Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bruce,

I do believe that was a ‘40 Ford coupe in your last video. Around these parts it was the preferred moonshiners vehicle.

Don, as you likely know, there are the remains of dozens of stills out here in the deep woods where we live. The one on our property is reduced to barrel hoops, sheet metal and mason jars. A neighbor had one up the creek that was mostly intact. A friend remembers stumbling on one in operation as a boy while hunting in this area. He couldn’t get away fast enough! Too bad most of those guys have diversified into meth. Exploding houses aren’t nearly as fun to romanticize as moonshine stills.

https://youtu.be/tdwUpxkfSJw

Bruce, I do believe that was a ‘40 Ford coupe in your last video. Around these parts it was the preferred moonshiners vehicle.
Very observant Don, I saw the car in the clip, and had absolutely no idea why it was there. The band is/was UK based.

Don, as you likely know, there are the remains of dozens of stills out here in the deep woods where we live. The one on our property is reduced to barrel hoops, sheet metal and mason jars. A neighbor had one up the creek that was mostly intact. A friend remembers stumbling on one in operation as a boy while hunting in this area. He couldn’t get away fast enough! Too bad most of those guys have diversified into meth. Exploding houses aren’t nearly as fun to romanticize as moonshine stills.

https://youtu.be/tdwUpxkfSJw

Ian, yes I know quite well. Being a developer/builder, I have run across many still remnants on our mountain. As you said all you have to do is look for a pile of barrel hoops.

I think I’ve gotten a reputation for posting strange music. This is no exception but I think it’s really good. If I had to describe it I think I’d call it Bollywood Rockabilly. The group is two sisters and their brother. Their Mom is English and their Dad is Indian. Give them a try. The video takes a dark turn about half way through. Ignore that and listen to the music.

I think I’ve gotten a reputation for posting strange music. This is no exception but I think it’s really good. If I had to describe it I think I’d call it Bollywood Rockabilly. The group is two sisters and their brother. Their Mom is English and their Dad is Indian. Give them a try. The video takes a dark turn about half way through. Ignore that and listen to the music.

:rofl: Love it, Parks. I’d say Bollywood meets Rockabilly meets Hitchcock. :rofl:

That is a bit weird.Michael Hutchence, lead singer of INXS died using a plastic bag over his head, apparently for "solo personal pleasure" but overdid the oxygen limitation. Is that acid being poured into the bath? Spooky.

Talking of "Spooky", how about this? The Atlanta Rhythm Section, one too many burgers, but they can play.

I'll play...

OK I'll play. I love all music but especially live stripped down acoustic sessions and bluegrass really shines in this regard... Not a big fan of tracked studio recordings at all.

Dan Tyminski

Dan Tyminski, of Vermont, and of Alison Krauss & Union Station fame is one of my favorites.

This video shows Dan and Jerry Douglass (the undisputed worlds finest steel guitar player) playing with some Irish music musicians and mixing Irish music with Bluegrass. Wait until it kicks in..

[youtube]Z5X4Q6jFtHg[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: Swa
Seen this Canadian band twice, and they put on an amazing live show. Everyone in the band is insanely talented.

The band is called Walk Off The Earth...

[youtube]d9NF2edxy-M[/youtube]

Here they are with an a capella version of a Taylor Swift song with special guest appearance with the human beat boxing of KoreanFX..

[youtube]WcM14Al83Ls[/youtube]

Like the Dead back in the good ole' days, I've seen these guys too many times to count. One of my favorite live jam bands.

They amplify bluegrass (jamgrass) to an insane level and keep it sounding 100% acoustic. Their light show and live shows are absolutely amazing.

Greensky Bluegrass featuring special guest Holly Bowling on keyboards.
[youtube]PxLHbOXjS0o[/youtube]

Just saw this husband and wife team on the 22 and then Railroad Earth the next night. Amazing back to back shows.

These two write some of the most timeless music and deliver it with an effortless style that will send shivers down you spine. Their live sound is crisp, clear and stunningly powerful..

Mandolin Orange..
[youtube]fEt2lf7L13g[/youtube]

Rod, welcome to the music thread . . . and what a great entrance! If your music contributions are as spot on as your Marine How-To’s, we’re all in for a treat. I’ve based numerous upgrades on your columns and posts and am very grateful for all the help you provide.

I’ve seen Dan Tyminski and Jerry Douglas several times and they are magic when they get together. One suggestion (which I’m amazed I get to offer in response to anything you write) is that Jerry is the world’s foremost virtuoso on the dobro, which is usually considered distinct from a lap steel. (all in the spirit of technical accuracy :D.)

Also, if you haven't been introduced to Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, then you've been missing out. You'll like 'em!

One suggestion (which I’m amazed I get to offer in response to anything you write) is that Jerry is the world’s foremost virtuoso on the dobro, which is usually considered distinct from a lap steel. (all in the spirit of technical accuracy :D.)

And you are technically accurate! Typed that one too fast, before coffee.

Greetings,
This thread had been going on for some 3 years now (thanks Mr. Moon!) with many excellent tunes. I can't recall if this artist has ever been posted but worth repeating IMO, if she has...

Dave, since you like Nathaniel Rateliff, try Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band.

Birmingham Jail

Searched this thread and didn’t see this one posted before

Have some of your guys heard this old folk song before?

I think this one of the best renditions. The video clip featuring this song is from Stir Crazy, a great movie.

I've heard a Lead Belly recording of it - I think that puts it in the 20s - 40s. Expect it's older than that, though.

I've heard a Lead Belly recording of it - I think that puts it in the 20s - 40s. Expect it's older than that, though.

interesting that the lyrics are somewhat different, as is with the Johnny Cash Version

boatbrain & hopcar, thank you! Yes, we are very proud of her. She works very had at her "craft" and has entertained at various wineries, public events etc. Her "busking" career is off to a good start. That kid brings home some $$ for a 13 yr old. Better yet, she saves a majority of it. She was singing at 2-3 and was on pitch etc. Have no idea where she "got it". :confused: She began taking piano lessons at six, added guitar at nine and even took voice lessons. Her dream is to make a living at it. We shall see...

Greetings,
Mr. MM raised the memory...Good lord. I remember the girl I was dancing with the first time I heard this!!!! 1964.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom