Mirror on quiet waters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaBomba

Guru
Vessel Name
Looking Glass
Vessel Make
Carver 370 Voyager
For all the water lovers on the TF, and I would think that would be everyone or you wouldn't have a boat, this is a nice relaxing audiovisual presentation. You may even know where some of it was shot. Full screen, speakers up, enjoy.

Mirrors on Quiet Waters (HD1080p) - YouTube

Very nice pictures and they're shots ANYONE would love.

Here's a video I took last summer at the point where the Snake River flows into the Columbia River. It was the calmest I've ever seen that area in 30 years of boating here. Enjoy....

Columbia and Snake Rivers on a calm day - YouTube

Good video, fortunately where I am at we get a quite a few calm days or at least early mornings. Here is one looking out into Lake Ontario just after the fog burned off and one looking back to Port Dover.

Attachments

• 005 (Large).jpg
    005 (Large).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 004 (Large).jpg
    004 (Large).jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 86
Very nice pictures and they're shots ANYONE would love.

I beg to differ!!!!!!!

One of my great pet peeves as a large format B&W fine art nature photographer (wordy description, but accepted as the norm) is over photoshopped water scenes where the reflections are lighter in value than the skies/trees/mountains being reflected :mad:

An effect one step short of printing them on black velvet :banghead:

Last edited:
I think some of the shots in the video are quite nice. But in many of them I would agree with Murray. These days it's impossible to tell what's real and what's not but a lot if not all of the shots in the video look very heavily treated to me, some of them to the point of being no longer believable. And when it's been worked over to the point of not being believable it suddenly flops over into the realm of being almost corny. Murray's black velvet painting analogy is appropriate, I think.

But there are a few that really work well, I thought. None of them are the "exact mirror look" shots.

And Murray, we have to remember, a lot of people like black velvet paintings.

Of the paintings I have seen thus far in my life my absolute favorite is Monet's "La Pie" ("The Magpie.") It hangs in the Musee d'Orsay in Paris, but if Monet painted it today and then printed up a few thousand copies and distributed them to those roadside and parking lot painting vendors to sell, I'd bet money the black velvet paintings would outsell it a thousand to one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom