For John B... iPad on the flight deck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
John--- Just saw this tonight in the on-line Wall Street Journal.....

<table style="width:100%;" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr><td><a></a>
INTERVIEW: Boeing Pitches iPad-Based Navigation Charts To Airlines
The Wall Street Journal Online ** 10/06/2011
Author: Gaurav Raghuvanshi
factiva.gif
<br clear="all" />-- Boeing encouraging airlines to switch to tablet computer-based navigation charts
-- Boeing unit Jeppesen offers charts on Apple's iPad; plans Android application

-- Some U.S.-based airlines have started using iPads for navigation

SINGAPORE (Dow Jones)--Boeing Co. (BA) is pitching iPad-based navigation charts to airlines as an alternative to carrying volumes of paper manuals in cockpits as a new generation of pilots that is more comfortable with modern gadgets takes to the skies, a company official said Thursday.

"Everybody's looking at it (in Asia). Nobody's yet pulled the trigger, they're trying to understand the value, trying to close their business case," Sherry Carbary, the vice president for flight services at BoeingCommercial Aviation Services told Dow Jones Newswires in an interview.

United Continental Holdings Inc. (UAL) has bought 11,000 units of the device manufactured by Apple Inc. (AAPL) and Alaska Airlines has done away with paper manuals, Carbary said.

Airlines can simply download the application from the iTunes Store of Apple and get instrument charts and airport diagrams from Jeppesen, a Boeingunit, directly on the iPad. Updates will be automatically added to the application, making the process completely paper-less. Jeppesen will offer similar applications for Android devices in the future.

Jeppesen is the world's biggest navigational information, operations management solutions and flight training products and services provider by number of users. Pilots, ship operators and railway companies use Jeppesen charts and data for navigation.

Carbary, who oversees Boeing's flight crew, maintenance and cabin safety training as also navigation and crew operations services, said pilots can use the tablet computer in their "down time" while on the flight deck to refresh themselves on the latest updates to manuals or for training.

"From a pilot's perspective, you can be much more productive because you can not only look at your navigation charts while you are flying...you can go and review your manuals. So, you could actually even do some of your training while you are flying," she said. "That's the philosophy and a lot of airlines are looking at it."

Boeing, which has forecast the global airline industry will need about 460,000 pilots and 650,000 technical staff over the next 20 years, is seeking to do away with paper-based training where possible.

"We're trying to change from a paper-based training methodology in a classroom. For example the 787 was our first step into all digital. You can actually take it (training material) to your hotel room or home and do some of the training," Carbary said.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

"From a pilot's perspective, you can be much more productive because you can not only look at your navigation charts while you are flying...you can go and review your manuals.

Not coming to work and finding your co. mailbox full , of Jeppson and Book changes that have to be up dated will allow lots more time in the cockpit to do other things than install page after page of changes.

Always wondered how after 1600 hulls built there could still be piles of changes.

"review your manuals." is mostly done the week before you play "you bet your job" in the simulator.

The best part of an electronic manual is in depth information can be included , which would be a huge help with system problem solving , for tomorrows switch position "flight crews".

Nothing in a book would have helped Air France and their Air Bust.

<table style="width:100%;" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr><td>*</td></tr></tbody></table>"From a pilot's perspective, you can be much more productive because you can not only look at your navigation charts while you are flying...you can go and review your manuals. So, you could actually even do some of your training while you are flying," she said. "That's the philosophy and a lot of airlines are looking at it."
* * * * Wow! Although I completely understand how the iPad will make it much easier keeping, stowing & reviewing your charts, I also think that looking out the window from time to time is a good thing too! I realize that almost all airline flights are IFR and at altitudes that demand IFR, but studying the manuals & training while hauling people?

The same tecnology to replace the chart plotter on boats?

Touch screen,apps etc..

SD

SeaHorse II wrote:
<table style="width:100%;" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr><td>*</td></tr></tbody></table>
*I realize that almost all airline flights are IFR and at altitudes that demand IFR, but studying the manuals & training while hauling people?

*Walt--- If you fly in the jump seat of a commercial jetliner on a revenue flight today as I have many, many times all over the world, you find that the flight crew spends very little time looking out the window during the cruise portion of the flight as it is.* They are filling out paperwork, entering all sorts of information in logs and whatnot, and so on. And I've been on flights where one of the flight crew spent a fair amount of time reviewing printed material about the plane's systems or procedures or whatever.* So all* the iPad changes is one can now have a lot more information at one's fingertips and there is no need to cart all this information around in a big, heavy flight bag.

I once rode a 747 flight deck on a BA flight from London to San Francisco. I was invited up to the flight deck at about Iceland and stayed there for the entire rest of the flight including the landing and taxi to the terminal.* This was before 9/11 obviously.* When the flight crew wasn't filling out paperwork, reviewing various things, dealing with various functions on the flight deck, or talking to cabin crew members who came up, they were turned around in their seats talking to me. They almost never looked out the windshield as there was absolutely nothing to look at except clouds and sky.

Our great circle route took us straight down the length of Puget Sound, which neither pilot had visited before.* It was a relatively clear day so they had me telling them what this island or that island was and so on.* When we flew past the Everett plant I pointed it out and suggested that since BA most likely had some parts on order for their maintenance department they might like to go down and land at Everett to pick them up at which point they could let me off instead of me having to go all the way to San Francisco and then fly back.* They said they'd be happy to do this but they both had dinner dates that night in SFO and they didn't want to be late.

The point is, there is little reason to be looking out the windows, particularly today with all the various warning systems on the flight deck for traffic, weather, terrain, and the plane's systems and guidance.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 7th of October 2011 02:22:54 PM

OF course to rotor heads IFR means I Follow Roads .

With space provided by the IFR flight plan mostly Indian Country , below 10,000 -12,000 where Apachies and other small aircraft abound is where most cockpit eyeballs are looking for traffic ..

Marin wrote:I once rode a 747 flight deck on a BA flight from London to San Francisco.
Does this look familiar? This was taken on one of Pan Am's last SEA-LHR flights. Given the overexposure, it was taken just before starting the descent. This was one of the best jumpseat rides to Europe, with the return on FedEx to JFK. This particular trip was on the way to join the party chipping away at the Berlin Wall.

Attachments

• panam_02.jpg
    panam_02.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 69
SeaHorse II wrote:
*I also think that looking out the window from time to time is a good thing too! I realize that almost all airline flights are IFR and at altitudes that demand IFR, but studying the manuals & training while hauling people?
232323232%7Ffp73443%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D373957%3C362336nu0mrj

"but studying the manuals & training while hauling people?"

In Cruise , at altitude , the workload is totally minor.

I favored the WSJ , but it never lasted coast to coast.

Golf digest was popular with lots of crew.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom