Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is Citrus Sun,a kind of sub group/associate funk band of Incognito,with a cover of Ride Like The Wind. Clip could be set in Mexico, or Thailand, or...,there is actual wet stuff,boats, water, caves,snorkeling.

Last edited:
This is pretty,again from Citrus Sun. Just ordered their Ride Like the Wind CD.

Crosses lots of music borders,very listenable,and the tune,nice relaxed music.The man smiling on the cover pic is Bluey,the brains behind Incognito,born in Mauritius,resident in England.
Recorded/filmed in Rio? I can`t tell,there are hints(like Blue Note Rio on a sign), I just like it.

Last edited:
Good stuff, Bruce. I like it.:thumb:

Here's a couple that became standards in the U.S. Don McLean's American Pie, and Arlo Guthrie's City of New Orleans.

Last edited:
Might yet call my next boat "Incognito". Not a bad boat name, few people would know it`s a band, but I would. We`ve a boat called "Elusive" on our marina, a few days ago we saw a huge older but beautiful Hatt sports fisher, called "Infamous" (that they ran their genset and splashy water cooled fridges and a/c 24/7 is not to the point). But,there must be some band names which would do very badly as boat names.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. On the other hand there would most probably be band names that would be perfect boat names. I suggest as an adjunct to this thread, we start another to this point. Let me be the first...

Here are the Stampeders with Sweet City Woman.

and Peaches and Herb with Shake Your Groove Thing.

Well, I'm back in Florida on my boat. I think this number by Chuck Mangione describes the way I feel right now. Yep, it Feels So Good.

Last edited:
This one is for Zarih. Thanks for turning me on to Calum Scott. I really do like him.

I grew up not a big country fan and had never heard this song by Jerry Lee Lewis before. They used it in the final scene of episode 3 of the new True Detective the other night and my wife and I had the same stunned reaction: Holy s**t! :eek: Where did that come from?

Brilliant writing by Doug Gilmore and Mickey Newbury and over-the-top vocals by Jerry Lee.

The favorite musicians of my youth are all dead or doing final tours so I’ve been going to their concerts when ever I get the chance. A few nights ago I saw The Righteous Brothers. I didn’t have much hope for it to be a good concert as one Righteous brother is dead. Bill Medley, the Remaing Brother is 78, how much could he have left?

Wow was I wrong! He still dominates a stage. His self deprecating humor makes for a fun evening between wonderful songs. When he starts into You’ve Lost that Loving Feeling, you know his voice is as good as ever.

His duets with his daughter McKenna, let you know there is another great voice following him.

If you get the chance to see him, don’t miss it.

This video appears to be shot on someone’s phone at a concert so the quality isn’t the best but you’ll get the idea.

Thanks, Parks. It reminded me of a duet Bill Medley did with Jennifer Warnes for the movie, Dirty Dancing.

Ian, thanks for the Jerry Lee Louis contribution. He had a fresh, raw talent. Being cousins with Mickey Gilley and Jimmy Swaggart shows what a talented musical background he had.

I never knew this about Terry Bradshaw!!!!!

We lost noted French composer Michel Legrand a week ago. He wrote many songs, especially for film scores.
"What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life" came to mind, but the version had Bill Evans on electric piano,Bill Evans is great but not electric piano, for that song.
So I found Brian`s Theme, from "Summer of 42", a film about a teenage boy, and a young lady, at a summer beach resort. The pics tell the story, the music speaks for itself. Tinkling piano at first,but hang in there. How did that Thailand beach shot get there?

Last edited:
To remember Michel Legrand, I found this version of his "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life' by Laura Fygi. We`ve not heard from her previously, or Michel Legrand for that matter, she does his song proud.

We lost noted French composer Michel Legrand a week ago. He wrote many songs, especially for film scores.
"What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life" came to mind, but the version had Bill Evans on electric piano,Bill Evans is great but not electric piano, for that song.
So I found Brian`s Theme, from "Summer of 42", a film about a teenage boy, and a young lady, at a summer beach resort. The pics tell the story, the music speaks for itself. Tinkling piano at first,but hang in there. How did that Thailand beach shot get there?

Ahh, so nice to be reminded of Jennifer O’Neill again. Thanks, Bruce.

On movie themes, I’m always amazed by Carter Burwell, who does most of the scores for the Cohen brothers’ films. His Irish-inspired theme for Miller’s Crossing is, IMHO, a masterpiece.

OK, guys, here's an extra for you. How many of you old farts remember a radio show on Saturday mornings that originated on WCKY Cincinnati OH. I just drove through Cincinnati and thought of it. The two main characters on the show were Big John and Sparky, and the name of the show was There's No School Today. You younger guys and gals are excused from this. This goes back to the late 1940s and early 50s.

Here's their theme song.

Greetings,
Mr. M. Anne Murray didn't start her professional career until 1966 so IF the original series aired in the 40's/50's, it must have been another performer doing the theme song. NOT a criticism, just an observation...Good tune though.

No, RT, Anne Murray did not do the original version. As I recall it was a guy. I will look for the original. Although, Ann Murrays version I like better. I have sang that to my grandsons, and plan to sign it to my first great grand child on the way.

The other thing I try to do is read the book Watership Down to them. The first time I read it to my sons all the neighborhood kids would gather in our den for the reading.

I think I found the version on the Big John and Sparky Show.

Last edited:
OK, guys, here's an extra for you. How many of you old farts remember a radio show on Saturday mornings that originated on WCKY Cincinnati OH. I just drove through Cincinnati and thought of it. The two main characters on the show were Big John and Sparky, and the name of the show was There's No School Today. You younger guys and gals are excused from this. This goes back to the late 1940s and early 50s.

Here's their theme song.

Nice to know there’s something too far back for me to remember, Don. But I was on the Uncle Al TV show in Cincinnati as an eight-year-old, along with George Clooney . . . only about 12 years apart. The main thing I remember was the orangutan Uncle Al had on that threw up on live TV.

If any of you have ever been to a shag dance they probably played Solomon Burke's Cry to Me. It has a nice, easy beach music kind of beat.

The thought occurred to me that some may have never heard of shag dancing. There is a big worlds championship of shag dancing held at Myrtle Beach each year. Keep in mind that these two are world class shag dancers.

Last edited:
Thanks Don. I enjoyed that dance and the Louis Prima too.

Here's their theme song.

Don, I remember listening to WKRP in Cincinnati. They had a great news caster, Les Nesman. He did a wonderful job of reporting the great Christmas Turkey Drop disaster coining the phrase “Oh the Humanity” as the turkeys plunged to.... Oh wait, never mind.

Most of our faithful viewers realize that I have been stuck in the 70s for awhile So it got me to thinking how the 70s became such a great decade for popular music. Then it dawned on me that the drums and electric bass guitar were in the fore front of most songs. I heard an early version of Elvis Presley;s Burning Love.. It was good but not over the top. I then heard a later version in a concert. It sounded great. What was the difference? Drums. We were also switching from the string bass to the electric bass.

In the 60s one of the hottest shows on TV was Dick Clari's American Band Stand. Almost invriably when asked what makes a great song, the kids would say a good dance beat. The 70s was the decade of Don Cornelius" Soul Train. That brought soul music into the main stream,

When I originally saw Joe Cocker live he had the biggest set of drums behind him that I have ever seen There must have been 20 drums. I recently saw him in concert on video in Baden Baden, Germany with the same drummer with about 3 drums. He had toned down his act to the point that he did Van Morrison's great song Into the Mystique He was even accompanied by an acoustic guitar. He did a great job with the song. All drummers in the 70s were not loud. Mick Fleetwood for example with his smooth druns. He never stepped on any of his singers.

Here's a little history of Soul Train that I beleive premiered in 1970.

Last edited:
I have been trying to think of a song that showed the electric bass and drums and how they coordinated. Then it dawned on me that a song by Olivia Newton John and John Travolta did it very well. From the movie Grease here is Your the One I Want.

Last edited:
Let's crawl out of the 70s for a little while. Here's a modern number by George Michael. No matter how you felt about his private life, I think you will have to admit what a great talent he was. Here he is with Faith.

Last edited:
George Michael in the early "Wham!" days:
"Wake me up before you go-go, cause I`m not planning on going solo" Classy line!

He really could sing, but...

Last edited:
I think I like the Pomplamoose cover of Wake Me Up better than the original.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom