Invictus Games 2018 for Service Personnel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
The Invictus Games are being held in Sydney.I know how strongly countries support their injured veterans,this is an important annual event.

Invictus means undefeated or unconquerable. The name is a tribute to the spirit of those involved, men and women of the military services worldwide, who have suffered debilitating injury, physical or psychological,in their service. A hundred countries are represented, USA and Canada included.
The opening ceremony at the Sydney Opera House was delayed by a massive thunderstorm.Lots of wheelchairs, many amputees-some multiple,the blind,those physically preserved but affected by PTSD,disabilities of every kind imaginable, and some not. These are people confronting adversity. Some already overcoming it, some at the start of that journey. and everything inbetween,and most importantly, supporting each other. It`s a kind of Paralympics,on steroids.

Lots of volunteers on hand to ease the process. Prince Harry, the Games Patron, and his new bride Meghan Markle(aka Duke and Duchess of Sussex) are there.

Today is sailing on Sydney Harbour. Yesterday was gymkhana style driving, held on Cockatoo Island in the upper harbour, using courageously provided weather challenged Jaguar SUVs.
Let`s give a thought to these wonderful people striving to overcome adversity and support each other. And most of all, let`s wish them lots of fun doing it!

Just watched a breaststroke swimming race on TV. One competitor had no legs and one arm. Not a quick swim, but inspiring to see people who lost mobility in the service of their country persist in adversity. So impressive. Camaraderie between competitors is striking.
The assistance dogs have their own enclosure and attract many visitors.
I learned that Prince Harry is not only the Patron, but also founded the Games. He served in the Military, including in Afghanistan. I`m no great royalist,but good on him. He did an interview (with a a guy in a chair with no legs, who plays wheelchair tennis),and presents very well.

Back
Top Bottom