My passage confusion.Inside?Northwest?Northern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ben2go

Guru
Vessel Name
Shipoopi
Vessel Make
derilic sailboat
I have been doing a lot of reading of boaty blogs and people's, ummm, misadventures on the water.:thumb:Occasionally I would come across the term passage with either inside,northern, or northwest.My confusion set in when there was no mention of navigating around northern Canada.I was doing that thing we all should try to avoid,assuming.:facepalm:After bumping into a few wiki sites,I realized that I was, ummm, seriously confused.Not hard to do these days it seems.:oldman:After a little more investigating,I realized that people were speaking of different areas of Alaska.The terms, north west,northern,and inside passage, were kicking my can.:banghead:I ass-u-me everyone was referencing their trips through the INSIDE passage.:nonono:Again,I ass-u-me that no one rounded the northwestern tip of, AK because of the lack of boating resources along the northern coast of AK to CAN.Then again,my info on this subject could be wrong.

So to clarify.
Inside passage-The inside passages through the channels and islands along south western AK down through BC,CAN and on to WA.
North West Passage-Is a route through the northern islands of North America from the Pacific through the Canadian Arctic Archipelago to the Atlantic ocean.
Northern Passage-Not 100% on this but I think it's the route linking the inside passage to the northwest passage.Of course this could just be a different wording to use for the NW passage.:ermm:

Inside Passage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Northwest Passage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom