Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have built several small boats with my friend Snapper. He is a good twenty years younger than me. Sometimes we don’t understand each other’s cultural references. One day we were discussing what color to paint a boat. I suggested Procol Haram White. He said what’s that like? I said it’s sort of a whiter shade of pale. He looked at me strangely. He knew I was messing with him but he didn’t know how. Later he admitted he had gone home and looked it up.

51088778_2449559275118284_1985522041880576000_n.jpg

Do you remember this one?

Here's one I think we missed. Van Morrison's enduring song, Brown Eyed Girl. My son saw Van in concert a couple of months ago. He said he still puts on a great performance.

Last edited:
Here's America with Ventura Highway.

and America again with Sister Golden Hair.

Just a quick back and forth to post a tribute to Notre-Dame.
Belle from Notre Dame de Paris musical show w/ English subtitles & only the song.
Performed by Garou (Quasimodo) Daniel Lavoie (Frollo) Patrick Fiori (Phoebus).

Belle is a 1997 romantic song from the musical Notre Dame de Paris inspired by the famous novel Notre-Dame de Paris (aka The Hunchback of Notre Dame) by Victor Hugo. The song talks about different men who have desires to Esmeralda, a beautiful street dancer gypsy girl who is sheltered in the cathedral of Notre Dame by Quasimodo, the deformed bellringer of Notre Dame cathedral - his name means “half made”.

France is a fundamentally Roman Catholic country in which Notre Dame cathedral bears a special place because of its combination of the secular, the sacred and the profane. Notre-Dame de Paris is France. It’s a reference, it’s kilometer zero. It’s how we measure distances all over France. It’s our roots, it’s our history.

I would like to think that this horrible fire will give the French a chance to reconcile our views on the role of Christianity in our history.

It's realistic to reopen Notre Dame to the public in time for the Olympic Games in Paris in 2024.

Last edited:
Thank you for your post, Olivier. We have all seen the horror reflected on the French faces of your citizens. It was such a great loss to the world. Notre Dame was and is an icon. A symbol of beauty and stability that we thought would always endure, but alas we were shocked to see how quickly it was lost.

As Notre Dame has before, it will rise again thanks to the generosity of many people and corporations. It will once again stand as a symbol of beauty and stability as well as a world center of Christianity.

Time before last in Paris we stayed on the left bank with easy access to Notre Dame, and visited several times at different times of day. Hard to imagine anything so old and venerated so damaged so unexpectedly, but fire is no respecter of 800+ year old oak. 5 years to reinstate may be optimistic,but there will be stages when usage becomes feasible, to the joy of citizens and visitors alike.
The horrible events in Sri Lanka add a sobering dimension. With only one report of injury,in time Notre Dame Cathedral can be made good. Except perhaps in a religious sense, the many lives lost and the broken lives of those around them in the Sri Lanka church and hotel attacks cannot be made good.

With a tip of the hat to Parks here is Bob Seger's Silver Bullet Band with Still the Same.

Thanks for that Don. He’s still great.
Saw John Sebastian of The Lovin’ Spoonful last week. His voice has aged but I think it was more interesting.

We’re going to see Post Modern Jukebox on Sunday. I don’t know how to describe them. You never know what they’ll sing or even who will sing it. Here is one sung by Telly Savalas daughter. Thank heaven she doesn’t look or sound like him!

Great to have you "aboard", Joey. It you have some favorites feel free to post them.

How about a change up with a little Blue Grass. I think of this number often. I once posted that I was taking a cruise to no where in particular. I sometimes do that with my boat and RV. It's a great thing when you can let the journey be the destination. So, with that in mind here is Balsom Range with Any Old Road.

Nice switch, Don.

Here’s one with some bluegrass influence. Also shows, I think, that talent must be partly genetic.

My wife and I are going to see Postmodern Jukebox on Sunday. They take modern songs and sing them as they should have been sung. Here is an example. First Katy Perry’s version then PMJ.

Gathering of one wonderful bunch of country!! How do they do this stuff!!

Last edited:
Nice switch, Don.

Here’s one with some bluegrass influence. Also shows, I think, that talent must be partly genetic.

So true about talent running in the generations, Ian. Unfortunately I missed that gene. A very nice contribution.

Here's one from an extremely talented young lady that we lost much too soon, Whitney Houston. This from a movie that she starred in, The Body Guard, the song is I Will Always Love You.

Last edited:
Don that is a great song but my favorite rendition of it was when Dolly sang it to Porter Wagoner to say goodbye to him.

Parks, being from East Tennessee Dolly could be singing for the whole of East Tennessee. She has never forgotten her roots. In fact, she has probably done more for this part of the state than any other individual. She has supported schools and colleges as well as provided jobs. Her Dollywood breathed new economic life into a whole area. In short I just think she is pretty wonderful.

By the way, during my stay in NC our Kiwanis Club put on a fund raising concert at ECU. One of the featured acts was Dolly Parton. She treated out volunteers better than any other act. Her bus was loaded with family members. I remember her younger brother was extremely well mannered and polite. Dolly even invited us on her bus. It was all very refreshing after having some drugged out acts that hurled insults at us.

Last edited:
Don, as a another Dolly fan, here is a song about our fantasy. If you haven’t seen the play this is from, you should. Lots of good music.

Checking out another youtube song, I saw this: Lisa Stansfield and Barry White 'All Around the World". Lisa S has recorded it before (maybe wrote it), Barry White adds something more.

Here's acouple from Orleans, Still The One and Dance With Me

...and a little bonus here is Dancing in the Moonlight by the same group.

About fifty years ago when I was working as a photographer for a small newspaper I had lunch with this guy. A great musician and the funniest guy I’ve ever met.

Parks, while in high school Victor Borge came to do his act at our assembly of over 2200 students. He was in town to put on a concert at a large venue. You could tell he enjoyed entertaining people. He drew many laughs from the high school group, but we could also tell that he was a serious musician. Man, this has taken me back to the late 1950s.

By the way, our Chattanooga Central High School football team played your Miami H.S. Hurricanes a couple of times.

Borge’s manager hired me to photograph him in his dressing room after the concert. The original RT Firefly was there! It was great being a fly on the wall for that meeting. Groucho was pretty old at that point and there was an attractive younger woman who seemed to be taking care of him. I’ve always wondered about that relationship.

The Miami High football team are the Stingarees, the University of Miami are the Hurricanes. I went to Coral Gables High and the game with Miami High was a big rivalry. The game would usually fill the Orange Bowl. That’s a big turnout for a high school game.

I hope your team kicked their ass!?

This is "Zero Gravity",Australia`s entry in the Eurovision Song Contest 2019. How Australia gets to enter, and how Israel gets to hold the Contest in Tel Aviv with neither being in Europe,I don`t know.
The singer is Kate Miller Heidke. The 2 figures beside her also swaying on high poles are her "tormentors". The song is about the exhilarating breakthrough emergence from a depression via anti depressant medication, usually achieved 2-3 weeks after commencing medication. So it`s a remarkably serious song,in an anything but serious contest, in a very "out there" production designed to capture imagination. Kate M-H is operatically trained, a real musician, not a typical "pop idol" type performer.

Bruce,

I was intrigued by your post, but the video is unavailable in the US.

Thank you, Don!

This thread hit the 1,000th post recently and we’re still coming up with great material. Think we owe Don some gratitude for starting this, so thank you, Don.

Here’s Janis Joplin with an enduring hit she wrote. I’m sure you will recognize it. Pay close attention to the message at the end.

janis joplin me and bobby mcgee

Hi Don, Janis did the ultimate version of Bobby McGee but Kris Kristofferson wrote it.

Back
Top Bottom