Not exactly surprised by this.

Coast Guard Mostly Saves Very Stupid People, Study Finds

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
True, but they are an IQ Quotient tolerant rescue organization.

They have saved some people who the day before the rescue, had some pretty impressive credentials....

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
MOSTLY saves? Have the USCG been saving pieces of people? "Ya, we got everyone off the sinking vessel...2/3 of the cook, 3/4 of the bos'n and about 85% of the captain and most of the ship's dog."
Mr. 11. I understand perfectly what the blogger is saying but he must have been absent the day his English class learned about misplaced modifiers...

Old 02-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Why save the stupid part of people?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
No surprise there. One only has to look at some of abject stupidity that is displayed on the water each day, and you know a bunch of them won't be able to dodge Mr. Murphy for very long. Put another way, if the average driver on the highway was an inept as the average boater, car insurance would be twice the price.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #6
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
"Think of the average stupid person, then realize that half of them are even more stupid."

"When you're dead, you don't realize it. Stupid is just like that."
Old 02-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
true, but they are an iq quotient tolerant rescue organization.

They have saved some people who the day before the rescue, had some pretty impressive credentials....
👍 👍
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #8
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Ummmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
You know this is fake news, right?

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Take a look at the author:. Squatthrust... One of my favorite exercises
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #10
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Stupid is the norm. I dare someone claim they've never done a stupid thing that risked property, injury, or life.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #11
Guru

City: Boston Area
I think all the advancements we've had in boating are both a blessing and a curse.... The last 25 years has seen such tremendous advancement in electronics, engine reliability and communication that boating has become much more accessible and less intimidating to people.

Just to own a boat you had to be willing to sand, scrape, caulk and paint it. Then to use it, you had to know how to actually plot a course on a paper chart and calculate distance based on your RPM and a stopwatch. (If you were really lucky you might have a radio direction finder to help you out.) You wouldn't dare go past the breakwater without having a spare set of plugs, points and condenser and knowing how to change them all. A barometer, weathervane and "Pink Skies at night....." were the extent of weather information. If you wanted anyting cold to drink you had to buy 10 pound blocks of ice and lug them down to the boat, and a marine head from back in the day makes a port-a-potty seem like a palace. The average Joe just wasn't willing to go through all that.

Now boat manufacturers sell us unsinkable boats with auto pilots, stabilizers and life rafts, We can take a 3 hour boating safety course, electronics tell as where we are at all times, ePirbs will call for help and Sea-Tow will come drag us home if we need it. If it all goes bad, a lawyer will tell you ( or your next of kin) that it wasn't your fault and will sue the responsible party.

I'm not bemoaning the advancements like some sort of troglodite, but there are unintended consequences to everything, and making boating safer has opened the sport up to more people.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:06 AM   #12
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I think all the advancements we've had in boating are both a blessing and a curse.... The last 25 years has seen such tremendous advancement in electronics, engine reliability and communication that boating has become much more accessible and less intimidating to people.

Just to own a boat you had to be willing to sand, scrape, caulk and paint it. Then to use it, you had to know how to actually plot a course on a paper chart and calculate distance based on your RPM and a stopwatch. (If you were really lucky you might have a radio direction finder to help you out.) You wouldn't dare go past the breakwater without having a spare set of plugs, points and condenser and knowing how to change them all. A barometer, weathervane and "Pink Skies at night....." were the extent of weather information. If you wanted anyting cold to drink you had to buy 10 pound blocks of ice and lug them down to the boat, and a marine head from back in the day makes a port-a-potty seem like a palace. The average Joe just wasn't willing to go through all that.

Now boat manufacturers sell us unsinkable boats with auto pilots, stabilizers and life rafts, We can take a 3 hour boating safety course, electronics tell as where we are at all times, ePirbs will call for help and Sea-Tow will come drag us home if we need it. If it all goes bad, a lawyer will tell you ( or your next of kin) that it wasn't your fault and will sue the responsible party.

I'm not bemoaning the advancements like some sort of troglodite, but there are unintended consequences to everything, and making boating safer has opened the sport up to more people.
Humph, a sport aye???

All this time I thought of boating as a lifestyle.

OK. OK... so now, in 2017 it's become a "Sportive Lifestyle"!

Toot, Toot -
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #13
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
LOL, good one, thanks for posting!

Successful humor always has some truth to it

The author was not only a good humorist, but has some real insight into what goes on out there. I dare say the quotes attributed to on-scene SAR unit commanders are exactly what they'd say... off the record.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I can't belive this forum is having a discussion about how stupid OTHER people are. Or did I miss something? And it appears the act of posting on this thread is declaration of being smart.

People do things that look or appear to be stupid because they lack information. Not because they are stupid .. as in lack brains. Some people immerse themselves in an activity (like boating) that requires knowledge and experience so others appear to be stupid that lack this knowledge.

And the stupidest thing one can do is call them out as stupid. That's very stupid indeed. Looking back I see there is at least one good post and I enjoyed Art's comment about "sportive" lifestyle. There's is nothing stupid about Ben's very good post or Gordon J's fake news comment either.

It's hard to belive public servants would make some of the comments in the article linked. Perhaps it was fake news. I can only hope.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #15
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. mb. "It's hard to belive public servants would make..." HAH! I guess you've never worked with public servants. A BIG part of the equation is knowing what you don't know AND admitting it.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #16
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Hey if boating is a sport does that make me an athlete?

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #17
Guru

City: Trenton
Is this a fake forum?
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I can't belive this forum is having a discussion about how stupid OTHER people are. Or did I miss something? And it appears the act of posting on this thread is declaration of being smart.

People do things that look or appear to be stupid because they lack information. Not because they are stupid .. as in lack brains. Some people immerse themselves in an activity (like boating) that requires knowledge and experience so others appear to be stupid that lack this knowledge.

And the stupidest thing one can do is call them out as stupid. That's very stupid indeed. Looking back I see there is at least one good post and I enjoyed Art's comment about "sportive" lifestyle. There's is nothing stupid about Ben's very good post or Gordon J's fake news comment either.

It's hard to belive public servants would make some of the comments in the article linked. Perhaps it was fake news. I can only hope.
Eric, you realize that this is from a parody website, right? It's a joke. Look at some of the other articles...

Mattis signs order formally recognizing Jalapeno cheese spread as currency at all DoD facilities

Army Welcomes Transgendered Military Working Dogs

Air Force to allow average looking, uncool people to become fighter pilots
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #19
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Duffleblog should only be read be active duty or ex-military. There is a certain self-depreciating and sardonic humour that pervades the military, that others just don't get or will find offensive.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #20
Guru

City: Boston Area
I don't condone or encourage stupidity...but I'm perfectly willing to appreciate the entertainment value provided by those that do.

Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote