Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before taking a beating for posting a rerun especially so soon, I have a reason for this. See if you can pick Margaret Hemingway in the video. I have always thought this song was about an imaginary harbor that exists in our minds. I don't think Jimmy Buffet was ever a particularly good singer, but more of a poet with his song words. At any rate he captured the imagination of his audience, and made a very successful career. Any way, this is a harbor we can escape to when we want. Just quietly think about it.

Good harmony on this one. This is truly unique.

Here's a little lady with a voice like an angel. I think has not appeared on this thread. Mostly just her and the guitar.

Thanks for that, Don. She was a phenomenal talent. Saw her in the mid-70s touring with Earl Scruggs. Such a tragedy Parkinson's claimed her voice.

- - - -

This one has special meaning for us. The first time we were in Rome, we were just wandering aimlessly and came across the Pantheon unexpectedly at sunset. The majesty of the building, the golden light, the buoyant mood of the crowd and a fine guitarist filling the square with the most melodic playing combined for one of those near-perfect moments. We stopped at a sidewalk cafe and just soaked it up. The wine was good, but not really necessary . . . the moment itself was intoxicating.

We went back two years ago and there he was again, which is where I took this brief clip, which doesn't do the guy justice. He's all over YouTube, so apparently we weren't the only ones he enchanted.

Thanks for that, Don. She was a phenomenal talent. Saw her in the mid-70s touring with Earl Scruggs. Such a tragedy Parkinson's claimed her voice.

- - - -

This one has special meaning for us. The first time we were in Rome, we were just wandering aimlessly and came across the Pantheon unexpectedly at sunset. The majesty of the building, the golden light, the buoyant mood of the crowd and a fine guitarist filling the square with the most melodic playing combined for one of those near-perfect moments. We stopped at a sidewalk cafe and just soaked it up. The wine was good, but not really necessary . . . the moment itself was intoxicating.

We went back two years ago and there he was again, which is where I took this brief clip, which doesn't do the guy justice. He's all over YouTube, so apparently we weren't the only ones he enchanted.

Ian,

Your guitar player sounds reminiscent to an earlier post on this thread. Roberto Luti (at about 3:04 on the video) style and slide sounds familiar. Do you think he could be your guy? I don't blame you for stopping to enjoy the moment. I have stayed for an hour or two listening to street musicians. A buddy of mine with me were walking down a side street in New Orleans when we encountered a street group singing in a doorway. We watched for awhile then started singing along. They invited us to sing with them. What a great time we had.

A side note about the Pantheon. I'm not certain about the year it was built, but the large dome had no records on it. Dome building became a lost art. That is until Brunelleschi's dome on the Florence Duomo. The Pope held a competition for the dome on St. Peters. Michelangelo won out over Brunelleschi, so got the job. I thought inquiring minds would want to know.:D

By the way, I think Roger Ridely, at the start of the video, has one of the best rhythmic guitar strums that I have heard.

Last edited:
Ian,

Your guitar player sounds reminiscent to an earlier post on this thread. Roberto Luti (at about 3:04 on the video) style and slide sounds familiar. Do you think he could be your guy? I don't blame you for stopping to enjoy the moment. I have stayed for an hour or two listening to street musicians. A buddy of mine with me were walking down a side street in New Orleans when we encountered a street group singing in a doorway. We watched for awhile then started singing along. They invited us to sing with them. What a great time we had.

A side note about the Pantheon. I'm not certain about the year it was built, but the large dome had no records on it. Dome building became a lost art. That is until Brunelleschi's dome on the Florence Duomo. The Pope held a competition for the dome on St. Peters. Michelangelo won out over Brunelleschi, so got the job. I thought inquiring minds would want to know.:D

I do hear some similarities, but they're different players. The guy I saw is named Ricky Mastantuono. Here he is digging deep. (Not my vid.)

I really like that mashup of "Stand By Me." Amazing that we can now put musicians half a world apart on the same track.

Thanks for the mini-tour of Italian churches. The architecture over there is truly awe-inspiring.

Two of my favorite guitar pickers, Chet Atkins and Mark Knophler, doing a medley of songs. The first is an old standard that our group did a tolerably good job on, I'll See You in My Dreams.

Chet Atkins, the dean of the country guitar pickers, showing his versatility. He could play everything for classical to classic country. Here he is with The Entertainer.

Last edited:
Seeing the great Chet Atkins reminds me of another fantastic yet often overlooked picker Jerry Reed

https://youtu.be/4jOMcAlO7rQ

Elvis Presley was trying quite unsuccessfully to record a cover of this song in the studio but couldn't get the sound that Jerry had. As the story goes he kept prodding the studio musicians tell one of them told him if he wanted that sound he needed a finger picker on guitar. Some phone calls where made and Elvis flew Jerry in to record this song. Here is Jerry's original 1967 version of it.

https://youtu.be/95V1XJZ2xYE

And now for something completely different... The Dead South

https://youtu.be/B9FzVhw8_bY

This clip brought a tear to my eye as I watched this episode on tv first run.

https://youtu.be/DOqrYmV1Xiw

Took a while for Jim Croce to become an overnight sensation but unfortunately we lost him far to soon. The only reason we have so many of his songs from such a short stretch of time is he practically lived in the studio before he died.

https://youtu.be/YEo06UdN9vI

Craig,

Chet and Jerry did a great many duets. Jerry was a serious guitar player, but his songs belied the fact. Sort of like Homer and Jethro. They were accomplished musicians, but their crazy songs hid that. My favorite by Chet and Jerry was Tennessee Stud (of course). I could only find poor quality Youtube recordings of it, so no post.

Before we leave Nashville here are 3 greats on the Grand Ole Opry stage. (sorry Olivier you will just have to endure this).

Last edited:
Before we leave Nashville here are 3 greats on the Grand Ole Opry stage. (sorry Olivier you will just have to endure this).

Don,
Thank you for posting "Go Rest High On That Mountain" such a moving song. The voices just good, beautiful harmony.

The very first time that I heard this song, I attended a close friend's funeral (NYPD Officer) killed by the collapse of one of the twin towers on September Eleven. The right song of praise.

I don't know how to download YouTube video but this is one of our favorites:
Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris , I Dug up a Diamond

Thanks CP . I'll figure it out one of these days .

Last edited:
beautiful, Marty. It is a little unusual in that Mark gives his rhythm guitar player a chance to shine with a solo roll. That's unusual because the number had two lead guitars.

Here's one I like, and it gets us back to a nautical theme.

I am surprised that Brothers in Arms has not made an appearance on this thread.

Last edited:
For a little change of pace here is the UOGB and Shaft.

Last edited:
The story of La Maison Bleue in San Francisco.

In the early 70’s, the young French singer Maxime le Forestier, 21, crossed over the Atlantic to spend a month in a house of San Francisco, experiencing the life of a hippie community in a blue-painted house set aside a San Francisco hill where everyone was welcome, where his American friends, Tom, Phil and Psylvia lived.

Back to France, Maxime received numerous letters from many people in San Francisco expressing friendship, support, sympathy, solidarity, good wishes and love. Speaking little English, Maxime was not able to write back, so he decided to write the song "San Francisco", the story of La Maison Bleue (The Blue House) for his American friends.

This song tells « There is a sky blue house/Built right up against the hill/ They all come on foot/they don’t knock on door/ Those who’re living here/got rid of the key/When San Francisco gets foggy/When San Francisco lights up/San Francisco where are you? ».

The song was an immediate success and launched the career of the French singer, over one million copies were sold.

But then the house had been painted green. In 2011 a French intern at the San Francisco Chronicle wrote an article about it. Word spread, and soon there was a clamor to have the house repainted in blue.

Shortly after, a French paint manufacturer offered to paint it for free. The owners, Amy Silverstein and Angela Padilla, agreed.

The French in San Francisco now have their Blue House back.

I had totally forgotten about this song and the Blue House, but recently when I arrived in San Francisco, I decided to check out this house - or was it strictly a figment of the French imagination ? I had heard that many French tourists had searched for this blue house, but no one had found it. Some thought it was in the Haight. Others thought that maybe it was in Berkeley.

Thanks to my friends in San Francisco, I walked down the block and found the number. La maison bleue de Maxime Le Forestier is located 3841 18th street, San Francisco where a plaque was hung by the French Consulate in San Francisco.

Attachments

• Img_3965.jpg
    Img_3965.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Img_3966.jpg
    Img_3966.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 49
  • Image23.jpg
    Image23.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Plaque.jpg
    Plaque.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
That is an awesome story Olivier. I'll go looking for it my next trip over to The City.

That is an awesome story Olivier. I'll go looking for it my next trip over to The City.

Thank you Craig, I appreciated your kind comment. If someday you would go there to see La Maison Bleu, you will make my day, I grow up with this song.
And I'm in love with the city.

Last edited:
Very nice post, Olivier. It's great that you told the story of the song. The pure sound of a nice voice accompanied by acoustic guitars is wonderful. The audience seemed to be singing along. That means it was a great song.:thumb:

Thank you Don, glad you liked the song also the story.

La Maison Bleue de San Francisco was one of our most favorite songs at high school, my classmates and I found listening to it, while dreaming to visit The City someday,

and of course.... "gonna meet some gentle people there" :) :

Olivier,

Being so long since seeing the movie, I looked up the recap of the plot of A Man and a Woman. The music has always brought to mind driving roads like the Corniche. Now I know why. I was very much into Formula One Racing along with World Rally series. I had a Jaguar XK120 modified coupe that was a replica of the Jaguar that won Le Mans 24 Hour. So, the music brings to mind driving a sports car with the top down on the Corniche. I don't remember if it was a dubbed English version of the movie, but at the time anything to do with racing I was up for. Probably the love story was second to that. Thanks for the memory.

Don, you owned a stunning sport car, I trust you much enjoyed it.
Jaguar C-Type (XK120 -C) won twice Les 24 Heures du Mans.

Sorry for my off topic post but stil about cars, I was in Monaco last weekend. Also I had the opportunity of a car ride all the way long the Monaco Grand Prix's track and I took photos. The 2017 Monaco Formula One race will be held in 3 weeks from now, the temporary in-town street circuit is almost ready.

Any Formula 1 pilot dreams to win on the Mythical circuit of Monaco which is slowest and hardest of the World Formula 1 Championship. The one that wins in Monaco deserves it because even a small error in the streets of the principality is fatal. The qualifications are always determining, the overpass being almost impossible.
Laps : 78
Circuit length : 2.1 miles.
Distance race : 161.5 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_3155.jpg
    IMG_3155.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3156.jpg
    IMG_3156.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3157.jpg
    IMG_3157.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3158.jpg
    IMG_3158.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3159.jpg
    IMG_3159.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3160.jpg
    IMG_3160.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3161.jpg
    IMG_3161.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 35
Olivier, I think my post was a little misleading. It was a standard XK120 coupe with engine modified to C Type specs. It was putting out close to 200 hp. It was arguably the fastest production car made at that time.

Here is a link to Jay Lano's Garage where he shows and drives a stock Xk120 coupe. That was back in my halcyon days. In other words when I was bullet proof.

The coupe Jay shows is blue. Mine was black. By the way there was no radio or music in that car. Didn't need it with that exhaust sound.

OK, it's back to music time. If you guys don't start posting some hot licks, I will put up some more ukulele music. That ought to get you going.:D

Well, a little ukulele. Don't make me put up more.

Last edited:
This one is for Pilou.

These kids are full of music, and have definitely created their own style.

Back
Top Bottom