Old 07-26-2014, 06:29 AM   #21
FF
Guru

Very advanced radar systems on the launcher-transponder should have given a big ID "MH 17" on the radar screen based upon transponder (similar to AIS). I would assume that the launch operator was untrained and I would agree a moron.

Nope , they just had half of the complete system.

The could teack and launch , but not ID the aircraft , that was the second half of the system.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #22
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Applying the benefit of the doubt leaves a grossly negligent cock up of monumental proportions. I rate it as bad as Lockerbie.
Lockerbie was a well planned, deliberate attack against civilians. We don't know that was what happened to MH17. True, the result was the same, dead innocents, but the circumstances may have been completely different.

For now, I have to go with: "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."

- Napoleon Bonaparte

BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #23
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker;
For now, I have to go with: "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." [URL="http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/n/napoleon_bonaparte.html"
[/URL]

- Napoleon Bonaparte
I would exchange 'incompetance' for 'reckless indiference', and I am not sure what words I would ascribe to the looting of the bodies on the ground, barbaric comes to mind.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:27 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Very advanced radar systems on the launcher-transponder should have given a big ID "MH 17" on the radar screen based upon transponder (similar to AIS). I would assume that the launch operator was untrained and I would agree a moron.

Nope , they just had half of the complete system.

The could teack and launch , but not ID the aircraft , that was the second half of the system.
If that be so, inability to ID the aircraft is a compelling reason not to fire. Firing a deadly missile at an unidentified aircraft which might be a Ukrainian military plane, or might be a commercial airliner, or might be many things inbetween, is an appalling culpable inexcusable act.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Everyone ascribes what I consider "First World" warfare standards to an area that is decidedly not "First World". Not exactly a "Third World" to be sure but these "freedom fighters" are hardly as well drilled as say the Australian military. Ethnic wars in these parts have historically been quite barbaric by anyone's standards and when the participants act that way should come as no surprise to anyone aware of the history of this region.

I stand by my previous statement that flying passengers over an active war zone is stupid at best, criminally negligent at worst. Those of you that wish to voluntarily fly over this particular slice of the earth please by all means, book passage now and enjoy your flight as you will not be competing with me for a ticket.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote