significant from the point of view of the whole, although this cannot save the racket, whether it is too much of a request from you. I don't have, besides, you can save money, is it dirty to think green for the future?

Would it be great to do our part in this matter, in a small matter that can be a big thing for the whole Trawler forum members to participate in this goal.

NBs

NBs,

While your intentions are honorable, if your were really serious, you'd give up boating all together. Get rid of your car, truck, motorcycle and ride a bike.

But you couldn't lube your bike as there would be no lube.

You would have to live in a tent, but even that would block the sun from the grass underneath, killing the grass. And you'd have to eat uncooked food. I could go on, but you get the point.

We need to start with the BIG polluters first. Governments and big business. But if you shut down big business, you put people out of work and you loose whatever they supply.... could be power.

So, it will be a long gradual process, aiming for non polluting energy and activities.

For now, Drill, baby, drill!

NBs

If we really cared, we could all get rid of our powerboats and buy sailboats.

NBs

I applaud your concern for nature and the environment, and I share it as well.

But CO2 is not what is causing the global warming we are seeing. Spending time, energy and gobs of money on reducing mankind's contribution to atmospheric CO2 diverts resources from all the other environmental issues that need addressing. For example, deforestation is a huge contributor to climate change. Removing access to cheap fossil fuels to 3rd-world countries will make the effort to stop deforestation even harder.

Wasting limited resources of money and manpower on ineffective programs means there will be fewer resources available to solve the problems that are actually within our power to solve. The trillions of dollars we are and will be spending on eliminating CO2 will not cool the earth in any measurable amount, and that money would be much better spent on eliminating disease, hunger, poverty, illiteracy, pollution, overfishing of the oceans, or any of the hundreds of other ways mankind is destroying this beautiful planet we live on.

I have nothing against slowing down to conserve the use of fuel, but do it in the spirit of conservation of all our natural resources - to save them so that future generations can enjoy them they way we do now.

I've decided to hold my breath for a couple minutes each day, reducing my personal CO2 emissions. Exhaling 2.3 pounds a day adds up, plus I kinda like the dizzy feeling after about a minute!

Signed
Mr. Blue in the Face
PS. maybe we should all try this

Way to go Larry, but four bean burritos can’t come close to our reduction in eating fifteen bean soup. Beat that flatulant foot print.

If we really cared, we could all get rid of our powerboats and buy sailboats.

Not to mention that for those folks who believe over-population is the culprit ... well, there is something they can do about that on a very personal level.

Just 'sayin.

:D

So the thousands of people livin' in homeless encampments are on the cuttin' edge of societal evolution?

Not to mention that for those folks who believe over-population is the culprit ... well, there is something they can do about that on a very personal level.

Just 'sayin.

Yeah, I’m guessing that they aren’t part of the herd that they think needs culling.

Way to go Larry, but four bean burritos can’t come close to our reduction in eating fifteen bean soup. Beat that flatulant foot print.

Mine's just nine beans (all small varieties so it cooks evenly and quicker too)

BeanSoupLunch.jpg

Just 'sayin.

Yeah, I’m guessing that they aren’t part of the herd that they think needs culling.

I was making an objective observation, sorry you couldn't see it for what it was. There likely isn't a man made solution as most every race, religion, or special interest group's theroy for success is based on increasing their numbers. No worries, mother nature will eventually correct the problem, likely without any form of discrimination.

Ted

Yep, love the story of Yellowstone. For decades they were looking for the edges of the volcano caldera, thinking it was around some of the thermal features. Then when the first satellites (think it was Landsat in the early 60's) took some photos - then they OMG realized the caldera covered the whole damn park ie 100 miles across. I'm hoping all of the thermal features are letting the pressure off - but if it ever blows again - well, most think the last blow caused a thousand year frozen earth, as the sun was blocked for so long by the ash flow. But it's so fun to watch Old Faithful :angel:

I suggest planting a few trees each would be more suitable than slowing a slow trawler.

I was making an objective observation, sorry you couldn't see it for what it was. There likely isn't a man made solution as most every race, religion, or special interest group's theroy for success is based on increasing their numbers. No worries, mother nature will eventually correct the problem, likely without any form of discrimination.

Ted

Hi Ted,

I think a man made solution would be to place a screen in space between the sun and earth. The shadow would cool earth until the screen was no longer needed.

Ted
Following "The Malthus Gloomy Theory",that population is ultimately managed by flood pestilence and war, thereby equating the population to the available food supply.
I wonder if Malthus holds good. We`ve done so much to avoid its operation, which in many ways is a good thing, but it affects the natural operation envisaged by Malthus.
For example, medical science sees those born afflicted who otherwise would not, survive, in some cases requiring enormous support to maintain vitality. We`ve found ways to tap the planet harder, to produce goods, services,and food, to maintain and increase population. Much of our economic system depends on ever increasing "economic growth" which has become the economists "holy grail",and is easily achieved by simply increasing demand by increasing the population, in a kind of vicious circle.

Seems we have illuminated a problem here----there is no "real" consensus as to What the problem might be or How to fix it.

Why not solar in FL?

I am just speaking as to South Florida and specifically three counties-Miami Dade, Broward and Palm Beach. Very different climate than northern Florida although the impediments may be much the same. Following are the key factors.

1. Electricity costs in South Florida are less than many would think if you have an energy efficient home or building. We don't have the extremes of heat. For instance nothing like Texas with all their 100 degree days. Our average highs in August are 90 degrees. Areas like Dallas are 96 and 97. This August, we only had one day above 90 and it was 92. Dallas was between 95 and 101 most of the month. They had 16 days of 98 or higher. Then, obviously, we use very little heat during the winter.

2. Solar installation isn't cheap at all and requires detailed planning with approval by FPL.

3. Solar must be connected to the power grid. Now you do benefit from the ability to bill FPL for power generated and used by them, but you also get basic electric charges too.

4. Whereas our roof is rated for 150 mph winds. Now there are codes for solar panels, but they really just mean that they must have enough tie downs and the tie downs not come off, the attachment points survive, but doesn't mean the panels won't have damage. We have tiled roofs and the panels would then be attached to sit a few inches above the tiles. A lot of unanswered questions as to what would happen.

5. We've gotten estimates and calculations. We've also done the same including Powerwalls. The best payback we've gotten so far was 14 years and that was uncertain. I believe the solar industry will continue to improve and better systems will be available. However, even there, the advantage seems to be for the power company to invest in Solar Centers vs homeowners doing so. FPL added 3.5 million panels in the last two years and now uses more solar to produce energy than coal and oil combined. So, I think the way to go has been forced into the power company going to solar, not the homeowner.

6. For our businesses in FL, the payback would be slightly better but we don't own the buildings.

I'll try to minimize purchase of batteries and battery-powered vehicles since their production creates a lot of CO2.

https://www.industryweek.com/techno...cret-manufacturing-them-leaves-massive-carbon

Yep, and unless you crush your old car, it’s going to be bought by someone else and continue to pollute the same as before. If you like sexy technology and can get by with a small car and limited range, go for it, but don’t get all high and mighty about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom