NC or SC beach vacation??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pineapple Girl

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Make
Silverton 38c
Question for those of you familiar with the NC and SC beaches... I am looking into a week beach rental for June of 2014 (yeah planning ahead!). I've done rentals at Pawley's and Ocracoke before. Thinking maybe Emerald Isle???? What's your favorite place and why? Any places to avoid and why? It will be a trip with a small group of extended family ranging in age from 19 to 71. Somewhere not too isolated would be better -- one of these folks was bored in Ocracoke because there was "nothing to do but sit around." :whistling:

Hi Jennifer - Nags Head has the NC Aquarium, the Wright Brothers Memorial, Manteo (a colonial town), and Pea Island Reserve all nearby. Plus there are several lighthouses, and Kitty Hawk Kites nearby where they can teach you to hang glide or kite surf.

I love Ocracoke, but itchy kids might not. Nags Head is not outrageously commercial, but still has all the beachy stuff for those who need it.

Oh, and if that's not enough, there Wanchese nearby where there are several cool sport fishing boat builders.

No, I am not the mayor, I just have been there before on vacation myself.

Thanks Ben I THINK my parents have been to Nags Head. Sounds nice. It's actually my dad who gets bored! Lol

Bald Head Island if you have the bucks...ferry from Southport. No cars on the island - only golf carts. We rented a house so close to the water you had to put on a swimming suit to go down the front steps at high tide. I brought my handheld VHF to listen to the boating traffic coming in the inlet - I still remember the foreign freighter captain saying to the pilot service, "I want two tugs boat."

Bald Head Island, NC > Your Go-To Resources for Vacation Planning

Poor mans beach rentals = Beaufort NC. Great community of water/crafts. Gotta relate a story when we were crewing/living on a sailboat there. My wife's father sent us a package... Jeff & Suzy Nicholas, General Delivery, Beaufort NC. The thing was, he sent this package via UPS - the UPS driver yelled, "Ahoy, the boat!" And when I emerged, he handed me the package.

Hmm yeah bald head is out of my budget. I do love Beaufort. Great story. Thank you!!

image-145647612.jpg
Bald what?

Thanks Ben I THINK my parents have been to Nags Head. Sounds nice. It's actually my dad who gets bored! Lol

OOOhhhhhhh :rolleyes:

In Ocracoke and also near Nags Head he can rent a skiff for about 4 hours for somewhere around $100-$120. Bring some people along and it's not a horrible deal. Also he can rent a golf cart in Ocracoke for a day for about $75. None of it really "cheap" but vacation pricing. He can also surf fish in most places.

If all that fails, the aspiring child doctors in the family can do experimental surgery on him with kitchen utensils. :whistling:

Jennifer,

We have done the extended family vacation to Nag's Head and agree with Ben. Something there for everyone.

Rob

Haven't been there myself, by my brother and his family have been vacationing in Ocean Isle Beach, NC for years. They often bring the inlaws. In fact, they enjoy it so much that they purchased a 4 bedroom condo this year. If you look at the map, it is just north of the NC/SC border. Not too far from Myrtle Beach, but worlds apart from what I understand. Wish it was a bit closer so we could take the boat, but the round trip would eat up all our vacation time.

Haven't been there myself, by my brother and his family have been vacationing in Ocean Isle Beach, NC for years. They often bring the inlaws. In fact, they enjoy it so much that they purchased a 4 bedroom condo this year. If you look at the map, it is just north of the NC/SC border. Not too far from Myrtle Beach, but worlds apart from what I understand. Wish it was a bit closer so we could take the boat, but the round trip would eat up all our vacation time.

Do they rent out their condo? :)

Do they rent out their condo? :)

They haven't yet (just bought it), but I think that is the long term plan. They live in New England and my brother works for an ocean drilling company (4 weeks on/4 off), so they hope to use it when he is home and rent it when he is working. PM me if you want me to check with him - I'll probably need some dates, number of people, etc. It is right on the intercoastal, a couple blocks from the beach.

Jennifer, did we exchage phone numbers last time? Gimmie a call. I have all the info you need.

Have you thought about Kiawah Island, SC? I lived in NC for 11 years and I have friends with large families who have vacationed there for years.

Mrs. Fishbucket:)

Thanks tom and mrs fish b. I've kind of wandered from the subject since I posted it. I think I found a nice pad at wrightsville. I love Kiawah island! Haven't been for years.

I've got a client with a place just below Garden City, NC, just below Myrtle Beach, @ Murrells Inlet. His place backs up to the Main Creek, pool and dock. Cross the street and between the buildings and you're on the beach. Short drive to Myrtle for those that want to go there. Don't know what he rents it for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom