Old 03-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Lobstering in Maine 1954

The boats, the traps and the electronics have changed, but the way of life remains the same.

I remember the two people mentioned in this film and represented the Estate of one of them.

And E.B. White: his son Joel became a well known Maine yacht designer and builder and his grandson Steve carries on the tradition at their Brooklin Boat Yard.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
Guru

Thank You, David and excellent diversion from the late winter in Iowa.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
CMS

City: Casco Bay
Thanks David!!

As an ex-lobsterman I can certainly relate. It is great to see how it was done in 1954 though. Video footage from that era is rare..

Interestingly enough not much had changed by the time I was fishing in the early 80's except I had a fiberglass Royal Lowell designed boat. She lacked the beauty of a Down East Beal's Island boat, though she was just as rolly... I suspect Eaton's boat was a Beals Island built boat and perhaps even built by Harold Gower.

Now days most guys are running plotters, some of them two plotters, radar, sounders etc.. The compass is still there but usually covered in fish entrails and usually not swung to within 3 degrees like Eugene Eaton's was.......

When I was fishing depth was my holy grail in the fog. My compass double checked the depth and the chart was there but so marked up with sets that the soundings were barely legible. In those days the only boats in the fog were boats meant to be there..

Today plotters guide the fishermen with electronic dots marking the sets. Instead of 140 traps, set as singles, the modern lobsterman fishes up to 800 traps (depending upon zone) set in strings but the job is not any easier. Today's wire traps save "spring soaking time" but they also get beat up in storms more easily.

Great video and thanks for sharing...!
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Thanks for posting that David. I have a strong respect for men who make their living from the sea. Mainers are very good story tellers.

I felt a connection with the marine hardware store owner. His shop looked like Hopkins-Carter in my childhood. I know exactly what his store smelled like, pine tar from the oakum. The smell would permeate the whole store. It was a wonderful smell.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:07 AM   #5
FF
Guru

"Today plotters guide the fishermen with electronic dots marking the sets."

Then why do they persist in stringing hundreds in the channels going from one buoy to the next across the right of way?

Brother in law a diver or own a tow service and boat yard?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:30 AM   #6
CMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Today plotters guide the fishermen with electronic dots marking the sets."

Then why do they persist in stringing hundreds in the channels going from one buoy to the next across the right of way?

Brother in law a diver or own a tow service and boat yard?
Because in Maine there are essentially no laws that restrict where traps are placed eg: there are no "right of way" areas.. They go where the bugs are and if they lose traps in a high traffic area it was worth the financial risk..

A good start would be to get rid of "toggles" (150% unnecessary) but no state rep or Senator has been willing to take up the fight...
Old 03-12-2016, 07:06 AM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. CMS. What are "toggles" please?
Old 03-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #8
CMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. CMS. What are "toggles" please?
Toggles are floats placed part way between the trap and the pot buoy. A lot of guys still use them, Down East, because "My grand pappy did."..
Old 03-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Yeah, them toggles can be a royal pain, especially with the tide going one way, the current another and a windy chop going still another.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #10
FF
Guru

"there are no "right of way" areas."

True but stretching lines inside the channel from one buoy to the next across the channel does seem inconsiderate.

YET They moan , when a boat with spur cutters just chops its way in to the harbor .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote