Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 03:34 PM   #101
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
I'm not the only one that noticed. I'm just the one that called you on it.

Because, as I said early in the thread, there were, on the Internet, 4.1 million mentions of "trump inverted yield curve". Presumably most of those had the intellectual integrity to admit that they were Trump Hate. This thread did not have the intellectual integrity of the others.

After you start a thinly disguised Trump hate thread every week or so for a while, it's kinda predictable.

It's in the news today, the FED Chairman said no recession. Sorry Trump haters.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:34 PM   #102
Bud

City: KEY COLONY BEACH
Vessel Name: Izzy Rose
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We can do some things with greater advantages that make it worthwhile. You work within the confines of the world you live in. Years ago I had to move production off shore to protect jobs on shore. I was making commodity products that had no room for higher costs. Those products for those customers can't be moved back to the US.

It's no different than retail and brick and mortar. It works when the right products and done certain ways. Successful retailers today have found a way to integrate brick and mortar and online.
So we can"t do it it cheaper but on somethings we can do it Better!

My only lingering thought would be for new technology to be developed to solve a problem or increase efficiency the need or demand has to be there. Right now cheap labor in China and such are allready solving that problem, if that was not an option then you would have an increased need or demand for those problems to be solved with improved or new technology.
The examples I would use would be Uber, Lyft and maybe Airbnb. Those businesses use technology to improve efficiencies shared resources.

Bud
Old 09-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #103
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Wifey B: Obviously you made a wrong turn into this thread as the door was clearly marked.

As to your left-handed bowline, it sure looks right handed to me. I'd suggest more practice.
Practice is good, but you are looking at it upside down.

I read the first post and the last one before this and made a snap decision it was not about boating. Doubt there was much in between about boating either. Look, ot don't look for me elsewhere on TF.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #104
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
I yearn for the days of 4% - 6% tax frees.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #105
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
So we can"t do it it cheaper but on somethings we can do it Better!

My only lingering thought would be for new technology to be developed to solve a problem or increase efficiency the need or demand has to be there. Right now cheap labor in China and such are allready solving that problem, if that was not an option then you would have an increased need or demand for those problems to be solved with improved or new technology.
The examples I would use would be Uber, Lyft and maybe Airbnb. Those businesses use technology to improve efficiencies shared resources.

Bud
Uber and Lyft may not be the best examples as neither one is profitable.

Yes, we can develop equipment, but then so can China and they have it in certain industries.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #106
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post

I read the first post and the last one before this and made a snap decision it was not about boating. Doubt there was much in between about boating either. Look, ot don't look for me elsewhere on TF.
I am not sure what your point is, apart from confirming that this was the right forum for this topic?

Harbor Chat (30 Viewing)
Friendly, professional, informal exchange of "NON-boating" topics. Political comments, government policy, weaponry, religious and social issue discussions are off-limits in this forum.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #107
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post

Wifey B: It's in Harbor Chat.

Harbor Chat Posting Rules and Guidelines
Friendly, professional, informal exchange of "NON-boating" topics.

So, you're right, it's not about boating. Now I'm trying to figure out what "ot" means. Can mean Off Topic but generally capitalized.

Also, not supposed to be political comments, government policy, weaponry, religious and social issue discussions are off-limits in this forum. I don't think Menzies initial post was any of those things, just a concern that recessions may follow certain market behavior.

You're right I was looking upside down. Now, I know why we use port and starboard and not left and right.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #108
Bud

City: KEY COLONY BEACH
Vessel Name: Izzy Rose
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49
Quote:
Uber and Lyft may not be the best examples as neither one is profitable.

Yes, we can develop equipment, but then so can China and they have it in certain industries.
Thats true they havn't shown a profit yet. But look at Amazon they got away with it for years. Growth seems to trump profit on new technology
Old 09-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #109
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I am not sure what your point is, apart from confirming that this was the right forum for this topic?

Harbor Chat (30 Viewing)
Friendly, professional, informal exchange of "NON-boating" topics. Political comments, government policy, weaponry, religious and social issue discussions are off-limits in this forum.
If it was a boating topic, it would be in the wrong place.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #110

City: Hawaii
What nonsense. Do people pay good money for that kind of advice?

“Coincidence is not causation.” Author Unknown
Old 09-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #111
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMaritime View Post
What nonsense. Do people pay good money for that kind of advice?

“Coincidence is not causation.” Author Unknown
Which post are you referring to? Which "advice."

Explain your quote's relevance, especially what you think the coincidence is.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #112

City: Grants Pass
Inverted yield curve and 4-8X overpriced stock market

There is much more involved than many think.

USA has effectively been in a depression for many years, all covered up with lying propaganda of the actual health of the economy, supplanted with huge debts in all areas, and the US Treasury Dept manipulating up the stock market, using the people's money, and killing diligent investors far on the correct side of fair value. When the market goes up, the economy and society worsens as the middle class loses from the widening wealth divide.

Actual real GDP growth negative for most all the past 20 years and BEFORE accounting for the typical 5 to 7 percent of GDP yearly increase in the national debt. Note also states debt is around $7 trillion.

So could we go into a recession with the inverted yield curve? That's a loaded question. The answer is, it doesn't make sense as we are in worse shape than in a recession currently.

The middle class is being hit 24/7 with lying propaganda. Those who are not asleep realize their cost of living is going up, their bank interest still mostly hijacked, and if investing based on historical valuations of the stock market for an economy in the toilet compelling one to short the market and being unjustly forced to lose, and know there is no economic recovery.

I dug into the BLS number a few years back to arrive at a 26% unemployment rate. Yes, I excluded the groups that should not be included. I estimate the actual unemployment rate is now 24%, and this does not mean an improvement when the quality of jobs keeps going down. Sure you hear about all the many months of 200K jobs added per month TO FOOL THE UNINFORMED PUBLIC as with population growth we need about 170K new jobs added to be at BREAK-EVEN! Where are the acclaimed economists to point to this? Where are the media pundits on this? Why must I have to come out and show the sham of what's going on? It's a conspiracy or the broad public including the popular economists take too much of the government's figures at face value, not questioning the validity.

Armed with immense knowledge and of knowing in bad times PE ratios compress to about half of normal (and normal is a PE around 12 to 13, not 15-16 as many would like you to believe as the higher range is greatly influenced by the ONE TIME effect of the middle class HURTING THEMSELVES by piling into the stock market since the 1990's), it points to large and mid-caps as 4 times overpriced and small caps at 8X overpriced status. So why wouldn't people be wanting to buy bonds to push yields down? I wonder why many of these persons do not short sell the market as greater returns should be made unless they have greater faith in the haters of humanity in both the US Treasury Department and Federal Reserve to keep manipulating up the stock market against fair value and thereby ruining society and crippling the economy. I will make this clear again, the middle class gets hurt when the stock market goes up, even when those in the middle class go long the market and are getting nominal gains. Think hard on this and you should be able to figure it out, hopefully.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #113
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
But Real, what anchor do you use?

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #114

City: Hawaii
Good call Real Economy. With no fixed yard stick to gauge anything by, GDP, CPI, unemployment, poverty and cost of everything, you name it, much wool can be pulled over the eyes of the average person. Every time I here a talking-head financial genius on TV say "we are just going to print the money" its like fingernails on a caulk board. The US does not devalue its currency by printing money anymore. We haven't done that since the mid 1950's. We devalue our currency by creating money out of thin air electronically. The only paper bills the US prints today is to replace the worn out bills that are return by the banks. As a percentage of real inflation adjusted GDP this is a tiny fraction of what it was in the 50's when half the population was still paid in cash and no average person had a credit card, direct deposit or even a checking account. Some people had saving accounts in little books like a passport.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #115
Guru

Damn, Real Economy probably found us with a Google Search and joined just to post that.

Have to applaud him for the effort though
Old 09-06-2019, 09:19 PM   #116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMaritime View Post
Good call Real Economy. With no fixed yard stick to gauge anything by, GDP, CPI, unemployment, poverty and cost of everything, you name it, much wool can be pulled over the eyes of the average person. Every time I here a talking-head financial genius on TV say "we are just going to print the money" its like fingernails on a caulk board. The US does not devalue its currency by printing money anymore. We haven't done that since the mid 1950's. We devalue our currency by creating money out of thin air electronically. The only paper bills the US prints today is to replace the worn out bills that are return by the banks. As a percentage of real inflation adjusted GDP this is a tiny fraction of what it was in the 50's when half the population was still paid in cash and no average person had a credit card, direct deposit or even a checking account. Some people had saving accounts in little books like a passport.
Seems the admins need to check the IP Address of "first ever post" Real Economy and Pro Maritime or Boat.

Wonder what They will find?
Old 09-06-2019, 09:23 PM   #117
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Real Economy,Please tell us about your boat?
Old 09-06-2019, 09:32 PM   #118
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Real Economy,Please tell us about your boat?
Wifey B: He doesn't have one. The economy is too bad.

So another member choosing a second id to hide identity or someone just finding us at random?

I think there should be a new rule. You should have to make 10 quality posts before you go off the deep end on a rant.

I'm not even getting into how I feel about what he posted, I don't like people who have never participated in the forum showing up just to be controversial.

V..e...r.....y suspicious.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:38 PM   #119

What they would find if they cared to is one who is trying to inform the public of what is really going on. I propose actual solutions addressing the underlying problems. I contacted dozen in Congress but they continue going after the superficial nonsense and thus never addressing the widening wealth divide and manipulated up stock market. All the big names who complain about the wealthy gobbling up the wealth of this nation, I contacted and asked them under the FOIA to obtain the records of the US Treasury Dept manipulating up the market since March 2009, and particularly on Dec 26, 2018, a day that SHOULD live in infamy as the market got manipulated up like no time ever in history. I wrote the Federal Reserve over three hundred times to give them a piece of my mind. I doubt anyone has done that much.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #120

Suspicious of what? I know someone who participates here and he sent me a link to this story via email. So you tell me why logically or for any other reason why my words must be considered suspicious. I do not follow your line of reasoning (or whatever emotions trigger you to say what you did). So this site shouldn't allow me to opine based on what?
Closed Thread