Old 06-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #21

City: Green Country
Tried to post this earlier, I'd recommend you check out the USMMA, the US Merchant Marine Academy.

Still a service academy, though you also receive a Coast Guard license with your commission.

The Unlimited Masters I've had opportunity to sail with who were graduates, used to refer to it as "the service academy with attitude".

MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433523685.841428.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	40838

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #23
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Should you want to make far more bucks than the military will pay to go to sea:
An interesting article about how SUNY stacks up with the Ivy League It's a pretty solid investment. USMMA is free, but comes with a mandatory commitment to sail for 6 years (I think)

Olly, If you have any questions about SUNY, please feel free to contact me. I graduated in '06. I'm sure some of what i remember still applies. They have an NROTC program there as well, so you can get a commission that way, too.

If I'm honest, I did not enjoy my time there. My brain and personality type are not well suited to a military lifestyle. I also really hated living in New York City. If those two things don't bother you, you'll be much happier there than I was.

That being said, I have no regrets. If I had it to do again, I would. The education and certification I got there has allowed me to live very comfortably.

Also, the Summer Sea Terms were a really great experience. Lots of work, lots of stress, but you'll get to see a lot of really cool places.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:46 AM   #24
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Oliver, Cardude, Healhustler, Darrell and I were talking about your interest in the Navy at lunch today. The concensus opinion was that you want to go in as an officer which means college. Darrell suggested you should look at the NOAA Corp. He worked with them when he worked with the hurricane hunter guys. He said you'd be an Admiral very quickly. I don't think he was kidding.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:06 AM   #25
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Hmmm. This is an interesting subject for me. I thought my whole life I wanted to be an officer in the US Navy. I went to New York Maritime, and then enlisted in the US Navy into the Nuclear Power Program.

Being an officer has its ups and its downs and likewise being enlisted has its ups and downs. That said I'm glad I was an enlisted person because enlisted get to do whereas officers get to watch.

Officers get a much spiffier uniform.

Consider the difference between an engineer and a tradesman. One does while one instructs.

I currently work as an engineer but I preferred working as a tradesman.

As it turns out the money is probably preferable to the tradesperson.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:19 AM   #26
FF
Guru

Depending on the skool you chose , IF it has a ROTC program do join it.

The time in the ROTC is counted as military time in terms of years of servoce, sop 4 years in ROTC is worth way more if toy join up.

Yes you can chose the service you desire after ROTC.

But check with them , I was in the USN in 64, things change
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I was in 68-71. My take is this, considering your age go for the gold. Annapolis!! Take every math course and ace them. Physics and so forth. Talk to your counselor. He/she knows more about current requirements than we do. Go to the Annapolis web site. Read same.
Enlisted, same with the math...
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #28
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Hmmm. This is an interesting subject for me. I thought my whole life I wanted to be an officer in the US Navy. I went to New York Maritime, and then enlisted in the US Navy into the Nuclear Power Program.

Being an officer has its ups and its downs and likewise being enlisted has its ups and downs. That said I'm glad I was an enlisted person because enlisted get to do whereas officers get to watch.

Officers get a much spiffier uniform.

Consider the difference between an engineer and a tradesman. One does while one instructs.

I currently work as an engineer but I preferred working as a tradesman.

As it turns out the money is probably preferable to the tradesperson.
Great input...there are so many layers of info that go back and forth how to do it...you REALLY need to sit down with someone who spent a long time in and saw life on both sides of the enlisted/officer sides.

So much has changed yet a few details are the same.

My son joined 5 years ago and we have mega talks on career and what are his paths for his goals.

He is a rescue swimmer yet he spends more time on sonar and combat situation info electronics than jumping....he is an AWR on HH60 helos.

He is finishing up his 3rd deployment out of Japan after enlisting and being accepted into the SEAL program. Bad joints were one of the reasons for dropping and going rescue swimmer..but it still was a ba** buster and he loves and yet hates his job...which isn't abnormal for most of us.

At any rate...it is a topic that can take many hours of debate whether it is a good fit or not, which service, full carrer or not, officer or enlisted, special program joinup and which one....etc..etc...

Before signing up...it is a chunk of life that is precious based on what experiences you get but never returned if it doesn't fit your overall plans.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #29
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Before signing up...it is a chunk of life that is precious based on what experiences you get but never returned if it doesn't fit your overall plans.
Exactly!

And remember, it's not the military of old, in a lot of respects, both good and bad.

If you're lucky enough to make it 20 (probably more by the time this administration is through with it!), you'll enjoy some nice benefits, and the memories of a lifetime.

OTOH, if you get somewhere in between and they (again, the administration) decide that we have too many sailors, we're spending too much on the military, or there's just not enough crap going on to justify your existence, then you'll be sent packing, and you'll have "somewhat" wasted that portion of your life.

Please don't misunderstand. There's nothing that will take away the memories or the skills that you'll gain, and all at someone else's expense. That's a good thing. And the skills and education you'll gain, even if you just do a hitch, can mean the difference in a well paying gig on the outside, and even the opportunity to apply in some cases.

If you decide to go, take advantage of the opportunities offered. If there's a school or advancement opportunity, TAKE IT! If there's a chance to interact with other teams, military units, civilian groups, TAKE IT!

You never know where life is going to lead, and what some of those "opportunities" may turn into.

Listen to the advice other's have given you here. It's all pretty darned spot on!

All the best on your decision.

OD
Old 06-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Good summation PS
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:27 AM   #31
Guru

What an impressive thread! TF at its best!
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #32
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
My father was in the Navy and always talks fondly of his experience. He was in the SeaBees and really got to see the world. My brother went to Maine Maritime and got to see the world on their training ship durring two summers. He graduated the deck program, went on to work for a big drilling ship company, working from 2nd Mate to Captain. Fourteen years out, he now has his own ship and works four week rotations making very good money. He can live anywhere he wants, as they fly him to the ship. Six months of vacation and no expenses while on board makes for a pretty good life. Just something to consider.

Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote