Old 09-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
It's been a rough decade and bad year.

Let me first thank those that have shown me kindness and support over the years and through my health problems. Thank you all. It has been a rough decade. This year has been extremely bad. Just when we thought it couldn't get worse.

Before I get into that let me explain my situation. I have had the Great Loop dream since I found out about it in my mid 20's. It was a retirement plan, then health happened. I thought I would have a chance to experience at least some of the GL earlier than planned. It's not off yet but may get pushed out a few more years than the planned departure year of 2021.

Recently, after a long and difficult discussion, my significant other and I decided to separate when our son goes into the USAF in 2021. She wants to move back to KY to be with her children and be a grandmother to her granddaughter. My SO had two daughters before we met. I have an older son and we have a son together. While she is in KY with her children, I would go off on my grand adventure around the GL and see her off and on over the next few years until my return.

Now back to yesterday. My SO received an after-hours phone call from her gynecologist. She had an appointment last week and I took her to it. The doctor said everything seemed normal. She has had a pain in her leg and hip for years and never mentioned it to the gynecologist. It didn't seem to be related to any female issues. Turns out it's a sign of cancer in a woman's reproductive system. On the call, which I was allowed to listen to, the doctor had to tell her that it's a good chance she has cancer. The signs for it came back on her PAP test. He tried his best to get her to come in this morning for further testing. She scheduled a visit with him for two weeks later. After the call, I tried to get her to go in. She didn't want to miss work. Sure we could use the money but we can also tighten up and miss a meal out or two to make sure she's still with us.

At this point I am going out of my mind with concern for her health and she doesn't seem to concerned. I hope there was a test problem and the new tests, that will be done in two weeks, come back normal or at least something curable.

This year has been the worst. A year ago next month I was diagnosed with a benign pituitary tumor and have been receiving treatment for that. We have been in three wrecks since February. I was alone in one. None of them our fault. The only bright spot for her has been the birth of her first granddaughter. The bright spot for me has been my oldest son getting himself straightened out and in college.

Thanks for reading through my ramblings. I just feel like life is getting out of hand. I'm trying to stay positive and keep a good outlook on the future. Something has got to give eventually and things should start to get better.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Best future luck - Ben!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Wow, tough times Ben on a lot of fronts.

Keep posting though, sharing does help, even with us mugs!

And take the boat out for a day here and there, I always find that, when I just step on the boat, many worries just fall away for a time.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Ben it sounds like tough times for sure . Keep your head up and keep pushing on ,things will get better.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Ben, I second Menzies' comments about taking the boat out when you get a few hours. It always helps me get my head straight.

Keep on trucking. Things will get better.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
Guru

Thanks, fellows. We are sitting here doing research and trying to get a plan of attack just in case the news turns out to be bad. Surprisingly, it's lifting both our spirits.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #7

City: Charleston
Vessel Name: THIRD CHILD
Vessel Model: KADEY KROGEN 48AE
Keep plugging away and, like others said, take care of your soul and get out on the boat.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #8
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Yikes Ben. So sorry to hear about all the major health problems. I agree that talking about it and planning things out may end up helping your attitudes and outlook.

Let us know if we can help out in any way.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Ben, I'm 4 years into throat cancer from the HPV virus.(human Papilloma Virus) The Pap test is used to diagnose this in women. Do some research and find the best cancer hospital within a reasonable distance. Cancer centers have access to treatments and clinical trials not available to smaller hospitals
Good luck
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:59 AM   #10
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Good luck Ben, wish you the best. Keep hope, there's always light.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
Guru

Thank you everyone for keeping us in your thoughts and sending best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Keep plugging away and, like others said, take care of your soul and get out on the boat.

I'm currently boatless. I sold my fishing boat about 12 years ago to get back into motorcycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Yikes Ben. So sorry to hear about all the major health problems. I agree that talking about it and planning things out may end up helping your attitudes and outlook.

Let us know if we can help out in any way.

So far it has, but we can sense the fear in each other about the possible outcome.

Everyone can help out by keeping the threads and posts coming on the forum. I have been learning a great deal from everyone's threads and posts. This is my escape until I can cast off the lines myself and make the great escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnma View Post
Ben, I'm 4 years into throat cancer from the HPV virus.(human Papilloma Virus) The Pap test is used to diagnose this in women. Do some research and find the best cancer hospital within a reasonable distance. Cancer centers have access to treatments and clinical trials not available to smaller hospitals
Good luck
John

Thanks John. I hope you're well and in remission.

We have several very well known cancer centers right here in our county and close by. Gibbs Cancer Center has received many awards for their inventive ways for treating cancer. Of course, we will seek several opinions from different doctors before deciding what we feel is right for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Good luck Ben, wish you the best. Keep hope, there's always light.

L

Thanks. Somedays it's a bit difficult but we manage to keep it up.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. b2. Nothing I can say can change your situation. The good thing is, if there can be any good, is that you now know what what is going on. NOT any outcome yet but what is going on. The BEST cures are early diagnosis AND a positive outlook. You've got both.
Best wishes.
As an aside, the Admiral whipped throat cancer last year. Clean bill of health.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #13

City: Pompano Beach, FL
You want to seek out one of the national cancer institute designated comprehensive cancer centers. These are top notch teaching hospitals that receive significant government funding. These are where the first clinical trials usually occur for new therapies. They also see so many patients that they can spot the really odd stuff. There are no comprehensive cancer centers in Kentucky. I think the closest to you are Vanderbilt or Ohio state. A second opinion from one of these centers is well worthwhile even if treatment is carried out by a local doctor.

Good luck!
Mkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:27 AM   #14
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Best of luck Ben.
Thank you for sharing difficult situations and decisions.
Let's hope that this is the darkest moment and dawn will be coming soon.

May you have Fair Winds and Following Seas.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:25 AM   #15
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Dear Ben - I believe this song says what we all wish for you and yours!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. b2. Nothing I can say can change your situation. The good thing is, if there can be any good, is that you now know what what is going on. NOT any outcome yet but what is going on. The BEST cures are early diagnosis AND a positive outlook. You've got both.
Best wishes.
As an aside, the Admiral whipped throat cancer last year. Clean bill of health.

Thanks and happy to hear a good outcome for the missus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkeller View Post
You want to seek out one of the national cancer institute designated comprehensive cancer centers. These are top notch teaching hospitals that receive significant government funding. These are where the first clinical trials usually occur for new therapies. They also see so many patients that they can spot the really odd stuff. There are no comprehensive cancer centers in Kentucky. I think the closest to you are Vanderbilt or Ohio state. A second opinion from one of these centers is well worthwhile even if treatment is carried out by a local doctor.

Good luck!

Thanks for that bit of info. We are still in Spartanburg, SC until mid to late 2021 at the earliest for moving. I'll be researching with your info in mind. I'm hoping we can conquer this beast before then. It's difficult rearranging lives in the middle of dealing with a health crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Best of luck Ben.
Thank you for sharing difficult situations and decisions.
Let's hope that this is the darkest moment and dawn will be coming soon.

May you have Fair Winds and Following Seas.

Hey, Richard! Thank you.

I'm looking forward to more blog updates. I enjoy escaping into your posts. I'm ready to set off to Asia for some good food and adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Dear Ben - I believe this song says what we all wish for you and yours!

Thanks, Art.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #17
Guru

When I was first diagnosed it was at a local hospital. It was there that I had surgery #1. When they told me i had to go through 35 radiation treatments and 7 chemo sessions I did a google search for "best cancer hospitals in America". I settled on Penn (University of Pennsylvania) they put me on a clinical trial and two more surgeries. The trial used my own cells and turned them into "killer T cells". I was in remission 1 month after setting my foot in Penn. The difference between a National Cancer center and a local hospital is night and day.
John
Old 09-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #18
Guru

The local hospital also said I might lose all taste, some hearing, as well as speech and the ability to swallow. At Penn my doctor told me I had a 97% chance of being 100% cured.

I just did a search and MUSC in Charleston is #24 in the country for cancer and #18 for OBGYN.
Good luck
John
Old 09-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #19
Guru

Thanks, John. I'll be checking into them.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #20
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
I second Johnma s suggestion. My diagnoses was made by a local doctor that said I had nothing to worry about because Prostate cancer was slow growing and I would probably die of something else first. I did not like that diagnoses because I didnt want to die of something else!!!! I went to MDA in Houston for a second opinion.. They informed me the first diagnoses was wrong and that I had a FAST growing version of the disease and I had maybe 6 month to live if I didnt do something FAST.

I went straight to MDA and had it removed. That was 15 years ago.

Sometimes the second opinion is not so welcome,but in this case it saved me from dying 14 years ago.

My wife also was diagnosed with stage 3 Uterine cancer and her doctor sent her straight to MDA. That was 10 years ago.

We are both cancer free, not just in remission. We are, in their words, CURED,because we went to a major Cancer hospital, not a local.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote