iOS 13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcboatface

Vessel Make
Grand Banks 41EU
While I am at it, iOS 13 had got to be the worst piece of software (crap) that Apple has released in my 34 years of Apple use. Three updates in three days haven’t fixed a thing.

We can no longer use the Reply button in the TF app. It just doesn’t work.

I won’t even bother listing all of the apps, features and other things that no longer work. Hell, I can’t even get email to sync correctly using an Apple email account.

Open beta testing, eh? World of good it did them. Can we get Steve to come back to life? Please.

Keep us up to date as to when it gets fixed, please. I just set the automatic update function on my ipad to off.

The reply button seems to be working for me.... iOS 13.x. iPhone 11 Pro.

Haha. My iPad Air is so old it does not qualify for IOS 13. It is stuck on 12.4.1. Apple will squeeze some bucks out me yet.

Reply works for me too. Another update is coming today. They sure seem to have gone off the tracks.

iOS 13 broke something as simple as texting on my iPhone 6S. It took me 2 hours disabling all the new "animation" features and several reboots to get it working again. I look forward to the day when my phone is too old for Apple to continue updating.

I replied using the app. I’m running 13.1.2. I’m not sure when the problem is.

Same here. No problems on the iPads and we like the new features.

And my adult children will continue to berate me as a Luddite because I persist in using crappy Android phones. Each to his own.

And my adult children will continue to berate me as a Luddite because I persist in using crappy Android phones. Each to his own.

Wifey B: Yes, Windows, PC, Android, all bad bad bad...NOT!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Over and over I hear of complaints and issues with iStuff, especially when trying to access web sites. We just don't do iStuff and have very few problems in business or personal, in computers or tablets or phones. :D

Your adult children may berate you but Samsung, by itself, outsells the iFruit people. I do worry about too much tied to google, but then I worry about too much tied to Apple. Hubby's always been firmly Windows and Android and long ago convinced me it was the only way to go. :)

One thing I do hear from iUsers is how things have changed from the days they first drank the koolaid. Systems aren't as simple and intuitive, security isn't as un-penetrable, and additional costs are not as easily justified.

Now, I admit to never using iStuff as much as others but we do use it to test, side by side vs other stuff and just doesn't do anything for us. Sorry about you and your iOS 13 issues and for all you happy iStuff users I do hope your problems are few. :)

Wifey B: . . . and for all you happy iStuff users I do hope your problems are few. :)

You mean as in being able to count the number of times I’ve needed to call tech support on 1.5 hands? :)

Wifey B: Counting the web team or just internal IT? :ermm:

Just the folks who have to untangle software and hardware issues.:rolleyes: I just set up an HP printer and laptop for a relative. Had to call tech support twice to decipher incomprehensible directions and online prompts that locked up installs. Two hours of my life I’ll never get back. It was a reminder of why many of us adopted Apple products early and stayed with them: the sheer ease of use, elegance of design and reliability of the platform. Granted, Apple wasn’t always business-friendly and the gap with competitors has been narrowing. But the company has been one of the most innovative on the planet and is largely responsible for advances in customer friendly tech others have been forced to adopt to keep up.

I have become completely convinced that the main purpose of these "upgrades" is to break your device, or at least slow it down to the point that it is so useless, that you just give up and buy a newer model.

My favorite IOS feature is extremely old. I was lucky enough to mistakenly purchase Apple stock when Jobs was fired for $26. It has done well.

Just the folks who have to untangle software and hardware issues.:rolleyes: I just set up an HP printer and laptop for a relative. Had to call tech support twice to decipher incomprehensible directions and online prompts that locked up installs. Two hours of my life I’ll never get back. It was a reminder of why many of us adopted Apple products early and stayed with them: the sheer ease of use, elegance of design and reliability of the platform. Granted, Apple wasn’t always business-friendly and the gap with competitors has been narrowing. But the company has been one of the most innovative on the planet and is largely responsible for advances in customer friendly tech others have been forced to adopt to keep up.

Wifey B: Around 40. :blush: Web group is about double that.

However, we handle the phones and tablets and computers we use at home and on the boat and very seldom have needed tech support. On our Samsung phones and tablets, don't recall ever needing them. :)

Printers are a different story, but the problem is greater with Apple simply because companies like HP are windows first, iOS second.

I think Apple's strong points just aren't as advantageous as they once were.

Wifey B: Around 40. :blush: Web group is about double that.

However, we handle the phones and tablets and computers we use at home and on the boat and very seldom have needed tech support. On our Samsung phones and tablets, don't recall ever needing them. :)

Printers are a different story, but the problem is greater with Apple simply because companies like HP are windows first, iOS second.

I think Apple's strong points just aren't as advantageous as they once were.

It’s good that your experience has been better than mine. And I’ll acknowledge that my Windows skills have lapsed a bit since retiring. But one of my depts, which did some fairly heavy lifting developing web tools, had more than their fair share of calls to IT for Windows issues while the creative folks, using Apple gear, sailed merrily along.

I do agree with your last point about the advantages narrowing, which happens a lot to innovators over time. :flowers:

Angus it is true. Windows (generic) has been trying to replicate the Apple system. My kid has a non Apple phone and has had to replace it twice in the past five years, my Apple phone is seven years old and no problems or viruses and I’ll probably get the new one this year just for increased battery life.

I’m not smart but I did buy Apple stock about 20+ years ago and sold it when Jobs died (made a new high today).

Angus it is true. Windows (generic) has been trying to replicate the Apple system. My kid has a non Apple phone and has had to replace it twice in the past five years, my Apple phone is seven years old and no problems or viruses and I’ll probably get the new one this year just for increased battery life.

I’m not smart but I did buy Apple stock about 20+ years ago and sold it when Jobs died (made a new high today).

Irv, it kills my soul to admit that I bought 1,000 shares of Apple way back when it was tanking. When it started to recover, then doubled, I sold it and congratulated myself for being a financial genius. If I’d kept it, I might have boat as big as yours! :banghead:

Angus my dad told me never look backwards at investments, look to the future. Short story, many years ago a friend I went to school with (dumb as a box of rocks) wanted me to invest in a start up company that could send a signature from coast to coast in seconds. I said I can send it special delivery for cents and have it there in a day. Thought the idea was total BS and never saw a need. That idea became FAX and today my friend is a billionaire (really) and I have the dumb box of rocks. LMAO. When we talk he ends the conversation by saying remember when I tried to get you to invest and I hang up on him. We do laugh about it.

:) Yep, hindsight sometimes means staring at your own rear end.

iOS 13 is OK so far on iPhone and iPad

I have a new, latest gen, iPad and a "dinosaur" of an iPhone - 5S model. Both are updated with the new iOS 13+. I don't use all the apps on either device but so far I haven't found any problems. I used to wait and only install a new release for several weeks but haven't waited lately. I am sure that will bite me in the a** some time though.

Yes, yes, yes. Over-priced and less intuitive. Plus, it seems all I-pads suffer from glare problems sometimes to the point of uselessness on upper helms. Our two Samsung Tab S4s do not. I have an I-Pad. It sits in a drawer unused. I took a chance on the Samsung. I would NEVER go back to any Apple product.
Wifey B: Yes, Windows, PC, Android, all bad bad bad...NOT!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Over and over I hear of complaints and issues with iStuff, especially when trying to access web sites. We just don't do iStuff and have very few problems in business or personal, in computers or tablets or phones. :D

Your adult children may berate you but Samsung, by itself, outsells the iFruit people. I do worry about too much tied to google, but then I worry about too much tied to Apple. Hubby's always been firmly Windows and Android and long ago convinced me it was the only way to go. :)

One thing I do hear from iUsers is how things have changed from the days they first drank the koolaid. Systems aren't as simple and intuitive, security isn't as un-penetrable, and additional costs are not as easily justified.

Now, I admit to never using iStuff as much as others but we do use it to test, side by side vs other stuff and just doesn't do anything for us. Sorry about you and your iOS 13 issues and for all you happy iStuff users I do hope your problems are few. :)

iStuff vs. OtherStuff

I have a Samsung tablet and my wife has one too, both with Android (not Chrome). I found them completely unintuitive. I was so disappointed. Even after a year with them, trying to help my wife do simple things, I have trouble figuring out how to those simple things. I have been a PC and Windows power user for (literally - ack!) decades. I started using Apple computers back when they first came out and did off and on for many years.

Four years ago I bought a MacBook Pro. Wow - what a difference. It was intuitive for the most part, but just like every PC I have had, and certainly like the Samsungs, it had poor iOS upgrades. And somethings were anything but intuitive. But geez, I loved my Mac. I did not get a new one when it finally died because the new Macs are "too" expensive, so I went back to Windows laptops. I have had similar experiences with them with new WinOS upgrades.

I am now fighting the Dell Windows system because it wants to hijack my data files and put them in the OneDrive "cloud" and charge me for the "privilege". I now am kicking myself for not getting a Mac again. I did get an iPad and I love it. It is so much easier to use than my Samsung. The Samsung sits in the corner on its charger waiting for the day I come back to use it for something. My wife still uses hers but only for email and games. She, and I, still can't figure out how to do many things on that are easy-peasy on either the iPad or my PCs.

I have heard that Chrome is much better but I distrust Google so much that I never use Google for any searches although I do use Gmail. Gmail is easy to use across platforms so I keep it. Not so MS email.

So from my extensive experience, and in my own opinion, I prefer iStuff anytime over OtherStuff. But that is like having arguments over the best anchor. Everyone has their own preferences. I have seen though, that a lot of people who say they hate iStuff often have never really used it much. I can guarantee you that my new iPad has a better display than my Samsung. The generation you use makes a huge difference so you can't compare iStuff from 5 years ago to new OtherStuff now.

Just make what you prefer, and like, work and be happy. And BTW, my anchor is better than your anchor!

The One Drive is strictly optional so hijacking is your choice.

Now, from a business standpoint.

We can outfit a company with equivalent Android tablets and phones for 30-40% of what it would cost with iPads and iPhones. Same on computers vs. Apple products but there it's not really a choice as business applications are not found in Apple. Even businesses which once used iPads and iPhones have largely switched.

An excellent example is schools. In 2014, Apple was 50%, Chromebooks were 38% and Windows was 12%. In 2016, Apple was 19%, Chromebooks were 58%, Windows was 23%. My guess today (and this is a guess as no data out yet) is that Apple is less than 5% with Chromebooks around 2/3 or 67%.

We just went through this for schools where we needed about 1300 units. The discounted price of iPads was $299 but then if you wanted to add anything to it, that cost too. Even a port to plug accessories into. Apple Pencil is $89. Chromebook was $139, Windows was $169.

There are also other issues favoring the swing away from Apple. Far more people with Android phones so use to the systems. More with Windows computers. Just in the schools, in a poor area, virtually no students had iPhones so they were familiar with Android.

Now, Apple has made efforts to regain some school market but they don't seem to yet grasp the competition. They brought their prices way down but still more than double the competition. I think they should worry with all the kids learning on other products. I know school systems with 20,000 high school students that have switched from iPads to Chromebooks this year.

In my opinion, Apple has a real concern of becoming the system for engineers and wealthy people but not ordinary consumers and businesses.

Now, we sell Apple in our phone stores. I'm amazed how many people will buy a $30-40 phone plan and buy $900 iPhones or $800 Samsungs. However, the vast majority who buy cheaper plans, buy $100 phones instead and they are all Android.

Don't read this long reply unless you care about the subject

The One Drive is strictly optional so hijacking is your choice.

I agree with you about Apple being a rich kids' computer, at least in college.

Regarding OneDrive, it was not my option, or at least my knowledgeable decision. I am used to a cloud where I can remove entire folders from the cloud and keep them on my local drive. And, I expected I would have all the folders and files on my local drive to start with, or if not, to have full control over where they would be at any time forward.

This is not the case, at least not an option after a dozen emails to tech support and a lot of online research. When I setup my brand new Asus laptop last year with Win10 I did not have the same experience as I just went through with my Dell. Once OneDrive gets your files and folders, the "directory" is the same except that you can't download entire folders at a time. You have to do one file at a time. After uploading 5GB of files and folders it would take a months to download file by file and probably make a zillion errors and lose files and the organization of those files.

In the meantime I got nags from Microsoft that my OneDrive directory was full and I needed to buy more space. There was no way to undo what had been done. I did not expect that - at all!

So I completely reinstalled Win10 and wiped my old file/folder "directory". Luckily I went through this nightmare right after getting the laptop set up and I kept the USB stick that had the files I was transferring from my Asus to the Dell. After reinstalling Win10, I made sure OneDrive was unlinked as best I could. It is actually very hard to do with several places you can screw it up. I made it so that all files were both local and on OneDrive. OneDrive would have taken everything again except that MS wanted me to pay first for more space.

I didn't do that so I wasn't going to worry about it. Well, I now get daily notifications that my OneDrive is full and I need more space. I deleted two unwanted files off of there so it is just shy of the free amount. Now I get daily notifications that I am about to fill it up and need more space.

I use Apple's iCloud and I have never had this problem. I wouldn't mind if it was easy to understand and you could make an intelligent decision with all the facts up front but it was very confusing. And I am not a noob with PC's. You are more expert than I am I guess. That's good. Based on online queries I am not the first person to misunderstand how OneDrive works.

My apologies for this rant/explanation to Trawlers Forum as it is more suitable for computer forums. I am just responding to the comment made and it is still a sore point with me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom