Need a way to keep a handgun handy at home or on the boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
I've heard stories (unverified, naturally) about people who own guns and keep one or more of them in the house, loaded, and readily available for self defense use. Far be it from me to ever advocate that, or suggest in any way that a person should keep a loaded gun handy in their home, BUT....

If one were ever to want to do that, here's a way to keep one handy and well concealed. I learned many years ago while I was a cop that there are many places where burglars commonly look for handguns in a home....in bedside night stands, in dresser drawers, beneath a bed or between the mattress and box spring, etc.

Well here's a way to conceal a handgun in a place where nobody would think to look for one, and it's still very handy to the owner.
It's real easy to do, easy to make, costs about $2.25 and these are available at most hardware stores or a Home Depot. (You know that orange big box store where boat makers now get their interior cabinetry!).

All you need to make this is a common drawer pull like this. They come in this stainless color, brass, sometimes in black, but the color isn't important. What's important is that it has two screw holes on each end to provide the support necessary to hold the weight of a gun...
img_203915_0_7222b9ed8c9b3780279867ebf0e806a7.jpg

Use a hacksaw and cut one end off, leaving the shaft portion as long as possible. It's shown in this photo balanced on a mounting screw, just for the photo. Polish off the end so it's nice and smooth so it doesn't mess with the lands and grooves in the barrel...
img_203915_1_53d804a204853d1d9449a2468df10241.jpg

Then you mount it to the back of your night stand, under a counter, etc. When I mounted mine, err, I mean when the owner of the weapon in this series of photos mounted his, he mounted it at an angle with the tip of the drawer pull elevated slightly. This holds the gun with the handle up, making it easier to grab. The pull is mounted to the back of the night stand using nuts and bolt, not just the short screws that came with the drawer pull. On this particular gun mount, the owner used a brass color drawer pull and dipped the shaft in black Tool Dip, but I don't think that's really necessary.
img_203915_2_a7d35686383722606f81f27e1e42495f.jpg

Here is the gun mount with a pistol attached to it. You can't tell in this picture but the shaft of the gun mount is upwards at about a 30* angle to make grabbing the gun easier. All you have to do is slide it off the gun mount and it's ready to go...
img_203915_3_47b5c58eae2dd2e365bca699aa7adf5a.jpg

I came up with this idea a couple of years ago and have made several for friends. The silver one in the first couple of pictures is one I'm making for a lady neighbor of ours whose husband just died. I'm going to teach her how to shoot so she'll feel comfortable keeping her gun in the house for protection. One nice thing about this type of mount, aside from the cost, is it can be mounted just about anywhere....beneath a counter in a store or shop, in a vehicle, etc.

If anyone wants to make one of these, feel free to use this design. It's not patented so go for it.

Safer GFC

It's much simpler to just buy a kydex holster, unscrew the holster from the belt clip portion and mount the holster to the side of your bed, behind your nightstand, under the drawer, etc.

You can also buy premade holsters and shotgun racks that have a portion that holds the gun and another portion that slides under your mattress, an option that preserves the wood finish if you have fancy furniture that you want to preserve.

There is even a gun safe that replaces your box spring or platform completely.

The above is true, but this looks like a nice, simple, quick and cost effective means to keep a "ready weapon", as long as there are no small children around. Nice work. Thanks for your prior LEO service, and thanks for posting this. Also, thanks for helping out the neighbor. It's a very rewarding feeling to know that your help may one day save her life:thumb::thumb:.

OD

I have one of those slick biometric handgun safes, a real PITA. This looks like such a better arrangement. KISS!

.............. this looks like a nice, simple, quick and cost effective means to keep a "ready weapon", as long as there are no small children around. Nice work...........

Not just "small" children. My neighbor's sixteen year old son shot his brother with his father's gun. He claimed they were just playing around. The brother lived but it was pure luck. A couple inches either way and he would have died.

You know, something I should have mentioned last night...

Unless you use a vinyl dip coat on the hanger you WILL damage the muzzle and the bore.

I mention that because although you said that you don't feel the "Tool Dip" is necessary, I can assure you that it is.

My first thought when reading the OP's post that this metal handle would/could damage the bore. I know I don't have any vinyl dip around but I'll bet heat shrink might be a better cover and I have a lot of that.

I have a 9mm Glock and I wonder if I could find a handle small enough for that barrel?

MC, the steel in that drawer pull is MUCH softer than the steel in a handgun's barrel. When I cut the end off, it only took about 15 seconds with a hacksaw, so it's VERY soft.

Also, on a self defense handgun where it's most likely to be used at distances of 10 yards or less, any damage that might be done to the muzzle crown and its resultant effect on accuracy would be insignificant. If you were talking about a rifle where shooting distances range out to several hundred yards, then I would be inclined to agree with you. At the distances encountered with handguns I would respectfully disagree.

When I was a cop I also was an armorer, trained by most of the handgun factory schools (S&W, Glock, H&K, Sig, Detonics, etc.). Believe me, if I thought the tool dip might keep the muzzle crown or lands and grooves from being damaged I would have recommended dipping it.

IMO the huge advantage this drawer pull conversion has over the ideas you mentioned is cost. $2 vs how many dollars for any of those holsters? Also, if a person owns a blued handgun and lives in a humid climate it may not be a good idea to store a handgun for months at a time inside a holster where the holster's ability to retain moisture might cause surface rust.

Off Duty, you're most welcome. When I was chasing bad guys I taught numerous Home Firearms Safety courses for women. Then make good students because they don't come to the class with preconceived notions about "I'm a guy, I know how to handle guns!". They come in with the attitude that they don't know anything about guns but want to learn enough to be able to handle and shoot them confidently and competently.

Last edited:
Thanks GFC. I'm going to take my Glock down to Home Depot and try and find a drawer handle that fits.

Not just "small" children. My neighbor's sixteen year old son shot his brother with his father's gun. He claimed they were just playing around. The brother lived but it was pure luck. A couple inches either way and he would have died.

I guess I should have said "anyone" else. Never know when stupid is going to strike.:(

You know, something I should have mentioned last night...
Unless you use a vinyl dip coat on the hanger you WILL damage the muzzle and the bore.
I mention that because although you said that you don't feel the "Tool Dip" is necessary, I can assure you that it is.

It may, but not enough you'll probably ever be able to notice it. Think about the metals used and their hardness. I guess if I was running a high end $$$$$$ weapon, ie: Sig Sauer, etc., I'd probably do it to make "me" feel better. I would think in the event plastic dip wasn't available, electrical tape or "Rescue Tape" would work just fine. We use the latter to form belts, O-rings and such on the rescue boats in an emergency. Lots of use.

...IMO the huge advantage this drawer pull conversion has over the ideas you mentioned is cost. $2 vs how many dollars for any of those holsters? Also, if a person owns a blued handgun and lives in a humid climate it may not be a good idea to store a handgun for months at a time inside a holster where the holster's ability to retain moisture might cause surface rust.

I have seen the result of weapons left inside leather holsters for a prolonged time, and these were in homes and storage units. Add seawater to the mix...:eek:

Off Duty, you're most welcome. When I was chasing bad guys I taught numerous Home Firearms Safety courses for women. Then make good students because they don't come to the class with preconceived notions about "I'm a guy, I know how to handle guns!". They come in with the attitude that they don't know anything about guns but want to learn enough to be able to handle and shoot them confidently and competently.
Absolutely Agree!!
I was on the range this past Sunday doing a basic shotgun course. Two (2) ladies who came that had never handled a shotgun in their lives. One of them just got the weapon from their father for Christmas.

Honestly, she couldn't put shot on paper at 15-20 yards when we started.
When it was over (approx. 6 hours), I had her runnin' & gunnin', combat loading and taking out shoot/don't shoot targets (actually thinking through the decision to shoot!!) in the process:D:D.

She was ecstatic!!!
It was a great feeling knowing that this lady can not go forward with confidence in her ability and that of the weapon.
She'll be back for more advanced training as well:thumb:

Thanks GFC. I'm going to take my Glock down to Home Depot and try and find a drawer handle that fits.

:popcorn:This ought to get interesting quickly:rofl:

Last edited:
Be sure to wear a ski mask over your face because it's cold out there. That will make it VERY interesting!

Measure the barrel diameter and find something smaller. There are other products at the home center that could be modified to work as well. I'm typing and right in front of me are two plastic venetian blind wands. A piece of one and a wood block with a hole drilled in it would work. A hardwood dowel would work. Soft copper tubing would work.

My first thought when reading the OP's post that this metal handle would/could damage the bore. I know I don't have any vinyl dip around but I'll bet heat shrink might be a better cover and I have a lot of that.

I have a 9mm Glock and I wonder if I could find a handle small enough for that barrel?

9mm is .380", so if you found a .250" handle and added a bit of vinyl to it you would probably come out to around .300" altogether. That should work just fine.

I still prefer to use a kydex holster since it locks the gun in place securely, either by friction or a latching mechanism that's released by your trigger finger on a catch when you draw.

But that's just me.

MC, the steel in that drawer pull is MUCH softer than the steel in a handgun's barrel. When I cut the end off, it only took about 15 seconds with a hacksaw, so it's VERY soft.

Well, you're certainly free to make any personal decisions about your own firearms that you wish to make.

Personally, I would not do that to MY firearms and I could not in good conscience suggest that anyone else do it.

FWIW, that's not me throwing down the rhetorical gauntlet., nor would I want you to interpret it as any sort of a personal shot. (No pun intended)

For those that will have a pistol aboard be sure to load with Glaser Safety ammo.

These will knock a hole in the intruder but so far less damage to the rest of the boat.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaser_Safety_Slug‎

Last edited:
FF, do they still make Glaser Safety Slug ammo? Other than the rounds I own I haven't seen it in years.

Thanks MC. Coincidentally, after your earlier post I went looking for the Glasers online and found that Corbon site. I guess I'm going to check with the lady I'm teaching and see if she wants any. If she does I'll probably order some for myself in .40S&W.

I like the idea, but I think I'd look for a piece of hose that would slide over the handle and fit inside the bore. Secured of course so it would stay on the holder.

Back
Top Bottom