Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Memorable cult-theme of HBO prestige drama «Succession» ; a little after Schubert’s Ständchen in D Minor later arranged by Franz Liszt for solo piano , at least the first ten seconds definitely

following above ; I forgot to post Ständchen in D Minor after Schubert S. 560 by Franz Liszt for solo piano ; here performed by Katharina Treutler, she has given numerous recitals around the world, performing in Europe, Asia and the USA ; also as a soloist she has worked with leading orchestras including the London Symphony Orchestra , the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, the San Francisco Symphony and the San Diego Symphony Orchestra ;

following above ; I forgot to post Ständchen in D Minor after Schubert S. 560 by Franz Liszt for solo piano ; here performed by Katharina Treutler, she has given numerous recitals around the world, performing in Europe, Asia and the USA ; also as a soloist she has worked with leading orchestras including the London Symphony Orchestra , the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, the San Francisco Symphony and the San Diego Symphony Orchestra ;

A truly beautiful performance!

Steely Dan, way back, when Becker and Fagan both had hair and Becker was still alive:

Been a little quiet here lately. How about some classic Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth?

Got to sit on the front row for Molly’s Chattanooga show last month—where I was able to snap some pictures—and remain blown away by this girl’s talent. Her band is also fantastic. It seems fame is deservedly catching up to her with a NY Times feature on her new album. The video is from a few years ago; she takes whatever group she’s playing with to the next level.

Molly Tuttle Is a Top Bluegrass Guitarist. She’s Also a Lot More. (Published 2022)

Attachments

• 603641F4-A817-40D2-8A33-D0003FDABF1B.jpg
    603641F4-A817-40D2-8A33-D0003FDABF1B.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 15
The Grammys got it right with Jon Batiste, what a remarkable talent. When my old bones need a boost I watch his ‘Freedom’ video. If someone could figure out how to post that piece here I think most would enjoy it.

Since we don’t mind a little variety here.
I’ve been on a science kick lately and after reading a few bios on Einstein I went digging to see if I could find any example of his violin playing. I find it pretty charming. Partly because it’s Einstein of course.

I’ve always liked saxophone music. Tex Beneke with Glen Miller, Sam Butera with Louie Prima, and Alto Reed with Bob Seger. Alto lived in Miami part time and was a friend of one of my customers. He came to my store to buy fishing tackle a few times. Once he brought a giant saxophone and played it. Listen to the sax intro to Turn the Page. That’s Alto.

Warning: This can be an ear worm! I just heard this for the first time a few weeks ago. I had to look it up to get its history. It is a Rastafari song from Jamaica. The Rivers of Babylon are the Tigre’s and Euphrates rivers. King Alpha is Haile Selassie. In other versions the term King Alpha was changed to The Lord.

Try this version.

two more

Have only had time to check out a few of these pages. As with things, some
I enjoyed and others I will leave for others to enjoy.

Here are a couple more with special memories and meanings, the first since 1965 the second, much more recent.

Sorry, you will need to go directly to youtube for the first one

Ted

Boz Scaggs "Skylark"

Sweet 2008 Boz Scaggs version of the old standard "Skylark",written by Hoagy Carmichael and Johnny Mercer.

Anyone get the "Queen" reference in the Scottish band AWB song above? Don`t the Brits do a good funeral!

This is 2 in one, Henry Mancini`s instrumental "Dreamsville" and the lyrics version by Lola Albright. Sue Raney is better but her CD is graded "rare", $100+ secondhand.

Lil Darlin, Neil Hefti song, vocal choir

Found by accident, The Seattle Academy Onions Jazz Choir sings Neil Hefti`s "Lil Darlin". Great tune, lots of talent!

Glad you’re keeping this thread alive, Bruce. Some great tunes here.

Playing for Change

Have you guys heard of Playing for Change? It’s a couple of guys who travel around the world and have local musicians and singers perform the same song. Then they edit it together. I think it’s really interesting. This is one of my favorites.

Loved that, Parks. Constantly amazes me how “our music” has spread all over the world. Here’s a pair from New Zealand spreading some of theirs. (Not exactly musical but pretty funny.)

"Coming back Again"..Diane Reeves and Joe Sample

No live pics, close your eyes, just listen....

Last edited:
Tania Maria from Brazil- "Come With Me" live.

Her voice, keyboard skills, phrasing, scatting, enthusiasm, and rhythm, are incredibly good. I think it`s her signature song, note the effortless switches of keyboard between acoustic and electric.

Last edited:
Who can do the dance that goes with this song?

The Grammys got it right with Jon Batiste, what a remarkable talent. When my old bones need a boost I watch his ‘Freedom’ video. If someone could figure out how to post that piece here I think most would enjoy it.
The Batiste clan obviously have the musical talent DNA. Lionel, Russel Jr, Milton, Jon, and many more. Some pros, some occasional performers with "normal" careers. It's remarkable the number and variety of local NOLA venues where you can catch some portion of the Batistes - always a great performance.

"I Can`t Help It" Judith Hill & Jean Rodriguez

Never heard of them either. Spotted while looking for covers of the song, written by Stevie Wonder for Michael Jackson. If you like smooth Brazilian Salsa, it`s well worth a listen.

Last edited:
There is a form of music now that you can’t hear in person. One person sings, plays several instruments and also sings backup vocals. This is only possible in a digital format. Anne Reburn is great at this.

This guy’s very existence is annoying to me. I want to knock his teeth out. Nobody should have that many teeth! But damn I like his music.

On the back of Hopcar's digitally assembled piece, this is a piece from an elementary school in Staten Island - PS22 apparently has a noted chorus program for their 5th and 6th graders. Due to the pandemic closures, they did their 2020 graduation perfomance virtually. I cannot imagine the amount time the teacher spent assembling this. Im sure has inspired many kids along the way. As the song goes, "nobody said it was easy."

Note the 'PS22' on their shirts.

https://youtu.be/o_hg0QmFhcg

Somebody had to mention this passing though it's impossible to pick out a fav. Do it, Jeff...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom