Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No problem. When you pull up the video, click on the youtube URL in the browser line. It should be hilited. then right click it. A dialogue screen will appear. Left click on copy. That puts it on your clip board.

When you are at the place you want to post the link, right click and then left click on paste. Post the message, and magically your video will appear.

Thanks Don. I'll give it a try when I have time.

I'll do my part when time is available, haven't had much free time for music this week. T minus 10 years and counting till retirement or what I like to think will be full time guitar practice.

I will say defining a Muscle Shoals "sound" is nearly impossible when you consider Percy Sledge, The Rolling Stones, Alicia Keyes, Paul Simon, Alan Jackson, and hundreds of other artists have written and recorded there. I heard it said that at one point over 50 major hit records per year recorded there. Black recording artists where coming down looking for those black studio players in M-S and where shocked to find just a handful of pasty white southern country boys creating that soul filled sound.

Phil Collins "In the Air Tonight" concert version. How's this for an intro?

By the way, for those that didn't know, You can put youtube versions up in full screen. Just click on the you tube URL at the top of the video. It will open another window. Click on the full screen icon at lower right.

Last edited:
This one with Sade features her awesome band and back up singers. A lot of music from so few people.

For BruceK here is another song by Lou Rawls.

For a change of pace how about a little Boogie Woogie?

Thanks Don, for the live Lou Rawls. He first played Australia with Nancy Wilson,she became a popular regular visitor.
I found the Blossom Dearie track " My Attorney Bernie". Words by David Frischberg. Combining her amazing voice, phrasing and piano, with a little humor.

Last edited:
This is so cool - Lots of goodies and some I didn´t know about. As someone said earlier, I don´t know how to upload a video, but it isn´t hard to find on Youtube. NOT meaning to be a party pooper but I thought perhaps some of You guys/Dolls can relate to it - I sure do and I often make new friends just by playing it..hm. Here goes: "Brothers in arms" By Dire Straits or lead singer/guitarr Mark Knopfler - Cheers -J

This is so cool - Lots of goodies and some I didn´t know about. As someone said earlier, I don´t know how to upload a video, but it isn´t hard to find on Youtube. NOT meaning to be a party pooper but I thought perhaps some of You guys/Dolls can relate to it - I sure do and I often make new friends just by playing it..hm. Here goes: "Brothers in arms" By Dire Straits or lead singer/guitarr Mark Knopfler - Cheers -J

Ted

Here's another with Van Morrison backed by Jools Holland's fabulous orchestra. Jools is on piano.

More Donald Fagen, this time with Walter Becker. I have the Kamarkiriad CD, surprised to see online it is not well known, maybe even rare.Here is the CD, no live performance but great tracks. The usual SD magic nonsense, like(first track) "a steam powered 10 (car) with a hydroponic garden in the back", and later, on "Snowbound" "snowbound, let`s sleep in today, wake me up when the wolves come out to play".

Jonza, see post #86 about posting videos, and yes Brothers in Arms is great. You may want to take a look see at Mark Knopfler's "A Night in London" concert video. Lot's of great stuff in that one.

Here's a link, but be warned it's about an hour long.

Thanks for that post, Bruce. New to me, and I thought I had heard all the Steely Dan stuff. I'm still searching for the number about running through the rain drops in Miama. Finally found it.

Don, I have Raindrops on a CD,not sure which.
An earlier Donald Fagen album is "Nightfly". Title track( he`s a midnight-dawn DJ)"I`m Lester the Nightfly at old Baton Rouge..." and "so you say there`s a race, of men in the trees... I wait all night for calls like these". I have the CD and, ahem,somewhere, a cassette. I saw Nightfly online, on youtube, today.
As it`s Christmas,the irreverent Bob Rivers Christmas songs, like "Chipmunks (Chestnuts) Roasting on an Open Fire",even the one based on "Walking In a Winter Wonderland" come to mind. People could explore those themselves.

Don, I have Raindrops on a CD,not sure which.
An earlier Donald Fagen album is "Nightfly". Title track( he`s a midnight-dawn DJ)"I`m Lester the Nightfly at old Baton Rouge..." and "so you say there`s a race, of men in the trees... I wait all night for calls like these". I have the CD and, ahem,somewhere, a cassette. I saw Nightfly online, on youtube, today.
As it`s Christmas,the irreverent Bob Rivers Christmas songs, like "Chipmunks (Chestnuts) Roasting on an Open Fire",even the one based on "Walking In a Winter Wonderland" come to mind. People could explore those themselves.

Bruce, probably the reason "Rain Drops" means so much to me is that we can anchor in Biscayne Bay. Take the Dinghy in, and be a couple of blocks from Lincoln Road. A Fabulous area it is!:thumb: Music and boats? Yes!:thumb:

That's the reason for not playing the "NightFly" album. I have it on cassette tape

Last edited:
For something a little different, David Byrne of Talking Heads fame with "Road to Nowhere". Great percussion on this one. I like this one when on an RV or boat trip with no scheduled stops or destination. The best trips. I say.

Last edited:
Another of my favorite live performances. They swear that they weren't on drugs.

Another of my favorite live performances. They swear that they weren't on drugs.

Aha! Saw them in Hamburg..or was it Berlin 1988 or so - the girls in their grey sweat suites distracted me from the music! :) But really - great tune(s)!

Don, Checking Donald Fagen`s 1982 "The Nightfly" CD, as good as anything SD did, "Walk Between the Raindrops" is the last track. Here is the title track to enjoy:

How about a song named for my boat!

Steve, we all like gumbo. How about posting something from around the Lafayette area like Chubby Carrier and his Bayou Swamp Band, or Rocking Doopsy with that big honking sax. You're in Mecca for Zydeco. Glad you checked in.

You guys really have great taste in music! :thumb:

Yes, Al, we have had some great music contributed. As you probably picked up my musical taste is very eclectic. I like most of it from classical to present day. However, I draw the line at grunge rock, heavy metal, and such that I consider just so much noise. No one has posted much in the way of jazz or blues. No blue grass although I'll look around for some Doc Watson stuff. It's good to see that so many really do appreciate music. It's food for the soul.

Not enough jazz and blues, Don? Lots of jazz I could post, but here`s someone who crosses the boundaries, Anita Baker. When I picked up some CDs in an NYC shop, they were in the soul section. Whatever genre she fits, smooth jazz is my thought, she is good.

Anita Baker, yes! I think she is about the closest thing we have to a modern day Ella Fitzgerald. One of my sons has a complete collection of her music.

Now, for a little Bluegrass flat top picking by Doc Watson.

Here is Doc playing with his band. His son Merle usually played rhythm and solo picking on the D31 Martin. With Doc being blind Merle looked after his Dad. No one expected Merle to die before his Dad. This is a little different sound from Doc. Great album.

Last edited:
Aren't there any Deadheads out there?

While we are waiting for the Deadheads, here's a very old Blue Grass song from Mac Wiseman. At Blue Grass festivals i have sat in a Winnebago, and Mac would sing as long as we were pouring the Jack Daniels.

Back
Top Bottom