Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BB King is great, I like his collaboration "Riding with the King" album with Eric Clapton too

Steve, I was expecting you to have the answers to my two questions.:confused:

Here is Derek Trucks and his wife Susan Tideschi along with their band. Derek played slide guitar with the Allman Brothers Band. His uncle was the original drummer. Derek is arguably the best slide guitar player in the world. Everybody's Talkin'

Bound for Glory

Last edited:
I did know Lucille is his guitar, but no idea what B.B. stands for, without going to Google.
How about some Bonnie Raitt?

I did know Lucille is his guitar, but no idea what B.B. stands for, without going to Google.

Steve, correct. BB named all of his guitars Lucille. The first question was more obscure. I haven't checked Google to see if it's there, but I did a lot of listening to the old AM radio clear channel stations when I was driving over the road trucks at night in the 50s and early 60s. You may have also. WLAC in Nashville, WCKY in Cincinnati, WWL in New Orleans, etc. John R was the late night disc jockey on WLAC. He played a lot of BB King, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Gate Mouth Brown, etc. Early on BB was called Blues Boy King. It got shortened to BB. So, now you know. Now, I will see if Google agrees.

OK, here's a bonus to see who is older than dirt.

Does anyone remember Big John and Sparky and their Saturday morning radio show There's No School Today? Here's their theme song, Teddy Bears' Picnic.

Blues Boy...

Congratulations, RTF. You win a big ol' ATTABOY. I must have been typing when you posted that. I think you are telling your age here.

BTW, Google does agree. One source said Beal Street Blues Boy. I had only heard him called Blues Boy.

Thanks, Peter, for a very nice addition to the thread. It just shows there are many great musicians that didn't make it to big time popularity. I have found many good performers in local and regional groups. I hope you will add some more of your favorites.

I neglected to mention that Butch Trucks, Derek Truck's uncle, passed away a couple of weeks ago. Like Gregg Allman he was also 69 years old. He was a founding member of the Allman Brothers Band, and continued touring with them up to the end. Butch Trucks, RIP.

Here's the Band doing a number that Steve and I both like, Jessica. The Allman Brothers Band usually featured 3 drummers. Butch Trucks, who like me never believed a man should waste his harmones growing hair on his head, is featured in part of this number. Gregg Allman does a very creditable job on the organ, but the front guitar players are the main ones featured.

Greetings,
Mr. Moon. Thanks (post #427). Not only am I showing my age but "back in the day" I was fortunate to sit within 6' of BB and Lucille for 2, maybe 3 hours in a VERY small venue (about 15 people, if I recall). $5 for the evening. LOOONG time ago...

Here's a little Flatt and Scruggs on their early TV show. Remember you bake right with Martha White. This is brought as a public service for you guys up Nawth who may have missed this bit of Southu'n culture. You bake right with Martha White. Yessu, mighty fine eating. Remembu', you don't pronounce several r's and g's when speaking Southu'neze.

Last edited:
Let's go back for one more from the Tedeschi Trucks Band. This is a very smooth number, Midnight in Harlem. This is a great band.

Let's go back about 45 years with the Staple Singers.

Continuing in the blues mode, here is one from a "Guy" I have seen live several times. Buddy Guy doing Damn Right I've Got the Blues.

Have we heard from ABBA yet?

Here is one I don't think has been on yet. Even includes a cameo of Muanmar Gadaffi who was not Egyptian, and Lady Di.

Édith Piaf, about which Don already posted here, is without a doubt the most famous French singer, in France and abroad. Her songs include La Vie en rose, Non, je ne regrette rien, Hymne à l'amour, or for example La Foule. Her voice is filled with tragedy and is notable for the way she pronounces the letter "r". She was also an actress, both in plays and movies.

She was involved in many romantic relationships, but her only true love, Marcel Cerdan.

Hymne à l'amour (Hymn to love)
This song was written in 1949 by Édith Piaf and talks about her love for boxer Marcel Cerdan. She first sang it in September 1949 and, in October, Cerdan died in a plane crash while on his way to New York.

Hymne à l'amour here performed by Céline Dion, honouring victims of the November 2015 terror attacks in Paris that killed at least 130 people and wounded hundreds by gunmen and suicide bombers hit a concert hall, a major stadium, restaurants and bars, almost simultaneously.

PS. Sorry Don, I will not post in your great thread for a while, indeed in a few days I will leave to the US West coast, travelling from La Conner to Seattle, Gig Harbor, Tacoma, then Marin County CA where I will attend the 4th of July celebration in the Bay Area as every years since 2004.

This from a TF lurker that must be older than dirt to suggest this number.

Another suggested by our lurking friend

and one from me. Everybody Tighten Up

Yesterday night I watched a short American movie whose the music of the song "La Bohème", from Charles Aznavour illustrated a moment. Before leaving to my journey along the US North West coast, I cannot resist to post the song. Sorry the sound quality is not good, but the video has English subtitles for those who cannot understand French language, indeed it would be sad to not understand a word of the lyrics, La Boheme is all about relationships and emotions.
Aznavour released 52 albums, he turned 93, on May 22, 2017. He began performing in 1946, not ready yet to say Good-Bye, for our greater pleasure.

How about a little harmony from down under? These guys opened for Jimmy Buffet in Chattanooga back in the day and all but stole the show.

Little River Band, those guys were great!

Here's another guilty pleasure from Oz. These guys were reviled for their transition to disco, but they had some great tunes and some of the tightest harmony ever.

This is a talented bunch of kids doing a cover of a Fleetwood Mac number.

and throwing in a Simon and Garfunkel number

Last edited:
How about a little from one of the guitar slinging greats, Stevie Ray Vaughan. Here he is with Voodoo Child. Nothing was subtle about Stevie Ray.

SRV! lots of great music, here is one of my favorites.

Since we're into guitar-slingers, this guy was one of the most under-rated players ever IMHO. Just as Bill Nelson and BeBop Deluxe were in the verge of superstardom, he walked away from it all.

It takes a minute to get into this, but it's worth it if you like rock. The video quality is awful, but the tone, power and musicianship can't be disguised.

Thanks, Ian. I had never heard of BeBop Deluxe. You're right. The guy had what it takes for stardom. It's hard to imagine why a big label didn't sign and promote him. He could have been big.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom