Old 06-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #1
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
The Navy

There must be some people on here that have been in the Navy.... I really think i want to join once I can, it combines serving my country along with doing what I love ( electronic navigation, electrical and electronics). I don't know just seems like something that would be great to do. Also being able to travel places, in a big ship none the less! I e always been fascinated by ships and they're systems.

What says the the TF crowd?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:01 AM   #2
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Once I can? What's preventing you? What schooling have you completed and how'd you do?
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:41 AM   #3
FF
Guru

NAVY , great schools , if you can qualify , they will send you as far as you can go.

I learned to fly , so had good job after leaving.

They will guarantee school if you qualify before signing up.

Go for it!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:00 AM   #4
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Get an appointment to the Naval Academy and you will get free tuition and a 4 year stay at quaint Annapolis. They will even improve your marching skills.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:28 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
They will guarantee school if you qualify before signing up.
But, only if the needs of the service don't dictate otherwise. When I was in the Navy a number of guys had signed up with school guarantees but ended up elsewhere as the Navy had other slots it had to fill. Granted, this was during the Vietnam war era. May be different in "peacetime".
Old 06-03-2015, 06:35 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
Once I can? What's preventing you? What schooling have you completed and how'd you do?

I'm currently in school!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #7
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
It was the most interesting job I've ever had, by far. Also, the worst working conditions and lifestyle. Overall, a good trade-off, though. Do it, you won't regret it. Get a commission, don't enlist.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
I'm currently in school!
College? High school?

If you're in college and you can afford it, stay there, study hard enough to get good grades, and talk to a recruiter about officer programs after graduation. If you're still in high school and not sure what you'll do afterwards, study hard enough to get good grades and talk to a recruiter about your options. They'll give you a test and let you know what openings they have and what you qualify for.

As others have already said, the Navy is a great place to learn a trade or profession and to gain experience with responsibility that is hard to come by as a junior person in the civilian world, all while seeing the world.

Whatever you decide, good luck! Keep us posted.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #9
Guru

City: West Coast
You should definitely look into the Naval Academy -- ask your guidance counselor about specifics, but most are admitted based on a congressional appointment. If you want to spend time on the water, and have more civilian-employable skills when you leave, USCG may be a better fit.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
College? High school?

If you're in college and you can afford it, stay there, study hard enough to get good grades, and talk to a recruiter about officer programs after graduation. If you're still in high school and not sure what you'll do afterwards, study hard enough to get good grades and talk to a recruiter about your options. They'll give you a test and let you know what openings they have and what you qualify for.

As others have already said, the Navy is a great place to learn a trade or profession and to gain experience with responsibility that is hard to come by as a junior person in the civilian world, all while seeing the world.

Whatever you decide, good luck! Keep us posted.

High School, thanks for the info!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #11
FF
Guru

"They will even improve your marching skills."

Marching skills? This is the NAVY !!!

WE were lucky not to cut each others ears off with sword salutes.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. O. The military is a commendable career or career starter wrt educational benefits. Take VERY careful note of post #5. Read it again. Your forte with electronics may be overlooked if the Navy needs a cold weather instructor in Kodiak, Alaska. Once you're in, you're told where to go.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #13
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"They will even improve your marching skills."

Marching skills? This is the NAVY !!!

WE were lucky not to cut each others ears off with sword salutes.

And clothes folding! You'll learn how to stow your gear.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #14
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Look into the US Navy Nuclear Power School. It's a challenge...
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Libertyville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Look into the US Navy Nuclear Power School. It's a challenge...
A great recommendation. It is a long, exacting brain exercise that can be compared with some of the best learning institutions in America. Also they have an officers program in parallel with the core course.

A graduate, upon leaving the Navy, is almost automatically assured a secondary career working in the control units of civilian nuclear power plants.
Right rudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:15 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
College first...maybe even the Naval Academy, but any college then go in as an officer. There are some great maritime colleges, including one near my marina in Vallejo, CA.

https://www.csum.edu/web/mycampus/home

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:22 AM   #17
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
I was 18 and off the coast of Vietnam, launching A-6 off the pointy end an hoping that not only the crew and plane would return to the Connie.....but that I'd wake up tomorrow morning to do it all over again. Lost a lot of aircrew and many crewmembers during that time and on the way home many months later, I told myself I hope I make it to enjoy a long life.

18 years later, found myself in the midst of Desert Storm and thought, I hope this one isn't as bad as Vietnam. Considering all the conflicts in between Vietnam and the Sandbox, I guess I was lucky, the same couldn't be said for many that didn't come home. I may not remember their names, but I remember their faces and the dreams they had. It's a shame this one has lasted as long as it has, cuz it's my Grandkids that may end up in this one.

I just closed on the sale of my business and now 60, hope to move forward with the Admiral and escape to a little cove for a day or so wherever that cove is, and be grateful that we can. I've paid attention to all those that have influenced me over the years, most of them very positive. Most of them waited too long to retire and enjoy the remaining years.

I also have been fortunate to have Jeff Merrill as not only a friend, but he gets it and his patience has helped us to find the "right boat". Sorry it's taken this long Jeff.

Yep, I move a lot slower, don't see as well at night and can't hear like I use to. I take more breaks now and maybe enjoy that cocktail and a cigar a little more when we are sitting on the fly bridge watching the world turn, but we paid our dues and it's now " our time"!

Your time is when you pull the plug and decide to make the change. I wish you all the best and when you sit back and reflect on your life....I hope you can say....

"It's now our time" , now I hope I live long enough to see it through.

John & Tracey

Also, Been drawing a retirement check for the last 23 years now, so if your inclined to do the time, go officer program....the retirement check is so much better.
I'm typing this on board the Paridice, it doesn't get better.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:00 AM   #18
FF
Guru

Should you want to make far more bucks than the military will pay to go to sea ,

1. SUNY Maritime College

www.sunymaritime.edu/

<li class="g">State University of New York Maritime College

Associate of Applied Science, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Engineering, and Masterof Science degrees. All students at the college also prepare for a ...4.2
    14 Google reviews · Write a review · Google+ page
    6 Pennyfield Ave, Bronx, NY 10465
    (718) 409-7200

<li class="g">State University of New York Maritime College - Wikipedia ...

en.wikipedia.org/.../State_University_of_New_York_Maritime...

Wikipedia

SUNY Maritime College is a maritime college located in the Bronx, New York, United States in historic Fort Schuyler on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the ...‎Overview - ‎History - ‎Regiment of Cadets - ‎At Sea

Old 06-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #19

City: Green Country
And if you want to really go to sea for a living; and want every one's favorite uncle to pay for it....

May I present "the service academy with attitude"

http://www.usmma.edu/
MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #20
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
I did a hitch in the Navy back in the 60s. The Navy is somewhat like any program, you get out of it what you put into it. Overall, it was a very good thing for me.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote